The Newsroom's Cast Continues To Grow

HBO's drama The Newsroom may not have gone over well with critics, but what do they know? As the show returns for a second season, more names are added to the cast.

The Newsroom's Jeff Daniels, Olivia Munn, and Thomas Sodoski

While there's still no start date for the second season of The Newsroom, there continues to be a slight buzz about the show. How has HBO made that happen? Well, not every media blurb happened on purpose. The rumor over Aaron Sorkin firing nearly all of his writers wasn't planned. Neither was the topless picture Alison Pill accidentally tweeted. However, the new additions to the cast have been intentional.

Spoilers! Newsroom creator tells us what's ahead on Season 2 >>

Mamie and Grace Gummer

The most recent cast addition (announced on Tuesday) is Grace Gummer. Gummer is the daughter of Meryl Streep and the sister of Emily Owens, M.D.'s Mamie Gummer. She's previously appeared on Smash and Nickelodeon's Gigantic. Her character, Hallie Shea, will be an embedded reporter on the Romney campaign trail.

Two other stars have also been added to The Newsroom's cast. Patton Oswalt and Rosemarie DeWitt will join the crew for the second season. Oswalt will play the human-resources VP for Atlantic Cable News, the network that airs Will McAvoy's show. Meanwhile, DeWitt comes on board to play an attorney defending ACN in a wrongful termination suit.

Cast of Newsroom tells us their favorite Season 1 lines and moments >>

Never caught Season 1 of The Newsroom? Check out this teaser from last year, then catch the rest of the episodes on HBO on Demand.

The Newsroom centers on Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels), a hotheaded and opinionated cable news anchor who's determined to change the shape of journalism. The show was created by Aaron Sorkin, the genius behind the political drama The West Wing. Much like President Bartlet on The West Wing, McAvoy is often the fearless leader who inspires his support staff with his dogged determination. Sorkin's trademark of letting his characters speak in soliloquies instead of just having conversations is also a major part of the show. What better way to channel that urge than to focus on someone (a news achor) whose only job is to have one-sided conversations?

Newsroom to return in early June >>

Perhaps the most intriguing part of The Newsroom, though, is how it works. Sorkin and his very small team of writers take actual, recent events, depict how they might have broken in McAvoy's newsroom and show how the news team might have decided to cover them.

Despite the disapproval of critics, The Newsroom earned great viewer ratings in its first season. After only two episodes, HBO signed on for a second season that will, hopefully, begin airing by early summer.

Images courtesy of WENN.com

More on The Newsroom

The Newsroom premiere: Just what the country ordered!
Aaron Sorkin talks about The Newsroom
Thomas Sadoski says Newsroom script is extremely difficult

Tags: patton oswalt

Comments

Comments on "The Newsroom gears up for Season 2"

S. Johnson April 11, 2013 | 2:55 PM

Best show by far, we need to more and sooner. So good to hear the language spoken well by smart people.

kristjanna February 26, 2013 | 2:02 PM

absolutely love The newsroom, it's such an inspiring, smart show. I just can't beileve we've had to wait a whole year for season 2! This show is television at it's best, big fan, highly recommend!

David February 25, 2013 | 1:26 PM

This show is the reason I subscribe to HBO. It's the best show on TV.

Wanda February 16, 2013 | 5:19 PM

I am so relieved that the show is coming back for Season 2. I'm hoping for Seasons 3-12 to follow. We need this kind of show to inspire the REAL news to get better again. Ax Fox.

Mika January 29, 2013 | 1:57 PM

Fantastic tv-serie. Its shows nice what kind of politics environment you have there in USA. Tea party, American taliban says Will.. heh heh. I think that was true. Waiting season 2... BR from Finland

Nick January 27, 2013 | 9:04 PM

Big fan of season 1, but if Sorkin doesn't start attacking the far left as much as the far right in season 2, I'm done with it.

Barrack Hussein January 27, 2013 | 6:19 PM

Liberal Propaganda. No thanks.

Mary Elia January 25, 2013 | 5:58 PM

Love the show and am eager for its return. Can understand why the big wigs at the networks would try to stop it as it hits hard at what is wrong with news "reporting" today. Every show made a point that was so true...IMHO

Tyler January 16, 2013 | 3:05 PM

The reason the critics panned it is because it does take a bit of a swipe at current news outlets as being more driven by sensationalism and ratings (I know so off base right? *puke*) instead of focusing more on content. I'm sure many of these critics either worked at a news organization at some point or who have friends who currently work in the news industry and they didn't like how the show took a swipe at them/friends. In the end this show is brilliant, one of the better series I've watched in a long time, really well written, beautifully acted and cast, and might I add it's a great depiction of how news used to be, and how it should be now. Fantastic show, and if you haven't had the opportunity to see it, or don't know if you would like it, find the opening scene on youtube. It's fantastic and will get you sucked in minute 1.

Melinda January 15, 2013 | 7:12 AM

the BEST HBO show on. Excellent writing and characters. Riveting and real. Love every character! The writing is brilliant!Refreshing for our minds instead of endless trash. Please!!! bring back 2nd Season!!!

Peter M Fichte January 14, 2013 | 7:41 PM

I can't understand why "the critics" panned "The Newsroom." I watched each episode glued to my TV set. Its premise that "the news" should not pander to "special interests" nor be designed to be served up to the public as "entertainment" is liberating as it is refreshing. I'm glad to have heard that "the public" gave it a very favorable rating. The acting is superb - - the stories are riveting. Finally - - the theme music by Alex Wurman is "to die for!"

RexCraigo January 14, 2013 | 7:02 PM

Excellent television. It's rare that I get inspiration from television but like West Wing this show has given just that. It started slowly but it ended with a bang. Thank you Aaron Sorkin for your work.

Isidro Louis Sepulveda January 13, 2013 | 9:25 PM

Great TV series!!!!!! believe is the one of the best creation of the film industry of 2012, big, big fan.

Victoria January 12, 2013 | 3:37 AM

I can't wait for Season to show in my country - New Zealand. Last time we got to see it a few weeks behind the US which was fast. I cannot believe that the critics have not highly rated it and I hope the viewer numbers keep it going. A brilliant writer and great hard-working cast!

Eldon January 11, 2013 | 1:11 PM

The absolutely most important contribution this series can make to our society is Aaron Sorkin's relentless pusuit of TRUTH within our increasingly obfuscated view of our own lives. BRING IT ON, AARON!!!

Randy January 07, 2013 | 2:07 PM

It is the best show on tv - bar none...I watched it weekly and have gone over it 2 more times In Demand.....Just love Daniels, well actually the whole cast......I hope it's on for many years to come

James January 06, 2013 | 5:04 PM

Absolutely the best show on TV. It is smart, funny, and makes the viewer feel. Sonething that is lacking on TV. I Just finished watching season one again, and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of season two.

Kay Atkins January 06, 2013 | 8:41 AM

I just discovered this show on HBO on demand. Aaron Sorkin must be my favorite writer, I loved Social Network and though I've owned "A Few Good Men" for years, I didn't realize he wrote it. I didn't watch West Wing when it was on tv, but am now going to enjoy it over the next months before Season 2 of The Newsroom catching up on other Sorkin material. I've seen Emily in other "soft" material and I'm enjoying her tougher side.

Therev January 05, 2013 | 9:41 PM

Mackenzie does seem like someone running a rasp over my brain. And the Allison Pill character needs to grow up. However, this is still the best TV since The West Wing! Can't wait for the second season to begin.

Christine January 02, 2013 | 2:27 PM

Love the show. Have always been an idealist patriot leaning Libertarian. That doesn't always sit well with politicians who often are motivated by less than perfect reasons. Parts of the teaparty movement thrill me, parts of it scare me. The show demonstrates the lunancy of parts of the teaparty movement. Why not also show how dangerous Obama is as well?