How Will Castiel Get On Next Season?

Lose his trademark suit and overcoat? Decide to stay human forever? We speculate on what could happen to Castiel in Supernatural Season 9.

Misha Collins as Castiel in Supernatural

Warning: Major spoilers ahead if you haven't seen the Supernatural Season 8 finale

With Supernatural just two weeks into its hellatus known as the summer break before the Season 9 finale, we're starting to look ahead to the next season. Last week, we talked about all the different ways Bobby could return to the show. But what about everyone's favorite former angel — and now human — Castiel?

Now that he's wingless and powerless, here are our theories on where we think Castiel might go next season.

5 Ways Bobby could return to Supernatural Season 9 >>

He could lose the suit and overcoat

We realize this theory could get us thrown out of the fandom, but we implore the Castiel fans out there to bear with us for one second on this one. Sure, Cas is known for his trademark dark suit, tie and tan overcoat, but wouldn't it be nice to see the character in some other clothes next season? From a logistical standpoint alone, it doesn't make sense for him to stay in those clothes. As an angel he may have had the ability to clean his outfit with (we assume) a snap of his fingers, but without his abilities, he's going to have a rough time cleaning that suit and might just have to borrow some jeans and flannel shirts from the boys. Also, on a side note, how adorable would Cas look in jeans and flannel?

He could end up actually happy for once Misha Collins as Castiel in Supernatural

This isn't the first time that Castiel has lost his angelic abilities. Back in Season 5, Cas was cut off from Heaven, and as he lost more and more of his abilities, he also became more and more human. That time, though, Cas was pretty depressed about the whole process. But what if he's excited about the prospect of being human this time? Let's face it — he hasn't had the best time as an angel and might be looking at his new situation as more of an opportunity than a predicament.

Supernatural: 5 Awesome Charlie Moments >>

He could go hunting with the boys

This is something we've been dying to see since Castiel proved that he wasn't just a jerk with wings and truly began to bond with the Winchesters, especially Dean. We've seen him join the boys on hunts before here and there, but we're hoping we get to see more of that next season. We're excited by the idea of the three of them taking on some monsters together, with Cas riding along in the backseat and having to learn how to help out without any of his powers.

He could actually do the right thing

Like we said above, Castiel has definitely had a rough time of it these past few seasons. It seems like every time he tries to do something that he thinks is right, it backfires on him. Whether it's working with Crowley or trusting Metatron, whenever Cas goes off on his own, it doesn't end well. So next season we'd like to see him make a decision that turns out to be the right one.

Want updates about Supernatural sent directly to your email inbox? Sign up for our SheKnows newsletters! >>

He could decide to stay human

Right now we have no idea what's going to happen in Season 9, but it's a pretty fair bet that, at some point in the future, Castiel will have a way to get his powers back. It could be as simple as them defeating Metatron and letting all the angels back into Heaven, or Cas could find the grace that Metatron stole from him and swallow it like Anna did when she found hers. But what if Cas chose not to? What if, after living as a human for a while, he decided he'd rather stay that way? We're quite intrigued by the notion.

What do you think? Got any ideas of what you think Castiel will do in Supernatural Season 9? Let us know in the comments below!

Images courtesy of CW

More of TV

Blake Shelton headlines concert for Oklahoma victims
Jennifer Lopez enrages viewers with sexy performance
The Goodwin Games recap: Taking care of one another

Comments

Comments on "5 Things Castiel could do in Supernatural Season 9"

Jess January 07, 2014 | 12:24 AM

Dean+Cas..that's all I have to say

Rae October 16, 2013 | 4:17 PM

I would love to see Meg come back and her and Cass get together. There has been some really weird problematic love story between them but the truth is it was DAMB y!!!!! LOL. That's my opinion! -Rae

Jeff B October 15, 2013 | 9:49 AM

I would like to see Meg possess Cas, and then have Cas find his grace...Then there would be a CastiMeg. LOL... I also think it would be cool if Cas became the new Bobby with all of his knowledge!

cathynyc October 12, 2013 | 8:47 AM

By the end of Season 9, Cas will find his grace. God will send him a vision of where it is in a dream. After living as a human for almost a year, he will have a greater understanding and compassion for them. The new and improved Cas will mount an army of loyal angels to go to heaven and overcome Metatron. Sam will get well and Ezekiel will become Cas's "general" on earth in the angel/demon wars. Season 10 -- Angels are returned to heaven, God's existence is revealed (I think God is always the prophet, in this case Kevin) and Cas is "promoted" to archangel in Michaels place to keep order in heaven. Sam and Dean reconcile their differences, Cas orders Ezekiel to remain on earth to watch over them.

Elizabeth O October 07, 2013 | 8:38 PM

I would like to see Cas get together with Dean and Sam and help them either hunt or be there like a brother I love Cas so much almost as much as Dean and Sam and I would love to see him be with Dean and Sam. I would love to see them work with Cas to help him get used to things. I hope they understand and are patient and work together. I think I would like to see Cas get his powers back but he will be better cause he knows now what a human feels like. It is going to be rough for him to be human cause he will have to understand that people are not always truthful and are selfish and he is naive so he will def have problems. I just want to see him with Dean and Sam helping and I hope that they dont forget about him because he has no powers now. I hope they go out and look for him

Elizabeth O October 07, 2013 | 7:53 PM

Elizabeth O October 07, 2013 | 7:05 PM

Ellen October 01, 2013 | 11:29 AM

Castiel should bring Meg back -the last one- and have with her! and order pizza all the time.and hunt with boys,with Meg by his side! JUST AMAZING

Selina September 16, 2013 | 4:39 AM

I have 5 things he could do next season 1)leave 2)leave 3)leave 4)leave 5)leave Talk about changing and destroying a lot of what I loved about this show by outstaying your welcome. This character is so exhausted it's ridiculous. The writers need to stop pandering to the Destiel portion and let him go. John was much more loved than this character but they didn't keep him (or Jess may I add) because it wasn't conduitive to the story why keep Castiel just to shut up a whiny portion of fandom?

Mudassar khan September 11, 2013 | 11:54 AM

man i love cass roll i hope that cass can be togather with sam and dean in season 9 as there hunting partner

Lauren August 20, 2013 | 2:15 AM

I saw a few 'Jimmy Novak' comments. I always assumed after Cas took hold of Jimmy's body, instead of Jimmy's daughters, that Jimmy was then gone (dead, in a sense) because it certainly seemed that way. And that allowed Cas to fully inhabit the vessel without another soul.

Gracee1018 August 14, 2013 | 8:15 AM

Cas is my favourite character and I don't like meg so I hope she doesn't come back -they're not right together :/

Bryant August 06, 2013 | 11:37 PM

Bring Meg back?? I liked her TAT

Amethyst July 26, 2013 | 1:02 AM

I love Cas and I want to see all of the boys find some happiness in this season. Everything has been so serious and earth-shattering for the last few seasons, it would be great to see some fun stuff again. Maybe Dean can find joy in hunting again while teaching Cas to hunt. And, above all, I really want to see Bobby come back! I think that would make the show complete again. I don't ever want this show to end, my world revolves around it! No matter what day the show has been on, those 60 minutes are always off limits to everyone! I will not leave the house, I will not take phone calls, and I will not be bothered! I think that if they ever lose their minds and decide to end the show, they should do the finale as a full length, cinema released movie! The box office take would be astronomical! And just think of all of the awesome things they could do in a movie, especially if it was rated R!! ;)

Guchin July 22, 2013 | 3:08 AM

I love cas and I don't want Cas hooking up with woman, I hate it!! Cas is dean's angel and he belong to dean~ Cas is an angel and he loyal to dean, nothing can change that~

Sharon July 09, 2013 | 10:58 PM

Dean has been emotionally withdrawing from Cass since season 5 after Cass joined up with Crowley. There are some good times but Dean's eye rolling and face making at the end of season 8 showed Dean's true feelings for Cass. He only went with Cass because Sam made him. Why should Cass trust Dean to stand by him or support him when Dean has made it clear in the past he won't, unless it is what Dean wants. I would prefer to see Cass on his own then continue to be Dean's verbal punching bag. Or let a newly released from the pit Lucifer use him as a vessel because he doesn't care anymore, because of Dean he lost everything and Dean really appreciated that.Uncle Raphie would have been the God from Hell so Cass stopping him was actually a very good thing. Dean would have been number one on Raphie's hit list Cass was being a good GA protecting his charge by stopping Raphie, did he get a thank you, NO! He didn't ask Dean for help, he wanted him to be happy with Lisa and Ben and because he knew deep down Dean wouldn't help. Dean was quick to throw Cass under the bus the first time he met Raphie. Why trust he wouldn't do it again. I would like more Sam and Cass relationship but due to what MC said at the Australia con I don't think we will.

Liza G Ramos July 05, 2013 | 4:41 AM

I would like to see Cas get the crap beaten out of him by Dean. True, Cas is a trained warrior but could he take Dean in hand-to-hand combat? After Dean finishes teaching him a lesson, Dean will get Cass some ice and a beer. Cas knows he has the beating coming and will learn to flinch everytime Dean raises a hand. From there Sam which treat Cas as the younger brother, giving Sam the opportunity to teach Cas a few things about hunting. Dean will enjoy watching this like a proud father.

Dafne July 02, 2013 | 9:58 PM

I love Cas, I don't understand how someone can hate so adorable character! Must be jealous!

Raye June 28, 2013 | 2:30 PM

@me I agree that there should be another Jimmy Novak episode. As much as I love Castiel I've always had this nagging in the back of my mind that's like, "But Jimmy's still in there and Cas is putting him through hell." :( I try to ignore this feeling because I love Misha Collins as Cas, but it bothers me that his existence still comes at the expense of another.

randomer June 28, 2013 | 1:07 AM

bring back megstiel! i also ship destiel but megstiel actually happened guyz! bring back meg, get his angel juice back and kick metatron's ---