Stefan's Out And
Silas Is In

When the show returns, expect Stefan (aka Silas) to take over as the terror of Mystic Falls.

Elena, Stefan and Damon in The Vampire Diaries

Fall can't come soon enough. Not only will we get a new spinoff show The Originals to help satisfy our craving, but Season 5 of The Vampire Diaries promises to pick up where the surprising finale left off.

Stefan

With the most shocking twist of Season 4, the finale revealed that Stefan (Paul Wesley) is Silas' doppelgänger, and Silas wasn't so excited to keep him around. Instead, Stefan is locked inside a safe and sent to the bottom of a quarry. Since Silas shares his face, expect a new Stefan to show up in Mystic Falls.

In an interview with Zap2It, Vampire Diaries executive producer Julie Plec says, "Playing the straight man hero is not always the most exciting job for an actor, and Stefan, of all our heroes, is the straightest on the show. We get to go deeper into his ripper side sometimes, but for Paul, those moments are just pocket moments of opportunity to dig deeply into his craft, and a lot of other times he feels like he's just grooming his hero hair. So obviously, he's very enthusiastic about this, and has been supportive of it all along. He's been dying for something; to be a jerk, to be evil, to be the bad guy, to be able to stretch his muscles."

Stefan like we've never seen him before — bring it on! But we can't help but wonder how long Silas will be able to fool everyone. If Damon (Ian Somerhalder) doesn't realize something is weird, Elena (Nina Dobrev) definitely should.

On the Season 4 finale of The Vampire Diaries >>

Jeremy

He's back! The show had us worried. How could they take away Elena's last living relative like that without creating an extremely depressing show? They couldn't.

Plec explains, "Our intention, originally, was to say goodbye [to Jeremy] permanently. But then a lot of questions came up about the power of this girl losing her only living relative. It was so important to her journey at that moment. The global, eternally reaching tragedy attached to that is really sad, and really depressing."

If the show hadn't brought Jeremy back, there would have been no way to revive Elena. Plec said that despite a lot of arguing in the writer's room, ultimately they agreed it was the right decision to have Jeremy come back from the dead.

Interview with The Vampire Diaries' Julie Plec >>

Stefan, Damon, Elena and Klaus in The Vampire Diaries

Bonnie

Yes, she's dead but, thankfully, in the world of The Vampire Diaries that doesn't mean gone for good. Plec promises Bonnie will still be a big regular, just invisible to everyone except Jeremy. If she's hanging around as a ghost that means the girl's got some unfinished business. We can't wait to see what witchy things she'll come up with in the new season. Not to mention, her relationship with Jeremy is about to get really interesting. What do two people do when they love each other but can't touch?

For the latest gossip from The Vampire Diaries, subscribe to our newsletter >>

Damon and Elena

We'll see Elena start college, though it's unclear where exactly. She wasn't really studying hard for finals in the midst of her emotionless rampage.

After decades of getting his heart broken, Damon has finally been chosen. He and Elena will form quite a nice relationship in Season 5 with Damon trying his hardest to be a good boyfriend. Looks like Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder's recent breakup really won't be affecting their work life. The two will still have to find that electric chemistry for the camera.

Last and, maybe, least: Katherine

She's human now and definitely not leaving the show. In fact, expect the same vindictive girl as ever.

"As a human, she's still very, very bad," Plec says, "If anything, she feels silly for letting herself get vulnerable, and she's taking out that frustration of her own vulnerability on Elena. If Elena goes after her, Katherine's still ready to kick that puppy."

We doubt now that Katherine's human she'll stand a chance against vampire Elena. Not that we're counting out her ruthlessness. The girl is nothing if not cunning.

Images courtesy of The CW

Comments

Comments on "The Vampire Diaries ' Julie Plec talks Season 5"

stanza338 March 07, 2014 | 9:35 AM

I just love vampire diaries I even sleep late just 2 watch it

Nikki January 11, 2014 | 9:08 AM

I think stefan and elena should get back together during season 5. I don't like the character Damon and think elena being in a relationship with Damon is so wrong. I only see the chemistry between stefan and elena they are great characters. I can't see chemistry with demon Damon and elena - elena belongs with stefan.

Annoyed November 18, 2013 | 5:18 AM

Wait, Jeremy was never meant to come back? UN- ------- -BELIEVABLE I was sad to see Jeremy go, yes, but I much preferred Bonnie stay alive and not suffer because of him. And now Beremy is friggin' back too. SCREW YOU, PLEC. Just GTFO.

viany October 16, 2013 | 12:26 PM

when will this drama of silas and stefan come to an end. i really miss stefen hope the bernette witch comes back to safe him. pls i want elena and stefan back. them not being together makes me feel bored and sad. stefan is a vampire but he is much of a human he is so caring and so loving he has always taken care of elena more than demon and always will. i love them together.

stella August 27, 2013 | 8:26 AM

Elena and stefane does nt make gud couples at all,i prefer stefane to damon becaus stefane is more compassionate than damon.i sincerly want bnnie back and nt as a ghost bot as my best witch wich she has always been

silvia August 07, 2013 | 4:43 AM

that's not good season finale. Damon and Elena together no way!.they don't make good couple. Elena must realize her love towards Stefan, she should be with stefan in season 5 or season 5 will be not often watched. many frnds of mine love stelena.plezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! bring them back

elysha July 15, 2013 | 12:16 PM

and aswell after all they have been through with eachother so they can live a happily life together and now after all stefans gone and so it stelena?;/ dont make sence. stefan has saved her and even saves daman and other people and hes the one alwayss there for her when she needs a shoulder to cry on. so why cant stefan get some happiness instead of him gone and silis over taking his body, its not right i miss seeing stelena, and i miss seeing stefan happy with elena they belong together!

elysha July 15, 2013 | 12:12 PM

to be honest, im glad jeremy is back so hopefully we can see the nice, normal elena because after all that was the thing that tipped her off the edge. anyways. the relationship on the other hand fair enough damon wants to be the good guy for once but it just dont make sence if elena goes back to her old self even as a vampire or has her humanity back she should be with stefan? she was with him at first and im sorry but damon wouldnt be able to compete because the chemistry with stefan and elena is unforgettable that was the nice thing i liked about the show stelena, they stil managed to have their cute moments even know all the drama going on and that is real love so im sooo so so upset that stefans gone :( an i dont think im going to like the show as much as i did with stefan so pleaseeeeeeee bring stelena back i miss it, and alot of other people do, and c'mon stefen loves elena sooo much you can see how much he loves her and maybe she dont now but she does love him !, when stelena was together they were the best episodes ! tbh thats what made me carry on watching it because i was interested in there love they had for eachother and also i love the way he always saves her! it make the show so much better!

ana June 21, 2013 | 4:12 PM

I dont think elena and damon's relationship will go good , her and stefan belong together after all theyve been thru , i want her back with stefan!!! They make a really great and strong couple i hate how her feelings towards stefan changes in season 4 but im looking foward to seeing what happens .

Jennifer June 19, 2013 | 2:50 PM

Damon and Elena are a perfect relationship but i don't understand will Bonnie be alive again and if she will be able to save Stefan and fight Silas and if Stefan came back how he will be dealing with Delena !!

meg June 19, 2013 | 10:58 AM

I love the dynamic of Damon and Elena's relationship and screamed for Damon when he finally got the girl. They couldn't be more perfect together and can't wait to see their relationship grow. All I got to say is Stefan had Elena for at least 3 seasons, so Damon better get her at LEAST that long or I will be VERY pissed! Delana Forever!!!

marie June 18, 2013 | 5:10 AM

I really want elena back to stefan .or at least I won't her to be jalouse from stefan's relation's and I wan't her to realize that she loves stefan more then damon.

ashley June 17, 2013 | 7:44 PM

its not about the looks of stefan or damon ? my 2 cents i love the way it is going. i like the twist in all roles.

amelia June 12, 2013 | 1:24 PM

I'm still rooting for Stefan!!! I want him and Elena back together because he loves her so much and has been hurt so much by her. Theyre relationship was so perfect and I want it back. He is the good guy, he deserves her back!

Yasmina June 11, 2013 | 12:29 PM

OMG she chose DAMON I can now die happy!!!!!!!!!!!

lorna June 06, 2013 | 7:41 PM

Won't be tuning in till stefan is out of the ocean. I could watch having both him and Silas walking around as they did with Elena and Kathrine, but no thanks to just evil Silas. So let fans know when Stefan is out of the box because i've seen damon shirtless with every woman and some of their mothers for 4 years, and really sick of Elena, so hot vampire with these two, not enough reason to turn tv on.,

Cupid girlie May 27, 2013 | 9:57 AM

Wao d end of season 4 waz Perfect.Cnt wait 2 c katherine act as human nd aw jeremy waz 2 comunicate wif spirit"bonnie"

mike w May 23, 2013 | 4:24 PM

College they hardly went to high school don't get that angle...elean and dammon a joke...why Jeremy back...Kat going to be elana before she turn....hey I know turn Stephen into dammon give him the bad boy look and give dammon the hero hiar and he can be a good little boy...you mess up big time pec

P.M May 22, 2013 | 3:41 AM

Its a pity Bonnie had to die though it was all for love, I'm glad she's still on the show, I just can't wait to see how Bonnie and Jeremy will keep the fire burning now that she's a ghost.

purple lady May 22, 2013 | 2:10 AM

Can't see this!!! Why will bonnie die anyway??...she use to be my diva @dat show...if I was elena I will never ever let stefan get away becux I do love him! Damon migth be handsome but datx nt part ov it anyway! I love klaus!!! I love the way he act bodly! And brave..and I hate elena !!! Buh I do love mate ! Caroline N bonnie ! Jeremy and stefan..I wish it was catherine who died not my bonnie!!?? Swt witch..thanksz urz purple lady