Carrie Underwood On Love And Marriage

Carrie Underwood thinks everyone should enjoy the same right to marry as she did, regardless of what some think her religious beliefs should dictate.

Last summer Carrie Underwood caused a stir when the self-professed Christian came out in favor of gay marriage. Now she's elaborating on those beliefs.

In June, Underwood (who is wed to hockey star Mike Fisher) told a British paper, "As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love." The statement raised the ire of some conservative Christian fans, but the country star is sticking to her guns.

"I'm in favor of acceptance," Underwood elaborated in an interview with Allure magazine. "And I am a Christian person, and I do love the Lord, and I feel no matter who you are, what you believe, how you live your life, it's not my place to judge. I don't want that power. It's my place to love and to show God's love to other people, even if they don't live a life like I live. So that's where I'm coming from."

Carrie Underwood: Best dressed celebrities at the 2012 ACAs >>

"I feel I've done a few interviews where someone is coming from an accusatory way [about the issue]," she revealed. "If mail comes to my house, I don't check my mail. I don't want to know. I just run my own race. If somebody doesn't like you, they're going to find a reason not to like you. As soon as you give them something like that, they're going to be like, 'Ha, ha! That's it!' So that's fine. They probably didn't like me in the first place."

Speaking of equality, Underwood would appreciate it if you treated her husband as his own man and not "Mr. Carrie Underwood."

"It made me feel awful," the 29-year-old star complained to the mag. "Somebody works real hard to make a name for themselves, a respectable name, and then it's 'Mr. Underwood.'"

Read the complete interview with Carrie Underwood in the new issue of Allure.

Image courtesy Judy Eddy/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Christian Carrie Underwood supports gay marriage"

Sean August 29, 2013 | 5:41 AM

It is a really tough thing to love the sinner but hate the sin. We are all so human (sinful), and sometimes it is the 'best' people who hide the darkest side. I do believe that homouality is hated by God, it says so in the Bible. The question is, we should all ask ourselves, practically speaking, how can we love someone but hate what they do? It is tough. Let me put it another way, (since we all go to church!), if a new person walks in the door one Sunday, and we come to learn that this person is a homoual, what will you do? Most will shy away. A small percentage of people will say hello and 'be friendly'. Not many, if any, will form a genuine friendship, and based on that friendship, begin to reveal the truth to them about their sin, in love. Think about it. To be honest, I'm not sure I will? Back to Carrie. I think that she is doing what she believes in, and props to her for that, she is taking a lot of flack for it, which is probably more than most of us are doing. So all we can do is support her, love her, tell her that God is in love with her, and pray that she will know the truth, but... and get this... she needs to find it herself. And when she does, she will be a powerful witness. Bottom line, love her, don't slate her. Being 'famous' is a huge responsibility, and she is doing pretty well up until now, compared to most other celebrities. Love her, encourage her..... How… you figure it out, but whatever you do, do it in love, and when you do, it is doing it unto God.

Michelle August 05, 2013 | 9:08 PM

Its obvious she wasn't a christian from the start when she got famous and rich. A truly regenerate christian would follow God's will in life, not going around without worship. Its not my place to judge, but this is what I feel in my heart.

Sister Mary June 30, 2013 | 11:15 PM

Guess what? None of you are God. So stop judging as only He can. At least when she sees Him, He will and does know and will welcome her love for mankind and her honesty. Wow. Move out of the way of falling stones.

Jackie June 26, 2013 | 11:29 PM

Carrie Underwood isn't a born again Christian.The Bible is the Word of God;and the Word is God.HE is against homouality(Leviticus,Romans),and so many other books.Carrie just wants everybody to like her coz if she spoke the truth,many would hate her.If u follow Jesus you will be persecuted,she's obviously not a follower of Christ.She loves the world too much.Jackie.

Kau April 22, 2013 | 8:29 PM

@ Jordan.. Christians may not have the right to "judge", but we do have the God given right of discernment.. if the fruits are not good, then ye shall discern, and move on.. for good does not entertain and evil.. and God is not a God of confusion.. his yoke is easy... you cannot serve 2 masters, you cannot serve good and evil, and God cannot be present in sin. As they said verily we have prophesied in your name, we have done works in your name, and Jesus said, "Be away with yourselves, for you knew me not..

Jordan April 05, 2013 | 3:27 PM

@Sharon: Ignorance and egocentricity is the root of a judgmental and intolerant attitude. Jesus pointed out several times that none of us has a right to judge others' sins or lives--look at your own sin (MYOB). You need a reality check and a lesson on empathy. We are created equal, and we are also given a choice to do right or wrong by God. Carrie's point was relevant that it doesn't matter whether others believe what she believes...I'm not sure you consider the possibility that many if not all homoual couples have been badgered by nosy Christian hypocrites their whole lives and are aware of the possible consequences as far as their relationship with God--that is if they even have the same faith as yourself. But that relationship (or lack thereof) is none of your business, and you cant force others to have the same beliefs as you. Unconditional acceptance draws people to God and Christianity, hypocrites send them running. Many people, including a lot of Christians, "support" marriage because they believe in separation of church and state (what if all laws were determined by a faith you disagreed with? You'd feel like a prisoner too)...not to mention the understanding that it's not so simple to change who you're attracted to. How easy would it be for you? "If you don't support marriage, don't get one."

Sharon April 01, 2013 | 3:26 PM

I loved Carrie Underwood a few minutes ago and am now very disappointed in her. I watched as she won American Idol and was so thrilled to see her speak out as a Christian. To hear her not only say she is for marriage, but that it is her place to love as a Christian tells me that her faith needs a good looking-up of what God's Word says about the matter. It's great to love everyone, but as a Christian she needs to show that she understands how much God loves the sinner, but He hates the sin. I am disappointed in her.