The Oprah Interview

Gold medal gymnast Gabby Douglas revealed to Oprah that she was bullied by other gymnasts because they were jealous of her awesomeness -- but the Olympian definitely got the last laugh.

Gabby Douglas

The best revenge is living well, they say -- and gymnast Gabby Douglas is getting her just desserts. The Olympic gold medalist says she was bullied by other gymnasts in her past who were jealous of how high she could fly, and possibly tinged with a hint of racism.

Douglas sat down for an interview on Oprah's Next Chapter and revealed her hardship.

Gabby Douglas gets a glam makeover >>

"I felt I was being bullied and isolated from the group," the 16-year-old champion said. "Just, they treated me, not how they treated their other teammates."

"And it was a sense of 'You're different and we're gonna make you feel that way'?" Oprah asked.

"Yes," said Douglas.

Gabby Douglas charms the First Lady & Leno >>

Obviously she has the heart of a champion and turned that hate around for motivation. She even managed to get Oprah up on the balance beam!

"I showed her a couple of tricks and I made her get up on the beam and do a scale, so that was fun!" she told Entertainment Tonight.

Later Douglas used her star power to encourage kids from a New York-area YMCA to reach for their dreams too -- no matter who or what stands in their way.

"I really wanted to get across just never give up and always keep fighting even if you're having hard times in whatever sport you do, just always know that all things are possible," she said. "Don't be afraid. Just always be courageous."

Gabby Douglas' interview with Oprah airs Sunday, Aug. 26 at 8:30/7:30 Central on OWN.

Image courtesy Ivan Nikolov/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Haters bullied Olympian Gabby Douglas"

vintage3000 August 27, 2012 | 7:15 AM

Gabrielle Douglas does not owe any of you bitter, angry, miserable cavetrolls any explanations nor "facts" re: the treatment she received from your ilk. You are a sorry bunch of vile savages who cannot stand to see a successful Black person, and you really foam at the mouth over any allegations of racism. Suck it, and watch Ms. Douglas count her millions while you simmer in your hatred.

striket August 26, 2012 | 12:29 PM

@ come on. Put together a proper sentence one time. The statement "and possibly tinged with a hint of racism" is an assumption and not a statement of fact. Black on white crime is epidemic compared to the reverse. Yet you never hear the MSM even hint at this.

Unto Thyself August 26, 2012 | 11:53 AM

Cry me a river!! From what I observed during the gymnastic events was she was the least gracious and most overrated gymnast. I, along with many observers, felt the Russian girl perfored better in the 'All Around than Crabby Douglas. As an American I can never be accused of provincial bias when I truly feel that Gabby didn't deserve her Gold Medal. Alya Mustafina rightfully earned the Gold in the 'Uneven Bars' while Crabby came in last place. The media is trying to create racial disparity by guising this Black girl as the 'victim' when in reality the other girls never mistreated her. This article is fallacious and filled with hate against whites. I am not saying that Crabby is not a skilled gymnast; I'm merely implying that this story is designed to make her a martyr when in reality she recieved preferential treatment and acted like a sullen twit in the process.

Floor Exercise August 26, 2012 | 11:47 AM

Racism?? The Russian girl got robbed, they basically gave Gabby the Gold.

John Lasville August 26, 2012 | 10:43 AM

I'm white and lived in all black neighborhood I was bullied, and they liked to touch my hair all the time.guess it felt different..when young musician others bullied or tesed you about your playing until you got good..this is just life kids are stupid and cruel..all kids everywhere and sometimes it gives you power and motivation..as I think gabby now feels..

come on? more like moron August 26, 2012 | 10:38 AM

@ Come on... Where is the proof this woman was "bullied"? Why do we always immediately take the side of the African American when they make claims of (bullying?) racism? have we not learned anything from the Al Sharpton episode of the Tawana Brawley case? Liberal Americans should be ASHAMED of themselves for shoring up unpopular beliefs that African Americans are always correct whenever they cry wolf. Facts. Show me the Facts! Not the unsubstantiated allegations.

edward c. stengel August 26, 2012 | 10:25 AM

I experienced something similar to what Gabby went through when I was in high school. I was the shortest guy in the class,about 5 feet, 4 inches tall, back in 1962, in an all-boys school, but I was also the valedictorian. By the way, Dennis Kucinich was also the smallest boy in his class in high school and also the valedictorian, but I think he went to a co-ed school so he was probably taller than some of the girls. I was ignored and hated too. If I had been 6 feet tall, I would have been accepted. There's always some jealousy when you're the best, but it turns to scorn or bullying when you're different and the best.

come on August 26, 2012 | 3:58 AM

@chuck. How come when its a black person white automatically go on the defense...... She is no arrogant but quite confident. But when its a white girl whites are always making excuses oh yeah she had a broke toe, split shin and of course the biggest of all is if course we have hire security gaurds so no one will kidnao our precios white princess..... Utterly ridiculous. Oh no it could never be she was plain out bullied or race was a factor...... Of course white Amerikkkans don't have a history of racisim right! LoL.

Chuck August 26, 2012 | 2:05 AM

Gabby is a terrific gymnast, and absolutely no one should have to suffer bullying. But for her to say she was bullied because "they were jealous of her awesomeness?" C'mon! Could it be she wasn't liked by fellow gymnasts because of her arrogance???

janie isbestor August 24, 2012 | 7:58 PM

I think Gabby is awesome in her field and as a person. she is such a delight to watch and her smile says it all. Best of luck Gabby in whatever you choose to do, "not that you'll need it". Thank God your on our team.