This Has Taken Far Too Long

New Girl fans know the latest episode was downright monumental. Now I'll rehash it for you. Because I can... and I know you want it.

New Girl's Nick and Jess finally kissNew Girl fans have waited for this episode for a season and a half. Nick (Jake Johnson) and Jess (Zooey Deschanel) have finally kissed! And to think that just three minutes out we didn't think it was going to happen. We don't usually recap New Girl — it's such a short show — but tonight seemed like a special occassion.

The episode started off with Nick calling Jessica a "cooler", because she has awful timing and tends to ruin his steamiest moments. She swore she wasn't, of course. The boys decided to go out to a club and Nick completely downplayed the event so that Jess wouldn't tag along. She ended up doing all sorts of Jess-like things by herself at the apartment... including dressing a melon up to look like Nick.

New Girl's Nick and Jess finally kiss

Later, when she hears scratching at the door, she freaks out and calls nearly everyone in her cellphone's contact list. Like always, Nick talks to her and comes to the rescue... despite the fact that he was near closing the deal with a hot girl he met at the bar.

Nick, Winston, Schmidt (Max Greenfield) and two girls from the bar show up to "rescue" Jess. When Jess realizes she's messed things up with Nick, she tries to fix it with a (typically) elaborate plan to get them back together. Somehow, though, it ends up with her and Nick trapped behind her bedroom door, the rest of the party chanting for them to kiss.

They almost do. Multiple times. Until Nick bellows, "Not like this!"

It's adorable and super swoon-worthy. But, he quickly ruins it by trying to play it off. In his defense, I'm not even sure Nick realized his feelings for her until that very moment. In an attempt to escape the awkward moment, he climbs out of the window.

After the commotion dies down, everyone heads to bed including Jess... with Sam. It really looked like it was going to end right then and there. Then, of course, the scratching at the door returns and it's Nick that Jess calls for help.

Then this happens... (we'll post a better video as soon as we have one).

I'm still giddy.

What do you think? Will this be the beginning of Nick and Jess' relationship... or are they going to pretend it didn't happen for the sake of "saving their friendship"? Tell me everything!

More on New Girl

An interview with New Girl star Max Greenfield
Olivia Munn says she's done with New Girl... for now
New Girl set to kick off second season

Images courtesy of FOX

Comments

Comments on "Ah! New Girl 's Nick and Jess finally kissed"

michaela April 04, 2014 | 1:39 PM

i am hyperventilating!!!! I've waited for that moment for so SO long!!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!My life is now complete!

Becks July 03, 2013 | 7:53 AM

FINALLY!!! This episode has just aired here in the Uk & that kiss was soooooo hot! I rewound the TV 5 times to rewatch it! Nick is just hot. Been waiting for this for aaages!!!

cat January 30, 2013 | 5:46 PM

FINALLLY!! and not cheesy at all!! perfect!!well played out, i hope they dont mess up the story line down the road!!

LIsa January 30, 2013 | 4:33 PM

Oh. My. Gosh. That was the best moment!

jibbajabba January 30, 2013 | 11:58 AM

^^CJ How was that not cliched? That was the ole, she's walking away because she doesn't think anything will happen, and the man summons up the courage to go all in and pulls her back in with a kiss. This has been done plenty of times. With that said, I actually like this show, and have been waiting for the Nick/Jess characters to stop playing their friend charade and get it on...which also helps me point out that the two of them (Jake and Zooey) have done well at creating an almost tangible ual tension between their characters.

jonathan January 30, 2013 | 9:11 AM

I actually got teary-eyed. It brought back memories of falling in love with my own best friend, and that first, unexpected, but oh-so-longed-for first kiss. Let me tell you, possums, things like that actually DO happen in real life!

Maria January 30, 2013 | 12:57 AM

F.I.N.A.L.L.Y!

Suz January 29, 2013 | 9:21 PM

So. Good. I think they'll try to stay just friends for now but eventually as the season goes on will date :-)

Lauren January 29, 2013 | 8:48 PM

re: Erin: Hmm.... good point. I guess I'll take that back then. I just think they're so darn cute as a couple (and they're not even a couple! yet...).

Marylyn's January 29, 2013 | 8:38 PM

That was the single best kiss on tv ever! I wish I could get kissed like that just one more time.

Erin January 29, 2013 | 8:34 PM

re: Lauren. I would say Jake Johnson's wife might have a problem with that!

Lauren January 29, 2013 | 8:11 PM

Umm... so who else wants them to fall madly in love in REAL life?!

CJ January 29, 2013 | 8:00 PM

Lordy. That was a steamy kiss. And not cliched at all.