Here's How To Make Your Own Vegan Gnocchi At Home.
Gnocchi is a potato-based Italian dish that is amenable to many yummy variations. This one features one of my favorite combinations -- lemon and thyme. You can make gnocchi with white potatoes or sweet potatoes and add any variation of herbs and spices. Serve gnocchi with a tomato sauce or your favorite "cream" sauce.
Gnocchi is a potato-based Italian dish that is amenable to many yummy variations. This one features one of my favorite combinations -- lemon and thyme. You can make gnocchi with white potatoes or sweet potatoes and add any variation of herbs and spices. Serve gnocchi with a tomato sauce or your favorite "cream" sauce.Lemon Thyme GnocchiIngredients:
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, boiled until tender, drained, cooled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup vegan butter
- Finely chopped fresh herbs for garnish
More tasty vegan dinner recipes!
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, about 1 teaspoon salt, a few grinds salt and pepper, nutmeg, lemon zest, and thyme.
- Add 1/2 cup flour to the potato mixture and mix it in. Continue to add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft, slightly tacky dough has formed.
- Generously flour your work surface. Divide dough into 6 to 8 portions and roll into ropes that are about 1/2-inch thick.
- Flour the blade of a sharp knife and cut each rope into 1-inch long portions. Roll each portion on fork tines to make decorative ridges.
- After you finish each rope, set the gnocchi aside and cover with a slightly damp towel until you get all ropes cut.
- Fill a medium saucepan with salted water and bring it to a boil.
- When the water comes to a boil, add butter to a large skillet over medium heat and swirl skillet a few times to melt butter. Keep butter warm, adjusting the heat. Do not let it burn.
- Turn the heat down under the saucepan until the water is at a gentle simmer. Add gnocchi about 2 dozen at a time and cook each batch for 3 to 5 minutes or until gnocchi floats.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove gnocchi and transfer to the skillet with the butter. Cook, stirring gently, to coat gnocchi. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Add more butter to the skillet, if necessary to coat all gnocchi.
- Serve gnocchi hot garnished with more herbs.