Make a deliciously simple yet hearty vegan stew your whole family will love. With a few key ingredients, your stew will soon be one of your favorite go-to meals to warm up.
Hot, spicy, and naturally sweet, this hearty vegan stew is the perfect evening meal after a hard day of fall or winter play. It starts with fresh-ground spices, which deliver an unparalleled flavor compared to the jars of already-ground spices that have been on the shelf for months.
African Sweet Potato Stew (Serves 6)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- About 1 pound sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch kale, woody stems removed, leaves chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup smooth almond butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a spice grinder, combine cumin, coriander, mustard, cloves, and red pepper flakes. Grind into a coarse powder.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are caramelized.
- Stir in garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant (do not burn).
- Add sweet potatoes, kale, and carrots and cook, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth or water and raisins, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in almond butter and continue to simmer for 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with cilantro.
More Related Links
Chocolate Hazelnut Soy Latte
Tofu 'Eggless' Sandwich
5 Fresh ways to eat arugula