Corned Beef And Cabbage Isn't On The Menu For St. Patrick's Day, But Vegan Stuffed Cabbage Leaves Can Certainly Please Your Green Holiday Guests.
Corned beef and cabbage isn't on the menu for St. Patrick's Day, but vegan stuffed cabbage leaves can certainly please your green holiday guests.
Corned beef and cabbage isn't on the menu for St. Patrick's Day, but vegan stuffed cabbage leaves can certainly please your green holiday guests.Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
- 1 large cabbage
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 red onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, diced
- 1 (12-ounce) package firm tofu
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) jar your favorite marinara sauce
- Shredded vegan cheese (optional)
More tasty vegan dinner recipes!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the tough outer leaves of the cabbage and finely chop them. Cut out the cabbage core.
- Place the whole cabbage into a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook for 5 minutes or until it is tender.
- Transfer cabbage to a large bowl of cold water and let it cool.
- Drain cabbage and remove whole leaves from the head. Set aside 12 large leaves. Chop the remaining cabbage.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil and add onions, garlic, and potatoes. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the raw and cooked cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash together tofu, basil, and parsley. Add to the potato mixture, stirring to combine.
- Place about a 1/2-cup of the potato mixture onto each of the reserved 12 cabbage leaves.
- Fold each leaf around the filling, like a burrito, and secure with a toothpick.
- Pour half of the marinara into a 13x9-inch baking dish. Place cabbage rolls in dish. Cover with remaining sauce.
- If using, sprinkle with cheese. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. If using cheese, remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.