Vegan Style Latkes
Whether you make latkes for the holidays or all year round, here is a herbalicious take on the potato cakes.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion, quartered
- Egg replacement equivalent to 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup matzo meal
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of baking powder
- Handful of fresh herbs of your choice, coarsely chopped
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Vegan sour cream
- Grate the potatoes on the largest grating side of a hand grater. Drain the potatoes in a colander, pressing out the liquid.
- Place the onion in the bowl of a food processor and coarsely chop.
- Add potatoes, egg replacement, matzo, salt and pepper, baking powder, and herbs. Process until well combined.
- Pour about 1/8-inch of oil in a large heavy skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Drop a large spoonful of batter into the skillet and flatten it with the spoon to make a thin pancake.
- Cook for 2 minutes on both sides or until lightly browned and crisp, adding more oil if necessary.
- Drain the latkes on paper towels and keep them warm until all the latke mixture is cooked.
- Serve latkes immediately with vegan sour cream and applesauce.
More Vegan Recipes
Triple Chocolate Ice cream Float
Pumpkin Oat Bars
Banana Date Breakfast Smoothie