Actors are still basking in the glow of this morning's Primetime Emmy nominations. Reactions from TV's biggest stars are starting to roll out and we've got a few choice words from the year's standout performers.
Earlier today, the world of television was set ablaze. News spread like wildfire as this year's Primetime Emmy nominees were announced. But now that the dust has settled, we've got the reactions of some of TV's luckiest men and women.
After receiving a nomination for outstanding comedy and lead actress, Girls star Lena Dunham tweeted, "I have no jokes to make. This is an amazing morning." Her sentiment was echoed by many actors who had a genuine case of shock and awe.
Check out the stars' reactions below:
- Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife: “I am so honored to be nominated for The Good Wife. The Academy has been very supportive of me over the years and my appreciation is boundless.”
- Jared Harris, Mad Men: “I'm in Wales, visiting an old friend of my dad’s [actor Richard Harris] and we were cooking him lunch when my publicist called. I heard my girlfriend shriek and she started jumping up and down. I thought for a second she was prank calling me! We cracked open some wine and are knocking some back already!”
- Giancarlo Esposito, Breaking Bad: “I'm terribly excited. I could jump through the roof right now. I had so much love for playing Gus Fring, this character I created with Vince Gilligan. He was so different from me, that I think I channeled him as opposed to ‘playing him.’ I feel a lot of love in my heart; a warm and fuzzy feeling for this deep and profound honor. I look forward to having a nice cool glass of champagne today to celebrate.”
- Max Greenfield, New Girl: "I walked into hair and makeup this morning and Paul Rudd, who's the star of the movie, turns to me and goes, 'Hey man, congratulations on being nominated for an Emmy.' What the f--- is going on with my life? Two years ago I was auditioning for Zeke and Luther, and now I'm walking to hair and makeup and Paul Rudd is congratulating me on my Emmy nomination. I don't know what's happening."
- Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey: "I was in the publicity office watching the live stream of the nominations so I watched it as it happened, which is thrilling. I'm over the moon. 16 nominations, it's incredible. To be nominated alongside those amazing women, I'm honored, really."
- Don Cheadle, House of Lies: “Wow. My agent was right when he said, ‘You don't have to bribe all the people to get nominated, Don. Just the right people.’ This is the best $246,000 I've ever spent. Thanks, Emmy.”
- Connie Britton, American Horror Story: "The Emmy thing is such an elusive and wonderful thing because I realize every time I've been nominated, I've been completely shocked — each time in a different way. American Horror Story was a really unique and special show, I felt so fortunate to be able to do it and to have this be the dividend from that is just really extraordinary."
- Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad: "It's kinda like, alright I've received enough love — I'm not entitled to this much love! But it's wonderful, really. I'm not one to throw a big bash for myself, so I'm going to go for a run — I'm going to sweat. That will be my celebration. I'm very pleased, especially for Vince [Gilligan]!"
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep: "I'm so happy! Especially for the show getting a nomination too. I must admit though, I was dead asleep when they were announced. I don’t wake up for these things; I feel like that jinxes it. Today I'm going to celebrate by getting my teeth cleaned. Oh yes, I'm splurging!
- Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: "I want to thank the academy for honoring American Horror Story for all the incredible nominations. It's been wonderful to work on a show with such talented actors and the fabulous creative team of Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and all the brilliant writers who make Constance such an interesting character to play."
(via THR and TVLine)
Who are you rooting for this year?
Photo credits: PNP/WENN