Rumors Are She Is In Talks With NBC

After only a year on the long-running morning show, sources are saying Curry is on her way out. But that doesn't mean she will be leaving NBC any time soon.

Only a year after starting her new role as co-host of the The Today Show, Ann Curry’s future with the show may be in trouble.

The New York Times is reporting that NBC is holding private meetings to determine Curry’s future.

“The planning — which is taking place in secret and has not been finalized — is effectively an admission that all is not well at The Today Show, the show that invented morning television 60 years ago and has inspired countless lower-rated competitors since,” according to the New York Times.

Curry has been with the show for 14 years, but only stepped into the role of co-host in June 2011 after Meredith Vieira left. This spring was the first time in a long time Good Morning America beat The Today Show in the ratings.

Sources say many blame Curry for this shift.

The New York Times is reporting that network officials are discussing Curry’s future with the network, so it sounds like she doesn’t have risk of leaving NBC altogether.

“Those discussions have continued and are expected to be completed before NBC’s coverage of the Summer Olympics begins in late July,” said the newspaper.

Curry has also been on Dateline NBC, and the The Today Show has worked with her recently to help fulfill her journalistic yearnings. This has included working as a foreign correspondent on stories.

“At NBC, information about the talks with Ms. Curry is being closely held between Jim Bell, the executive producer of The Today Show; Steve Capus, the president of NBC News; and Steve Burke, the chief executive of NBCUniversal, which is controlled by Comcast,” said the New York Times. “A spokeswoman for NBC News said the network declined to comment.”

Curry’s The Today Show co-host Matt Lauer recently re-signed his contract with the show. In a recent interview with CNN, he said Curry has “the biggest heart in broadcasting.”

Photo courtesy Patricia Schlein/ WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Is Ann Curry leaving The Today Show after only one year?"

wandamitchell July 14, 2012 | 8:23 PM

i will not watch today if ann curry isnt on she is my favorite

Eva July 05, 2012 | 6:14 AM

I had no real opinion of her until she took over as co-anchor. I do agree she lacks interviewing skills, and I noticed immediately how she tried to 'run' the show. I realize she's been on the show for a number of years, but to be a newbie as a co-anchor, I feel she was out of place to hush the other newscasters during light banter and laughing. I found her to be bossy and I wouldn't want to share a desk with her either.

Lucia L. June 30, 2012 | 7:40 PM

I love Ann Curry, I will not be watching The Today Show anymore, especially with Savannah as co-anchor. She talks like she is forcing her mouth to open wide when she talks, trying to show off her teeth. Ann Curry was sweet and honest on the stories she was talking about. It es not fair at all she did get the farewell goodbye llike Meredith did, not fair it Is totally rude especially when Ann es with NBC for over 15 years and Meredith was there between 1 to 2 years, discrimination.j I cancelled my recordings bye to The Today Show.

r. hunter June 28, 2012 | 4:53 PM

i am so sorry to see ann go the way she did.. she deserved some sort of fanfare and review of some of the big stories she covered.pared to meridith's exit, this display was a very sorry thing for the nbc bosses to do to her..she and matt may have not been the best fit, but come on.. show some class. :(

june williams June 27, 2012 | 5:52 AM

After reading all the above comments, I can see how hard it is for the network to get it right****But what do I know? I love Hoda and Kathy Lee._________I would rather have Matt go and keep Ann

dorau June 27, 2012 | 5:30 AM

Ann isnt the right person for the job... she fakes being concerned about everything and its annoying to watch

Susan June 27, 2012 | 5:22 AM

Finally I can watch Today show without watching Ann Curry's nauseating over the top insincere annoying dramatic over-interviewing style! Does she even know how to talk normally to people? And stop touching everybody!!!

jhahn June 26, 2012 | 10:46 PM

I love Ann Curry. She is very caring, sweet, loving, intelligent, personable, and kind to each person. I think she is a great reporter. The NBC executives seem like very harsh people. What DO they like? Why do they need to keep changing people? Why wasn't Ann covering the Queen's 50th Anniversary in London? She is ALWAYS left out of the Fun! Just when the Summer Olympics begin they axe her. What is up with the NBC executives? I am no longer interested in watching the Today Show. If you want to change people...let Matt Lauer go! Who does he like? (It would seem not many people. - Just the rich & famous! - the power has gotten to him.) I am sad to see Ann Curry go!

MJTA June 25, 2012 | 8:54 PM

I am very sad to hear that Ann Curry is leaving the Today show, and I certainly hope she is not being blamed for the decline in ratings. First off, the Today show is far too long, and the Kathy lee and Hoda portion is a joke. The ones that should be leaving are Matt and Al. They both appear to be burned out, snarky and show no personality with the other hosts or guests.

Karen Y June 25, 2012 | 8:01 PM

Oh my . I'm so sorry for the Today show they are losing a GREAT part of there team . The Today show WILL NOT be the same . I'm sorry AL and Matt, yes all of you do a GREAT JOB and it is SAD that the top Producers and Board members feel that one person can have so much control over their ratings , Yes, I'm talking to you , I think it is sad to think that you sit behind these tables and these reports put themselves on the line for this company. It is NOT her fault of your ratings and it is ashame that you will not take the blame ( the producers) Let this team of reports be , let them report , interview and STOP . You want ratings changed well get up and do something besides firing people that do there jobs they way they are suppose to. Matt , Al and Anne make you feel apart of the family ( we should hear more about them as well , have a cup of coffee/ tea STOP being STUFFY . Look at the everyday people that watch them . I will miss watching the TODAY Show cause I think your crazy to keep having ALL these changes. Remember changes are good ONLY when needed ( look at the TOP it all starts there) Blessings and I hope and will pray for the TEAM ( TEAM has no I in it )

Lil Kentucky June 24, 2012 | 1:13 PM

I hate to see Ann gone totally ......Matt was unhappy when Savanah or Natalie did not get the position originally...........

helen June 23, 2012 | 6:56 AM

Matt lauer comes across as mean to others and not likable! A fresh male face us really needed. I dont like to watch him and do enjoy the gma team! The are fun.

DarwinsMyth June 22, 2012 | 3:30 AM

NBC is crazy if they think Ann Curry is the reason for their decreasing ratings... and not baldy Matt Lauer. How about putting on some real news... that might help... and get rid of the liberal bent.

gabster June 21, 2012 | 9:49 PM

I love Ann Curry. She is a great reporter. Honestly I don't see Savannah Guthrie as a replacement for Ann. She is a bit annoying. The Today without Ann will possibly go downhill.

t pirtle June 21, 2012 | 5:09 PM

ps...it made me sad to see ann this morning...she seemed like she was rather subdued and maybe it was me, but she seemed sad...

t pirtle June 21, 2012 | 5:07 PM

i think that ann curry seems like one of the most caring genuine people in news...but, that being said, she is not my favorite interviewer...i think natalie morales is the more natural anchor compared to savannah and ann...

Emma June 21, 2012 | 3:57 PM

I think that Ann Curry has spent too many years one the sidelines, that now as she has the task of headlining she just doesn't have what it takes. Clearly, since ratings are down and comments here are showing she isn't a fan favorite. It is too bad since she has such a long history on the show, but it isn't the same and change can be hard on the viewer.

La-Shun Martin June 21, 2012 | 1:43 PM

I enjoy the Today but it comes on too many times and its just a repeat of what you got the first 2 hours. Ann is a great reporter but co-hosting is not for her. The best match for Matt is Katie Couric. If anybody can remeber when they went to New Orleans and did that segment and treaded those waters they heart bleed for the victims. They need to relieve Kathy Lee of her duties talking to a man and his wife is deceased. Did she not prepare the night before nor the day of before the interview? Savannah is a good reporter but defintely no Co-host material nor is Meredith. Call Katie I am sure Matt owuld love to have her at the Summer Olympics as his Co-Host.

L Jones June 21, 2012 | 12:14 PM

I would be glad if Ann was not going to be co-anchor anymore. I do not believe she is the best for the job. It was much better when she just had a few stories. Plus she really needs a stylist. I can hardly stand to see what she will try to throw together for an outfit. She should be more conscience of that being she is on tv. I think if Katie would not come back then Savannah would be a good job. I do also enjoy Natalie. I think anyone could be better than Ann.

Kim June 21, 2012 | 10:13 AM

I hope they find a way to keep her in the network. I really like Ann Curry, I don't know why the ratings have dropped. But I'm not a huge morning TV person. I prefer watching the hard news shows in the morning. The News Hour is my favorite, or Frontline.