The CBS Soap Honors A Legend

On Tuesday, The Young and the Restless actress Jeanne Cooper was honored by CBS daytime in a tribute show featuring clips and photos from her legendary career. The actress passed away on May 8.

JeanneCooperTribute

On Tuesday, daytime actress Jeanne Cooper was honored by CBS Daytime with an hour-long clip special of her 39 years on The Young and the Restless. Cooper passed away on May 8 at the age of 84 after a brief illness.

After a successful movie and primetime TV career, the actress joined the soap as matriarch Katherine Chancellor in 1973 just six months into the show's run. Her legacy in the television genre is legendary and her absence is being mourned by fans all over the internet.

Angelica McDaniel, head of CBS Daytime, said in a statement, "Jeanne Cooper was a legend and we want to give her the tribute she deserves. The cast will honor their longtime friend, family member and co-worker in the greatest way possible, as we celebrate her life and vibrant spirit and share it with the audience loved her as much as we did.”

It is only fitting that the CBS network honored her career with not only her former co-stars, but also her three adult children including actor Corbin Bernsen. The tribute show began and ended with moving words from Jess Walton who played Cooper's on-air nemesis-turned-friend Jill Foster Abbott for 30 years.

5 biggest upsets in Daytime Emmy history >>

Walton spoke to EW about her beloved co-star in an exclusive interview.

She told the entertainment magazine, "There was a choreography to what we did together in a scene. If one gets too antagonistic, the other gets more sensitive. If one was too big, the other would take it down. If one was too reactive, the other would underplay it. It was like a dance. She was a magnificent woman, one of the most complete human beings. Hilariously funny, super-sensitive, very intelligent, very feisty. She could talk the hind end out of a horse but was never boring. She was everything, this woman. No wonder people are missing her so much."

Walton continued, "It was so brilliant of the producers to do this. Fans absolutely needed that closure and it gave all of us a certain amount of closure. It was really good for us."

JeanneCooperYandR

Cooper's story lines were just as famous as the actress herself. From incorporating her real-life facelift into the series to spotlighting alcoholism, she always approached her work with a foundation of reality and honesty.

2013 Daytime Emmy nominations: Ellen leads the pack >>

She was nominated a total of 10 times for a Daytime Emmy award and she won once in 2008. She was also awarded the Daytime Emmys Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004.

No matter how long it took her to win the coveted Daytime Emmy, Cooper always appreciated what Y&R did for her career.

She spoke fondly of the show to EW before her passing.

The legendary actress said, “You can have a life with this show. Lots of actresses say they want to do movie but that’s for only three months. It all depends on where you want to hang your lights. If you want to be a movie star, then this is entirely different. I never wanted to be a movie star. I always wanted to be an actress, one of the best. And I am.”

Jeanne Cooper will also be honored at the Daytime Emmy Awards on Sunday, June 16.

Photo credit: CBS

Comments

Comments on "The Young and the Restless : Jeanne Cooper tribute show"

Victoria September 05, 2013 | 3:31 PM

Does anyone know the pray that was said at mrs c memoral it was very beautiful all I know Is that it was 1 corinthians love you and will be greatly missed been watching 40. Years

Paulette July 18, 2013 | 2:23 AM

I was fortunate enough to meet Mrs. Cooper a few ago when she came to my hometown for a meet and greet. She was absolutely one of the most amazing women I have ever been around. She was so down to earth and would talk to you for as long as you liked. She had a great, big heart and loved life. I bet she picked up every single baby that was there that day. She just loved them all to pieces. She was a most caring and giving person and after I met her, I felt like she had known me all of my life. I am truly lucky that I did meet her. She is going to be sorely missed by millions of people but I know she is upstairs cutting up and keeping everyone in stitches. GOD BLESS YOU JEANNE COOPER and much love to you. RIP.

Ginnypresley June 10, 2013 | 3:36 PM

I missed the tribute as my M om just passed and hope I can find it later Jill and her played excellent. Parts when fighting I taped the show for many year before I retired She will be missed

Kim June 09, 2013 | 3:05 PM

I sadly missed the show and would love to find where I can see it! She will be missed - the show isn't the same without her story.

Bonnie June 05, 2013 | 6:21 PM

I'm Gonna Live Till I Die; I'm Gonna Laugh 'Stead of Cry; I'm Gonna Take the Town & Turn It Upside Down; I'm Gonna Live, Live, Live Until I Die!! Miss Ya Mrs. C

Mary June 04, 2013 | 5:32 PM

On the tribute show, why was Nina crying on her first scene with Jeanne Cooper? I could not understand what she was saying.

Teresa June 04, 2013 | 1:45 PM

Going to be greatly missed.

Elaine & Norma Yeatts June 04, 2013 | 12:23 PM

We were so sad to hear of the passing of Ms Chancllor. What a great lady! She will be missed by all the many lives she touched. The great accomplishments she made through out her life and all for others. She was a selfless person. How beautiful she was. I have watched Young and Restless since it began and was hooked on it right away, my daughter is special and never misses the show it't the best!!! Again we will miss Ms. Chancellor. My thoughts and prayers for the family and the cast whom she loved as her second family. God bless. Elaine & Norma Yeatts

Frances June 03, 2013 | 7:45 AM

Oh lighten up everyone re: groin grabbing - she was an older woman having fun! Your typical male would not have an issue with that. Different for woman.

Mary June 02, 2013 | 12:24 PM

I thought the tribute to Jeanne Cooper was very well done, and it was heartwarming to know how much she was loved by her castmates. Y&R will not be the same. She made the show with her dynamic character. It was amusing to hear of her pinching the butts of the young men, but when I heard that she also pinched them in the groin area, I thought, whoa!

Janis May 31, 2013 | 11:55 AM

What a wonderful tribute. I have been watching Y& R for 37 years. Thank you Jeanne Cooper. You will be missed. Thank you to Jeanne's family and the cast family for sharing the great memories and kind words.

John May 31, 2013 | 1:37 AM

Great tribute, but there is only one thing the boys could of left out the groin grabbing part. That said it was great brought a tear to my eye especially when Jill looked up at the stairs and said goodbye. GOODBYE Mrs C.

ROBIN May 29, 2013 | 9:27 PM

What a beautiful tribute to Jeanne Cooper. My prayers goes out to her family and the extended Y&R family. The tribute brought tears to my eyes because Y&R has been a part of my life since it aired. You feel a sense of loss when a character like Mrs. C is no longer going to be on the show. I would like to know who sang the song "When I Stop Loving You". God Speed as Mrs. C always said

Mattie Walker May 29, 2013 | 8:09 PM

Fred, you need to get over your colossal immaturity. If "Y&R is a family" as you claim, is that how your real family members treat each other? Do Grandpa and Uncle Ben grab all the young ladies in their groin and breasts and call it "having fun"? I don't think so.

Jan Ooms May 29, 2013 | 7:20 PM

Jennie you were a fabulous actress and very very missed. I do so hope that the Young and the Restless do not re-cast your role to someone else. Y an R is my favorite soapie. Love Jan

Dana-Lynne Gaspar May 29, 2013 | 4:57 PM

It was sad to hear of Jeanne Cooper's passing. I enjoyed watching her on the Young and the Restless. I haven't watched the tribute yet but I will. I'm sure it's memorable one. May she rest in peace. My prayers go out to her family.

Hank May 29, 2013 | 1:55 PM

Wonderful tribute. I feel like I lost a close, dear friend. I wonder why Sharon Case and Michael Muhney were not included in the tribute?

Mattie Walker May 29, 2013 | 1:36 PM

I agree with you 100%, Beth. This woman was an old letch clearly. Her behavior against the young male actors was disgusting and would never be tolerated if the genders were reversed. As usual, we tend to make heroes/heroines of people who don't deserve such honor.

Bill Gaetz May 29, 2013 | 1:34 PM

It was with great saddness that that I watched the tribute to a great actress, Jeanne Cooper. I thought it was so tastfully done and a fitting send off to a great friend of daytime. I've been watching this show for more years than I can remember and now I'm old myself (79) I have to say I don't like change but I guess life goes on. I was doing fine with the tribute show untill the last line was delivered as the duchess walked up the stairs,"good by Jeanne", and that's when I completely lost it. I hope all the cast and crew will carry on and though Jeanne Cooper was still there! Yours with love, Bill Gaetz

Fred May 29, 2013 | 11:53 AM

Beth you need to get over yourself. The cast and crew of They Y&R are a family. If you are that easily disgusted then you need to crawl back under a rock. I think it shows they are a family and really have fun together