Political Animals Axed

Is no one safe? The USA Network has cut the fat from its plump lineup. It's canceled not one, not two but three shows, including Political Animals. If Sigourney Weaver can't make it, then no one can.

Sigourney Weaver

The USA Network has brought down the hammer of three of its shows. Political Animals, Fairly Legal and Common Law have all been canceled. Animals was described as a limited series event, while Fairly Legal had two seasons under its belt.

According to TVLine, Common Law was scrapped after just one season. The series starred Michael Ealy and Warren Kole as the "Odd Couple" of cops. Unfortunately, their weekly adventures weren't enough to bring in viewers. The show averaged around 2.1 million.

As for Fairly Legal, USA tried to lighten the blow with some positive news. Instead of focusing on the cancelation, the network wants us to know that star Sarah Shahi has a new job.

In a statement, USA said, "We are proud of Fairly Legal and thank the very talented cast and crew for two fantastic seasons. Sarah Shahi is undoubtedly a star and we're thrilled she'll be joining our sister network NBC on Chicago Fire."

Is that comforting to know?

Sigourney Weaver's Political Animals was a critical hit, but the ratings didn't deliver. It averaged 3.2 million a week, which wasn't enough to keep USA interested.

"We are proud of Political Animals, our miniseries that attracted critical acclaim and impacted the cultural conversation this summer," the network said in a statement. "It was a pleasure to work with Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and a powerful cast led by Sigourney Weaver. We look forward to collaborating again with these immensely talented creatives."

That's three shows down in a matter of 48 hours. Perhaps we should look on the bright side. These are gone, but USA announced return dates for Suits (Jan. 17), White Collar (Jan. 22) and Necessary Roughness (Jan. 23).

Which show will you miss the most?

Photo credit: HRC/WENN

Tags: fairly legal political animals

Comments

Comments on "USA Network on the warpath, cancels 3 shows"

sankofa June 08, 2013 | 1:26 PM

Common law was well written and acted. It is sad that it has been canceled.

jena downing May 29, 2013 | 9:26 AM

I love Psych to me it is one of the best show on TV. I also liked Common Law and Fairly Legal. I also loved and I mean Loved Burn Notice. I can't believe that you would even think of taking off Burn Notice. Please leave Psych alone I love it also. It may be one of the funniest shows on any TV station.

Michael April 24, 2013 | 8:52 PM

You scratch a good show like Fairly Legal but you keep Psych, the dumbest show on tv. Lucky for you there are other shows on your network that I like our I would stop watching.

Brad April 11, 2013 | 11:07 AM

I can see why common law and political animals got cancelled, but I'm very upset about Fairly Legal. I thought season 2 was awesome and the ending of the season left me hanging and I guess I'll staying hanging trying to figure out if they end up together or not.

Tanya Chapman February 04, 2013 | 11:25 AM

I think USA should give Common Law a chance. I was enjoying the premises of the storyline, the writing could have been tweaked a bit. All and all it was a nice concept. Stop just taking it upon yourself 2 remove programs you think I don't want to see.

Jeanne January 25, 2013 | 8:57 PM

I loved Common Law. I was fond of Fairly Legal too. I think both should have been kept on. Don't turn into the big networks that cancel everything while it's still gaining an audience. They were great shows and Common Law was very funny. Could have replaced Psych once it runs it's course.