The Perfect Holiday Dessert Recipe, This European-Inspired Raw Pear Tart With Cashew Cream Will Delight Even The Most Adamant Non-Vegan. For Many More Global Vegan Recipes, Pick Up Mark Reinfeld's Cookbook The 30-Minute Vegan’S Taste Of Europe.
The perfect holiday dessert recipe, this raw pear tart with cashew cream will delight even the most adamant non-vegan.
The perfect holiday dessert recipe, this raw pear tart with cashew cream will delight even the most adamant non-vegan. Raw Pear Tart with Cashew Cream and Fresh Berries
Recipe from The 30-Minute Veganâs Taste of Europe
by Mark Reinfeld.Â Excerpted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong
, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright (c) 2012.
Yields 1 (9-inch) tartCrust:
- 1 cup finely chopped pitted dates (try Medjool)
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, coconut nectar, or pure maple syrup to taste
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave or coconut nectar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg, or ground cardamom, or allspice
- 2 large ripe pears, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 pint fresh berries, rinsed and drained well
- Mint leaves
More tasty vegan dessert recipes!
- Place the cashews in a small bowl with 2 cups of water. Prepare the topping: Place the lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large shallow dish and mix well. Add the sliced pears and gently coat well.
- Prepare the crust: Oil a 9-inch tart pan. Place the pecans in a food Â processor and process until finely ground. Add the dates, cinnamon, and cardamom and pulse-process until the ingredients are just ground Â up. Do not over-process or your crust will be too gummy.
- Transfer to the tart pan and press down firmly to create the crust. The mixture should be holding together. If not, return to the processor and process a bit further. Depending upon the moisture of the dates, you may need to add a small amount of water or liquid from the topping to help hold the crust together.
- Prepare the cashew cream: Drain and rinse the cashews well. Place them in a strong blender along with the 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water and agave nectar. Blend until creamy. The amount of water you will need will depend on the strength of your blender.
- Spread an even layer of the cream over the crust. Creatively place the pear slices on top of the cream. Try forming a spiral where each pear slice slightly overlaps the one next to it.
- Decorate with fresh berries and mint leaves. If you have more time, chill for 15 minutes or more before serving.