The Delicious Sweet Crunch!
If you ever envy non-vegans who crunch and munch away on toffee, you no longer have to watch them wishing you could have something as sweet and buttery melt in your mouth. As with so many butter- and dairy-based desserts, a few simple substitutions is all you need to sink your teeth into your very own vegan treats. This toffee recipe swaps in vegan butter with equally delicious results.
Vegan toffee recipe
Take a bite of toffee to satisfy a candy craving or crush it and sprinkle it on top of vegan cheesecake or ice cream. You can also stir toffee chunks into cookie or brownie batter.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicon mat. In a large saucepan over low heat, stir together sugar, vegan butter and lemon juice, and continue to cook, stirring, until mixture is smooth and melted.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, and place a candy thermometer in the pan. Continue stirring as the mixture bubbles up and reaches 300 degrees F.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour the toffee onto a baking sheet and spread into an even, thin layer. Place in refrigerator until firm.
- Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
More vegan recipes
Easy vegan queso dip
Shredded veggie summer slaw