Will Bobby Be Back?

Showrunner Jeremy Carver hints at a possible return for Bobby in Supernatural Season 9, and we give our theories as to how it might just happen.

5 Ways Bobby Could Return to Supernatural season 9

Now that Supernatural Season 8 is over, all eyes are looking beyond the dreaded hellatus to October when the show returns for Season 9. One character that a lot of fans are wondering about is Bobby, and showrunner Jeremy Carver talked to Screen Rant about his possible return.

Though Bobby originally died in Season 7 (not just once, but twice), he made a triumphant return in Season 8 when it was discovered that Sam had to break him out of purgatory as part of the trials to close the gates of hell. The decision to bring Bobby back was based mostly on the story itself, Carter said.

"I never think, 'Oh wow, who can I bring back?' I always think of it in the sense of, 'Oh wow, who would be right for this particular story,'" Carver revealed.

Does that mean that it's likely we'll see him again in Season 9?

"You know, we were saying all season, 'You never know what's going to happen to Bobby,' and I think we've found a — I can't believe I'm going to say this word — believable way to bring him back from Hell. I think now that Bobby is presumably in Heaven that it certainly does open up the question of whether or not we might see him again.'" Carver said.

Supernatural: 5 awesome Charlie moments >>

While Carver hasn't said that Bobby will be back for sure, he also hasn't said that the character won't be back for sure. Because it really could go either way, we decided to look at how it could happen. Below are five ways we came up with that Bobby could theoretically come back in Season 9.

Sam or Dean could die and go to heaven (again)

This would bring Bobby back without necessarily cheapening his death. With all of the angels booted out of heaven and Metatron apparently up there ruling things, who's to say that Bobby couldn't be asked to help out? Maybe we'll catch him and Ash hanging out having beers when Sam or Dean gets up there and then they'll all work together to defeat Metatron. When it was all over, he would still be there, but it's one way to technically get him back on the show.

He could make a deal with a demon

All right, so this idea is a bit more far-fetched, seeing as how there are no demons up there in heaven with him, but people make deals with demons on behalf of others all the time. The way we see it, a human would have to make a deal with a demon, and that demon would have to find a way to get to Metatron (because he's running the show up there). It would be a lot of trouble for just one person, but you never know how much Bobby could be worth to either side when the chips are down.

The Vampire Diaries' Julie Plec talks Season 5 >>

A spell that has yet to be discovered

Jim Beaver as Bobby Singer in Supernatural

This is really the most believable option. With a show like Supernatural, there are always spells sitting around that the boys haven't discovered yet. As the years have gone by, they've figured out how to do things they once thought were impossible, such as the cure for a vampire when Dean was bitten. If Bobby Singer was truly needed, I have a feeling the boys could find a way to bring him down from heaven.

He could open the doors and walk out

The last time we saw him, Bobby made it very clear that he wasn't all that interested in retiring from life as a hunter to go hang out in heaven and smell the roses. In fact, he told Sam straight up that he would very much like to come back to earth and rejoin the fight. So what if the clever old bird found his own way out? Every other option involves him being "rescued" in a sense, but Bobby's no princess — he doesn't have to wait for someone to break him out. What if he just finds the locked gates and marches out on his own? Heck, maybe he'll even defeat Metatron along the way and help return the angels to heaven.

Want Supernatural updates sent directly to your email inbox? Sign up for our SheKnows newsletters! >>

Flashbacks

Here's another method that lets fans get back their beloved Bobby without cheapening the heroic death he had on the show. We love Bobby but we don't necessarily have to see him in the present. After so many seasons, they don't even necessarily have to go back that far to find a moment in time where Bobby was alive but we missed something. Maybe it was on a case where we only saw Sam and Dean's side, or maybe it's some missing bits of a case we already know about. It's quite possible to get our Bobby fix without changing his current status.

What do you think? Could Bobby come back in Supernatural Season 9? More importantly, do you think he should come back?

Images courtesy of CW

Comments

Comments on "5 Ways Bobby could return to Supernatural Season 9"

Reese February 10, 2014 | 7:31 PM

I think it would be nice if they brought bobby back to life with an Angel Status they could even work on an Angelic name

John Winchester June 14, 2013 | 10:21 PM

PLEASE BRING BACK JOHN AS HIMSELF OR EITHER GOD, HIS RETURN SHOULD BE SUPERNATURAL FINALE. My opinion on what might happen in the very end God will return and set things straight revealing himself as either CHUCK or JOHN and sam and dean get to live a normal life, or they die AGAIN heroically go to heaven and see JOHN, MARY, BOBBY, JESSE, ELLEN, JOE, and so on. Who knows I love the show so much and anything is possible!

brenda June 13, 2013 | 2:57 PM

yes bobby should come back

Giana June 12, 2013 | 7:21 PM

Bobby has to come back, he is my favorite character. I think the show is good but it would be a WHOLE LOT BETTER. Dean and Sam always come back from heaven so why not Bobby?

Louize82 June 10, 2013 | 2:49 PM

At this point I really don't care how they bring Bobby back, just as long as they do!!!! I miss Bobby!!!

toni June 09, 2013 | 11:11 AM

I love Bobby and would love to see him come back. He can be the inside guy in heaven that helps Sam, Dean and Castiel bring down Metatron.

Patty Partridge June 08, 2013 | 10:58 PM

I would love to have Bobby back on the show again I miss his character so much. He has a lot of un finish business to do! I would also like to see John reunite with his boys Sam and him were really starting to get to know each other as father and son since Sam missed out on a lot of father /son time with him. But I do see a lot of John in Dean his character is such a bad ass!

mich76 June 03, 2013 | 8:11 PM

I agree with Dark_Knight. Bobby deserved a better death scene. Although i have to Say he should NEVER have been killed in the first place. If a way can be found to bring him back i say do it. He deserves to be here just a much as the boy's and the impala and loved just as much.

Debby May 31, 2013 | 1:49 PM

YES< Please bring Bobby back! he's the only one that can keep those Winchester boys in line when they're out of control. I loved Bobby and i really hatted seeing him go. I cried when he died..Dean and Sam were so broken, I just wanted to reach into the tv and hug them both...so yes, please bring Bobby(Jim Beavers) back!! We miss you BOBBY!!!!!!!!!

Lc1983 May 28, 2013 | 9:00 PM

.I kinda like the thought of them going back in time...that would work but really if don't matter how they bring him back they just need to get him back on the show season 8 just was t the same without Bobby... Dean ,Sam ,Castile and Bobby that is the way it should be the 4 of them really made the show

asdf May 26, 2013 | 5:24 PM

shut the hell up we NEED Bobby back!! I LOVE BOBBY SO MUCH!!! I miss him all the time!! One of my favorite characters!! I am a hardcore fan of this show.

Dark_Knight May 26, 2013 | 2:24 PM

QUOTE: "cheapening the heroic death he had on the show" Am I the only person that realizes how "Not Heroic" Bobby's death really was? I mean come on Bobby has been around the show since season 1 and he was killed by Roman who's only been around for a few episodes before he shot him in the head with a useless pistol! and that might have been fine if it happened on a more serious episode, but no! It was a comic satiric episode making fun of fast food companies... Bobby deserved a lot more respect than what he got... after all his time on the show he deserved at least to be slashed by crowly. One way or another he has to come back, if not to stay then at least to get a chance to die a truly heroic and honorable death!!!

R May 25, 2013 | 10:59 AM

Please dont ruin the show bringing him back. He finished the race now keep him out. Bobby was getting cheesy and i like seeing sam and dean working things out withiut having to go to bobby. Bobby had an episode dedicated tk him and he should take it as it is. Youre done! Dont come back

missangel May 24, 2013 | 8:06 PM

Oh, I love the idea of Bobby just getting sick of waiting around and finding his own way out of Heaven. The only problem with that though is he has no bosy to go back to. I think it would make the most sense if Sam, Dean and Castiel go up to Heaven and see Bobby and everyone else up there. Or in flashbacks. OR they could go back in time to when Bobby was alive and they were working more monster of the week cases. Oh my goodness how am I going to get through these next few months without any new episodes? :(

Rombo May 24, 2013 | 10:33 AM

1.)It's true about the Half Demon & Half Human boy that changed Cass into a toy, remember what Cass said "He can destroyed the host of Heaven... you can't imagine when he is angry, of a thought he can be acrross the world." 2)Dean makes a deal with Leprechauns/fairies, to sneek into Heaven or bring back Bobby since the leprechaun king said, "I have back doors to get into hell's cage." he may also have a way into Heaven too. 3)Dean sacrifice by saving someone in order to get himself kill to get to Heaven to see the old gangs (Bobby, Ash, Pam, Jo, Ellen,Chuck

Bob Jones May 24, 2013 | 8:42 AM

Lisa is right.

paula May 23, 2013 | 8:30 PM

He could ride an angel outta heaven.

Jen5 May 23, 2013 | 3:20 PM

At this rate they can really bring anybody back! Esp, since they have to probably find a way up to Heaven, Bobby could always help them get to Metraton that way! It would be awesome as always to see Bobby again! & hay, what about their parents? Shouldn't they be up in heaven too? That would definitely be an emotional reunion, esp, for Sam, since he never really had any time with her! Now that would be an interesting turn for the boy's if they brought her back!

Whitney May 23, 2013 | 1:50 PM

Maybe Bobby will come back as an Angel?

Amanda May 23, 2013 | 4:55 AM