A Unqiue Twist On A Classic Burger
We're setting up our vegan grilling menus to include a variety of tasty meat-free burger recipes. This award-winning sweet potato burger from blogger Nikki Haney is one of our favorites.
Maple sweet potato pecan burger recipe
- 3 medium North Carolina sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted pecans, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, very coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sandwich buns
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes and microwave them together until soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Mash firmly into measuring cups to make 2 cups; transfer the mash to a medium mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over high heat, bring water and the quinoa to a boil. Reduce it to a low simmer and cover, simmering until the water is nearly absorbed and the quinoa appears transparent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the quinoa from the stove and allow it to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Stir in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and the cayenne pepper.
- Add the butter mixture to the mashed sweet potatoes along with the kale, cooked quinoa, pecans and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Mix well and form the mixture into 4 patties. Place on a well-oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 minutes, turning once at the halfway point.
- When the burgers have around 15 minutes left to bake, make the onion topping.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Add the onion and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook and stir for 12 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Cook and stir until the onions are slightly brown, about 3 more minutes, then remove it from the heat.
- Transfer the burgers to the buns and top each with the onion mixture.
More veggie burgers
Southwest vegan burger
Garden veggie burger recipes
Homemade veggie burgers with spicy avocado and baked onion rings