Press Interviews Have Also Been Canceled
Those involved with the film are speaking out about the deadly shootings at the midnight showing on Friday.
"Words cannot express the horror that I feel,” said Bale in the statement, according to CBS News. “I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them."
Bale is the star of The Dark Knight Rises, a film whose box office sales have been anticipated all year. Director Christopher Nolan also spoke out about the tragedy earlier in a statement.
"I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime," Nolan told CBS News. "The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me."
Gary Oldman, who plays Commissioner Goldman in the film, also said his "prayers and deepest sympathies are with the victims of this horrific act, and their families," according to CBS News.
The premiere for the film in Paris was also canceled Friday. But more surprisingly, the crew also canceled all French press interviews. They later canceled two more premieres, in Mexico and Japan, but there is no word if those press interviews have been canceled also.
Warner Bros. said they are "deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident," said CBS News. "We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."
The CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America, Chris Dodd, said "We share the shock and sadness of everyone in the motion picture community at the news of this terrible event," according to CBS News. "We extend our prayers and deepest sympathies to the victims, their loved ones and all those affected by this tragedy."
Warner Bros. and other studios have announced they will postpone releasing their box office numbers for the weekend.
Photo courtesy Frank Altmann/WENN.com