Swapping In Sweet Potatoes For White!
Substituting white whole-wheat flour for all-purpose flour gives these perogies a boost in nutrition, color and flavor. Make an extra batch or two, and freeze for a quick family-style vegan dinner later.
Vegan sweet potato perogies recipe
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Generous pinch of salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, plus more for consistency and browning
- 3/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks, boiled until tender and mashed
- Freshly grated black pepper to taste
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Sour cream, mango chutney and applesauce to serve
- To make the dough, mix flour, water, oil and a pinch of salt together on a lightly floured board. Knead the dough until smooth and slightly sticky, adding a bit more warm water if the dough seems dry.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover it with a towel and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring often, until it softens. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add sweet potatoes to the skillet and stir to combine. Add more margarine until the potato mixture is creamy, but not runny. Season it with salt and pepper. Stir in a generous handful or two of shredded cheese. Remove from the heat.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out each half until it's 1/4-inch thick. Use a round 4-inch cookie cutter to cut round pieces from the dough.
- Take each round piece of dough and use your fingers to press it out even thinner. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of potato filling in the center of the dough and fold the dough in half. Use the back of a fork to press the edges to seal.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add perogies, in batches if necessary, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until they float.
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place half of the perogies in the skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned. Repeat with more margarine and the remaining perogies.
- Serve with vegan sour cream, chutney and/or applesauce.
More Vegan sweet potato recipes
Vegan scalloped sweet potatos
Vegan sweet potato cakes
Sweet potato risotto