Making Music While Serving The Church

Season 7 American Idol runner-up David Archuleta is still serving his mission for the Mormon church, but he's keeping music in the mix with a new album.

DavidArchuletaNewAlbum

Season 7 American Idol runner-up David Archuleta is back on the scene with a new album coming on March 26. This will be the pop sensation's fifth studio album and will feature a mix of new material as well as a few previously unreleased U.S. singles.

The new album is entitled No Matter How Far and the first single from the CD will be "Don't Run Away," a love ballad sure to please his American Idol fans. The song was produced by The Nexus, comprised of British musicians David Sneddon and James Bauer-Mein, and will be released in February ahead of the album.

What's fascinating about this album release is that Archuleta, who is a Mormon, is currently serving on a two-year mission in South America for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In late 2011, the young singer announced to his fans at a holiday concert that he would serve his church and his faith with the mission.

He told a Salt Lake City audience, who first heard the announcement, "It's not because someone told me I was supposed to do it and not because I no longer want to do music anymore. It's what I feel I need to do next in my life."

The news was shocking to some of his fans since he's had quite a bit of success post-Idol. As one of the youngest contestants ever to perform on American Idol at the age of 16, he followed up his show success with a self-titled album. The album and his first single, "Crush," peaked at #2 on the Billboard charts with the single topping over 2 million downloads.

Archuleta has approximately a year left in his mission in Chile. He's made it clear he'll return to music full-time when he's back in the States.

Image courtesy of AdMedia/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "David Archuleta is on a mission with a new album"

debbie June 28, 2013 | 2:41 PM

I was just barely reading this. I would like to say that David is not breaking any missionary rules, this was recorded before he left.

DeanVantis May 12, 2013 | 8:51 AM

David's really amazing. How many youngsters nowadays serve God? To be honest, I'm a Muslim, but who cares? Fame or not, I'm supporting David to the fullest. His songs kinda remind me of an old crush...:)

christine joy elizan March 12, 2013 | 6:41 PM

awesome...David is nice i can't wait to hear his song again.I really missing him..

namename February 04, 2013 | 1:31 PM

David didn't get permission to do this album while on his mission. He recorded it BEFORE he left. It was always planned to be released around this time frame.

Tokyo Cat Lover February 04, 2013 | 12:01 AM

On what planet is it okay for a full-time missionary to take time out of his missionary service to make an album? Using your talent while a missionary is one thing, using it to make money while a missionary is wrong (missionaries are not supposed to work while they serve as missionaries). I will probably be hated for saying this, but how did he get permission from the mission president to do this?

DorkAngel February 02, 2013 | 7:12 PM

Whoa, he really is a hard working guy.

Linda February 01, 2013 | 11:07 PM

David is amazing. Thank you Team Archuleta! Can't wait for your return to hear your songs live! #DA2014

TrudyFOD February 01, 2013 | 10:08 AM

I am so excited!!! I can't believe David Archuleta has been so generous to us fans with yet another album! We are truly blessed by this amazing artist who even before he went away on his mission put together a plan to put out albums that really mean something to his fans while we wait for his return. David obviously has surrounded himself with a great group of supporters...and I am feeling so lucky to be a part of his fandom. I can't wait for the new song release and hope the radio stations will give David's music a chance. He is an amazing singer/songwriter with an amazing gift of putting out music that is amazing! And did I say David is amazing! We will all be here when David returns... #DA2014

sharon February 01, 2013 | 4:38 AM

NO MATTER HOW FAR---David touches people all over the world!! I am excited to hear David's new album! There is no one that can compare! His music is incredible!!! He is one classy young man who is always "giving" so generously of his heart.

sweetonda January 31, 2013 | 4:21 PM

This is the best news ever! David Archuleta is my go-guy for fantastic music. His sound is amazing!!!

Trish January 31, 2013 | 3:26 PM

AWESOME!!!!

djafan January 31, 2013 | 3:14 PM

This is incredible. David Archuleta and team are genius!!!!!

terrea January 31, 2013 | 3:00 PM

soooooo excited! already pre-ordered on amazon lol