These colorful savory cakes are quick to fix and can be made ahead and reheated in the oven.
Broccoli sweet potato cakes
- 1 pound broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot, combine broccoli, sweet potatoes, onion and water.
- Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and use a potato masher to mash the ingredients together.
- Add thyme and season with salt and pepper. Mash again.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Divide broccoli mixture into 10 patties.
- In batches, adding more oil if needed, cook the patties for 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot with vegan butter and sour cream.
Cook's note: You can make these cakes up to two days ahead, let them cool completely, and keep them refrigerated until you're ready to serve them. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and place cakes on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through and crisp on the outside.
More vegan potato recipes
Vegan potato curry
Vegan sweet potato perogies
Sweet potato pancakes with cinnamon whipped cream