Redneck Games Meets Toddlers And Tiaras

Unlike a certain reality show featuring a certain little boy named "Tripp," #HoneyBooBoo is trending, which means people are at least watching TLC's latest abomination -- a Toddlers and Tiaras spinoff. Oh, the humanity!

Honey Boo Boo

It's hard to upstage the sassy, go-go juice-swigging Alana Thompson ("Honey Boo Boo Child") of Toddlers and Tiaras. But we think her over-the-top Georgia family did just that, and it's prompting critics to call Here Comes Honey Boo Boo "a new low" in TV (Boston Herald) and even a "sign of the apocalypse" (Buddy TV).

The series, which debuted Wednesday, follows 6-year-old pageant queen Honey Boo Boo and her kin's antics in rural Georgia.

3-year-old dresses like a hooker on Toddlers and Tiaras > >

TLC uses a familiar "rednecks as portrayed on TV" formula: Start with grown men and women rolling around in mud pits, insert road kill entrees for dinner and plenty of Daisy Dukes and uninhibited farting.

Don't forget to add Alana's miner dad and her oversized coupon-collecting mom, June. Any other stereotypes we're forgetting here?

While it's a formula we all know well, TLC has people talking -- some very famous people, actually.

Country star Miranda Lambert apparently had no shame when she tweeted, borrowing one of Alana's favorite sayings: "And TLC wins again with another show I am hooked on:) "a dolla makes me holla honey boo boo"!"

Fellow country star Blake Shelton was less impressed: "'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo'... And now here comes runny doo doo..."

Chris Brown, watch out! Miranda Lambert's got a gun > >

While plenty of critics are deriding the show as a sign of the End Times, Headline News and its "Showbiz Tonight" segment contend people will watch this one because it's just that bad.

"Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is not the kind of program that hinges on good reviews," HLNtv reports. "Audiences will watch in droves, maybe because of how terrible it is. As Honey Boo Boo would say to the critics, 'You better redneckognize!'"

Pete Rose gets a TLC show, too > >

To that end, guess what else Honey Boo Boo has on her side? An over-stressed society inundated with awful news coming from far-off countries or from the business that just fired a bunch of workers down the road.

The last thing people generally want to do when they get home is watch more awful news. They want something brainless, something that gets them away, if only for an hour, from the stresses of everyday life.

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo fits that bill, as does anything on MTV these days.

Image supplied by WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Did TLC hit a new low with Here Comes Honey Boo Boo ?"

SUp207 January 06, 2013 | 1:09 PM

The show glorifies poor grammar and poor behavior. Yes, appaently the mom loves her little girl and that's commendable. I am sure there are people who will watch this and perhaps the show is this family's ticket out of their lifestyle of eating "sketti" made with ketchup and Country Crock. If that's the case, then I hope the family achieves their goal. I highly doubt they are doing this show for any other reason than the money.

GeorgiaGirl October 21, 2012 | 12:38 PM

Get a life.There are people in life who don't have everything handed to them and they accept life for what it is. This Honey Boo Boo show is about a mother who LOVES her little girl and her family. I saw them all in person and the other girls are not "rude" as you see on TV.Honey Boo Boo is a typical little girl who does go to school and is not out bragging about money.

Rod October 14, 2012 | 3:35 PM

I have given up on reality tv. I have never seen Honey Boo Boo. Never will. I can say that with a very high degree of certainty. Our culture has become zombie's to this reality shows. We have been basically applauding people displaying the worst behavior. Its sad when you have folks tuning in weekly to watch a family break up on national tv. Tune is weekly to watch ------- get drunk and fight. Half of the reason why this country is so ------ up presently is because of following real issues people are to busy keeping up with the Kardashian's and crap like Honey Boo Boo.

C-M October 04, 2012 | 6:26 PM

Gross. This mother should be ashamed and disgusted with herself. How did mankind evolve into the sheep that view this trash on a daily basis? This show should be protested and banned.

amy October 01, 2012 | 11:34 AM

Get a life people! your perfect little lives aren't enough for ya?? you know you are sitting there watching every episode and passing judgement and thinking about how much better you are than this georgia family, but you just wish your life was as exciting and funny enough to become a reality show, i think its funny as hell, and obviously they give a what you think about them and you admire that secretly but it pisses you off that your life is such a bore and their lives are full of fun and excitement!! Yall better redneckonize because here comes honey boo boo!! You go girl, you have ten times the personality than those other pageant girls have!!

SJ September 28, 2012 | 1:50 PM

This family spends more time together and supports each other way more than most families I know. June thinks her little girl is beautiful and deserves to win a big crown... why does that make her a bad person? I tuned in to this show for the same reason most of America did; to laugh at people who live differently than I do. But time and time again I can't help but envy how happy they all are. I don't see anything laughable here.

Trisha September 28, 2012 | 11:09 AM

Sheer trash - my question is: Why are people watching this redneck gargage? Do people consider this to be entertaining or a mockery?

kristy September 28, 2012 | 8:54 AM

It takes a lot to gross me out, but that show did the trick!

gg September 21, 2012 | 12:04 PM

The Learning Channel lost their collective mind when they put on Toddlers & Tiaras & then Honey Boo-Boo. What useless crap.

AmberLynn September 18, 2012 | 4:30 AM

Waiting for it to become TTC, The Trash Channel

Kathy G. August 17, 2012 | 1:24 PM

I want to throw uo everytime I see this trashy family. TLC----what were you thinking???? This is not a learning channel anymore. I cant believe this family is getting paid for their filthy habits and down right ugliness. What is so speacil about Honey Boo Boo? There are far more prettier girls to be in pagents. Dont get me wrong because she is a pretty girl but come on now----her talking makes her look really bad. I would like to see her ten years from now. I hope she isnt real fat or pregant.

Jimmy The Greek August 16, 2012 | 10:24 AM

Didn't TLC used to stand for "The Learning Channel"??

wyatt August 13, 2012 | 8:56 PM

i would rather watch survivor than watch some so called mother whoring out her 3 year old daughter on tv,she literally gives rednecks a bad name.as far as i think who gives a crap about honey boo boo,she ain,t nothing special,just another spoiled child who wants attention.

yettie stubbs August 11, 2012 | 6:25 PM

I think this program is disgusting! These people buy a little pig, (that cost about 6,000.00) and apparently it is going to die! What are we teaching our childern, here??? They pass gas,like it is pleasant experience for everyone around them. They are giving "Rednecks" a bad name....if this is the best TLC can do, then I will not be watching this channel anymore. I really thought this was going to be a cute show,but was wrong! These people need to get their priorities straight, June said so herself, she doesn't give a" @#%&" what people think , well it really shows...

Bonnie August 10, 2012 | 1:57 AM

This takes TLC slow fall into complete disregard for decency to a new low. It's clearly exploitative and it's definitely going to be damaging to that little girl. Nobody should be able to parade their daughter around like that to fulfill some weird fantasy that never panned out for them. Shame on TLC and shame on the mother who is okay doing this to her baby

Yolanda August 09, 2012 | 5:41 PM

Honey Boo Boo is no worse than Bad Girls Club, The Real World, Basketball Wives, Teen Mom etc etc... all these shows promote fighting, drinking, premarital , bullying, and the list goes on. I would rather watch this little girl than the other trash they display any day!

Syriana August 09, 2012 | 3:50 PM

It's good old fashioned trash tv. Why rednecks are so proud to be the fat, uneducated wastes of space that they are is beyond me. The mom has three chins and her hobbies include going to junk food auctions and whoring her kid out to pageants. Honey Boo Boo farts on-camera, refers to female genitalia as a "biscuit," and jiggles around her belly fat like some new-age truffle shuffle. When your kid gets heart disease, it ain't gon' be so funny anymore, id it?