Vegetarians unite! Around the dinner table and a tasty rhubarb salad with mixed greens and Bleu cheese. Rhubarb isn't just for pies and baked goods. This ruby-hued stalk becomes the star of an awesome restaurant-caliber salad recipe.
Vegetarians unite! Around the dinner table and a tasty rhubarb salad with mixed greens and Bleu cheese. Rhubarb isn't just for pies and baked goods. This ruby-hued stalk becomes the star of an awesome restaurant-caliber salad recipe.Rhubarb Salad with Mixed Greens
Nothing says summer like a crisp, refreshing salad so why not add a gourmet spin to this seasonal staple? At Hubbard Inn
in Chicago’s River North neighborhood, pickled rhubarb brings a whole new dimension of flavor to the summer salad. Executive Chef Bob Zrenner explains that the tart components of the pickled rhubarb are the perfect compliment to the creamy notes in the crumbles of Bleu cheese. “We like to experiment with different flavors and ingredients to have people see traditional favorites in a new way,” says Chef Zrenner. “Something as simple as a salad can boast bold and complex flavors.” Try it for yourself!
Serves 6For the rhubarb:
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 pound rhubarb stalks, sliced on a bias into 2-inch pieces
- 3 cups of red wine vinegar
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
For the salad:
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 2 pounds assorted mixed frield greens (baby radicchio, lolla rossa, green leaf lettuce)
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 4 ounces Stilton blue cheese crumbles
More yummy vegetarian recipes!
- To prepare rhubarb, place rhubarb in a large bowl and set aside. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, cloves, coriander, and peppercorns in a medium pot over high heat. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil and the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour liquid over rhubarb and refrigerate until chilled. Drain.
- To make the vinaigrette, place all ingredients in a cruet, seal, and shake vigorously to combine.
- To make the salad, place greens in a large bowl and toss with a generous drizzle of vinaigrette.
- Divide greens among 6 salad plates and top with rhubarb, pistachios, and blue cheese.