She's Making Her Mark On The Web Next

Meredith Vieira has given her final answer as she is officially leaving the syndicated version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire for a new venture with NBC News.

MeredithVieiraleavingMillionaire

After 11 seasons with the syndicated version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, host Meredith Vieira has given her final answer: She's leaving the show.

A spokesperson for Disney/ABC Television told Reuters, "It's the final year of Meredith's contract. She has chosen to move on and pursue other opportunities. We are searching for a new host."

There is no word as to who will replace Vieira, but the newscaster is pretty clear she is sticking with NBC for her next venture. After leaving The Today Show in June 2011, she has remained loyal to the network by working as a special correspondent for NBC News as well as appearing on their 2012 London Olympics coverage.

The 59-year-old gave a statement to the New York Times on Thursday about her departure. She said, "It’s been a great 11 years. I am about to embark on a new adventure with NBC and I have a digital venture which will be announced shortly. This just seemed like the right time to make the move.”

Reportedly, she is going to have her own YouTube channel that covers softer news and lifestyle stories. However, that news has not been officially announced.

During her tenure at the syndicated game show, she won two Emmys for best game show host and she is the longest reigning female game show host in television history. Vieira started on the show as a celebrity contestant when Regis Philbin hosted the prime time version of the show. She took over the host slot when it was reformatted for daytime television in 2002.

Once Disney/ABC Television picks her replacement, the new host will start in the fall with the next season.

Image courtesy of Joseph Marzullo/WENN.com

Tags: nbc news

Comments

Comments on "Meredith Vieira leaving Who Wants to be a Millionaire"

paulette west March 21, 2014 | 9:36 AM

we miss you on the millionaire. good luck to you :)

Marissa Casey October 04, 2013 | 10:42 AM

I really miss Meredith on the Millionaire show. She is the perfect host for that show and no one can do it better than she does. Meredith - come back to the show please.

Judy Rynearson September 28, 2013 | 12:02 PM

Cedric is a horrible replacement for Meredith. I don't see how this show can possibly continue with him as the emcee. Not funny, boring.... boring... boring. I am happy for Meredith, but I will no longer be watching Millionaire any longer. Cedric was on another game show that bombed... should be sign.

Pat Moretto September 18, 2013 | 9:10 AM

TV had very little class but we had Meredith!! How could she be replaced with this crude individual? Couldn't you find anyone better? Goodby Millionaire. Pat

Kaye September 13, 2013 | 12:34 PM

Meredith, your replacement makes me sick. There is no warmth to the show anymore. Loved your sweet personality which made all of the contestants feel so much at home and comfortable. Sorry to say, Millionaire won't last very much longer - I give it six months. I watched it once after you left and will never watch it again. Miss you so much.

Marilyn Chellberg September 11, 2013 | 4:01 PM

I had no idea Meredith was leaving. She is the most delightful, upbeat host. I watched Millionair just to see her. This new guy is loud, foul-mouthed boring person. I won't be watching it any longer. You would think they could come up with someone with class. I feel from what I've heard others say about thier choise of a replacement, it won't be long before the show ends.

TedInMontreal August 01, 2013 | 9:13 AM

Is ABC nuts??? Replacing Meredith (Talented, personable, sweet) with no-talent Cedric?? This has to be a planned cancellation. I haven't missed watching Meredith daily. Can't imagine Cedric doing that show for 10 minutes!!! It's like imagining Cedric replacing Alex Trebec .. a total farce????????????????

judymccartney July 26, 2013 | 11:30 AM

I watch millionaire every day and I really like meredith. She is kind andnice to everyone. I probably won't be watching it once cedric takes over. Anytime I watch him, he has been foul-mouthed. Why are most of the hosts of game shows now black?

Jane Knight February 04, 2013 | 6:38 AM

I auditioned to be on Millionaire at Indianapolis a few years ago but was disqualified in one written test because I started earlier than the other prospective contestants. This was because I thought I had heard the test proctor give the okay to begin, when in fact, he hadn't. I was that eager to appear alongside Meredith on "Millionaire"--now I will miss her. If she wishes to pursue a long-lost dream of being a Susan Tedeschi-like blues singer/musician, I wish Meredith all the luck in the world and will buy her music on iTunes.

debra January 14, 2013 | 3:33 PM

I think that its very sad news she is a wonderful host with a personality of fresh air. I will miss her. I watch the show every day. ereith U made the show Regis was no match to u. Just like live show Michael Strandhand is the show. Someone should replace that anorix kelly. U will be missed very much. Good luck on r new journey god bless ypu for making me watch you oxox

Janice Davidson January 13, 2013 | 1:47 PM

I will miss you Meredith! You have been the most down to earth, lovely host of all time!! Best to you in your next success...you are a natural in everything you do. PS I will still try to get on the show.....Janice