2012 TCA: Today Show Drama

It's been nearly a month since Ann Curry left NBC's Today Show. Unfortunately, the drama surrounding her departure was still fresh at the network's summer TCA panel.

Ann Curry

NBC's had its fair share of bad publicity following the firing of journalist Ann Curry. She'd been a staple on the Today Show since 1997 and became co-host alongside Matt Lauer in June 2011.

Ann Curry's emotional goodbye on Today >>

After the Today Show lost its spot as the number one morning program for the first time in over a decade, NBC decided to make some changes. One of them was removing Curry and replacing her with Savannah Guthrie.

Savannah Guthrie and Today make the news headline news >>

We hadn't heard much from NBC Chairman Bob Greenblatt about Curry's controversial exit but today he spoke out.

"Shows go through transitions and they're always difficult and I think everybody inside the news division — from what I can tell — took as much care as they could possibly to make this transition happen. It's never easy. Things leak... My heart goes out to all those people including Ann and everybody who went through that transition."

Greenblatt believes the upcoming London Olympics will add the eyeballs needed to get Today back on top.

"I have no doubt that we'll rebound and regain this spot we had for all these years. The Today Show's being broadcast live from the Olympics for the next two and a half weeks and then it goes right into Olympics coverage at 10 a.m. every single day. I think that will boost it."

Guthrie became the new Today co-host in June, while Curry's remained with NBC as a national and international correspondent. She also contributes to NBC Nightly News, Dateline NBC and Rock Center with Brian Williams.

Photo credit: WENN

Comments

Comments on "NBC president: "My heart goes out to Ann Curry""

T Miller August 24, 2012 | 1:02 PM

Bill Greenblatt Chairman for NBC,you are an idot forletting Ann Curry go. Using her as the scapegoat when it was Matt "the loser" Lauer.NBC people you all are a bunch of morons and I will not watch anything NBC.

Cindi N. August 03, 2012 | 3:33 PM

We have encouraged family and friends to no longer support NBC or the Today Show now that you have made a terrible decision in firing Ann Curry because you believed she was the reason for your poor ratings. We can hardly stand to look at Matt Lauer any longer as he is the real reason for your bad ratings. He is proud and arrogant and now feels like a man standing next to Savannah Guthrie because he was intimidated by Ann Curry and her amazing journalism skills. Pathetic NBC. Very pathetic.

Marge August 03, 2012 | 2:12 PM

I love olimpics and watch events not segments with Matt Do not intend to continue watching NBC after they are over unless Ann Curry is back & Matt is no longer on. I expected to see Ann at Olimpics & am disappointed not to see her. I also will be watching the Today show. I also will be watching Katie Couric on her new show. Wake up NBC.

James Mckee August 02, 2012 | 4:23 PM

My wife and I and our friends have moved to CBS and won't be watching the today show anymore.

Brenda Bigger August 01, 2012 | 6:37 AM

Where is Ann Curry at the Summer Olympics? Why Ryan Seacrist and not Ann? I just don't understand what NBC is thinking? It is weird watching the olympics without Ann being a commentator. I have this feelling that Ann is no longer working for NBC.

Elizabeth Evans July 26, 2012 | 8:05 PM

If you think Savannah can top Ann Curry Think Again! I for one will be watching Good Morning America. You screwed up.

NancyC July 26, 2012 | 10:16 AM

NBC needs to fire all their top execs and replace them. Ann Curry did not bring the show to its knees, it was the programming. The Today Show never leaves sufficient time for its guests - often cutting them off and as for members of the Today Show staff, if they were going to replace anyone, it should have been Matt and Al. Both have run their course!