I'm on a quinoa kick right now and experimenting with a variety of ingredients, different colors of quinoa, and creating quinoa recipes for every meal from breakfast to dessert. I couldn't pass up the gorgeous, bulbous eggplant at the market yesterday and came up with this roasted eggplant quinoa recipe, tossing in a few other ingredients that I was craving. If you're a part-time vegan, scatter in a generous handful of crumbled feta.
Roasted Eggplant Quinoa with Olives and Currants
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 2/3 cup dried currants
- 4 green onions, sliced (green and white parts)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss eggplant with 2 tablespoons olive oil and spread in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast eggplant for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot over high heat, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add eggplant, olives, currants, green onions, parsley, lemon juice and zest, balsamic vinegar, and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the quinoa and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
More Vegan Recipes
Vegan chocolate-covered vegan habanero peanut brittle
Sweet potato hash
Creamy vegan berry smoothie