Listen: Darius Rucker's "Wagon Wheel"

Darius Rucker was "absolutely shocked" when he received racist tweets during the weekend. It seems at least one country fan doesn't want to let this singer into the genre, but others feel quite differently!

Darius Rucker

Darius Rucker could barely believe what he was reading when a racist tweet was sent to him Sunday.

After a Twitter user by the name of pqkullman wrote, "@dariusrucker Leave country to the white folk," the True Believers singer shot back to ask, "WOW. Is this 2013 or 1913"?

He went on to add, "Ill take my grand ole Opry membership and leave your racism. Wow."

Before signing off from Twitter, Rucker added, "Gotta go to bed this has been hilarious tonight. If any hater thinks I care what u think. I don't make music for u. So don't listen."

Hello! Country singers who look good shirtless >>

During a recent Rolling Stone interview, the racist tweet incident came up, with the 47-year-old explaining, "I was absolutely shocked. Sometimes people will say, 'You’re not country,' and I know what that means, because they can't be talking about the music. But when somebody says to leave country music to the white folks, that is unbelievable to me... But that's life. That’s something that I'm going to have to deal with the rest of my career, because I'm a black guy in country music and there are people who don't like that. But it's not going to make me quit."

Wedding playlist: Hits for the country couple >>

Race doesn't only come up on Twitter, though. Darius Rucker recalled a real-life incident to the magazine, sharing, "I was in Walmart about three weeks ago, and this older gentleman came up to me and told me how much he loves 'Wagon Wheel.' He said, 'You know what's funny? That the black guy has the country-est song on country radio!'"

Take a listen to Darius Rucker's "Wagon Wheel" here:

How would you have responded to the racist tweet Darius Rucker received?

Image via WENN

Comments

Comments on "Darius Rucker gets heated over a racist tweet"

Marie January 21, 2014 | 5:59 AM

Who cares what a bigot has to say? I love Darius Rucker's music. And who said country music has to be all white people? Music isn't based on race, it's based on style.

Mike MacNeil August 04, 2013 | 12:08 PM

I'm not a country music fan, so I think it says a lot when I hear your music on the radio and I enjoy myself while singing along. I suppose that means to me it's not typical country, but unique instead. I liked Hootie and the Blowfish, and I like Darius Rucker too. Forget what the haters say, you are a brilliant musician, sir.

Connie June 21, 2013 | 5:23 AM

I loved hootie and the blowfish Darius's voice is great but not as a country singer, go back to the blowfish

Martha May 25, 2013 | 6:02 AM

As a fan of Hootie and the Blowfish I was both intrigued and surprised when Hootie went country. Actually I called Darius Hootie that isn't Hootie for a while. I must say that I love Darius Rucker and believe that he has added so much to country music. I have been listening to country for over 45 years and have seen a lot of changes. Darius is one of the best.

Carol May 22, 2013 | 2:36 PM

I am sorry for this person's opinion. Please believe it is not everyone's opinion. I like you I think you sing country a whole lot better than some, and no I'm not a fan of country rock!!! As for race or the hater of blacks, I thought we were getting ahead of all that hating someone because their skin is not the same as our's but lets face it, our government preaches it every day and they show it everyday so what.Once again I like you and will continue to listen to you. God Bless You and Yours........

obamahater May 22, 2013 | 9:45 AM

Darius Rucker is not the first black country singer for Christs sake Charlie Pride leave him alone - if you hate blacks so bad go after that useless fraudulent and treasonous president they shoved down our throats. We also have Mexican country singers Freddy Fender. Grow up and shut up.

Jay'ne May 22, 2013 | 4:15 AM

Love, Love, Love Darius Rucker! Love that he used Duck Dynasty gang in video..good christian people.... some people never change.....Pray for them!

tiptop76544 May 22, 2013 | 4:15 AM

This world is so screwed up it's ridiculous. The critic has a small mind and can't wrap his/her mind around the fact that there are more people on the planet than white people. No one is better we are just different. The world will continue to turn and his/her little mind will keep getting smaller and smaller. WAKE UP DUDE!!!

AmericaForEverybody May 22, 2013 | 4:03 AM

Country: Otis Redding, Brook Benton or Gladys Knight or Lionel Ritchie. They sound more country than Taylor Swift

Edward Weil May 21, 2013 | 10:35 PM

I personally think Darius Rucker is a heck of an addition to Country Music. If he wasn't liked I don't think that he would have been invited to be a part of The Grand Ole Opry Family. He is a great addition and glad to hear from him.

jima May 21, 2013 | 9:00 PM

Has this critic ever heard of Charley Pride? I am certain there are other black country singers of note, but why what with such ridiculous comments?