Conservative Group Applauds Star

Of course, the conservative group lending support to the country star is GOProud, a national organization billing itself as the "voice of gay conservatives and their straight allies." Intense speculation remains about how Carrie Underwood's pro-gay marriage stance, made public recently in U.K.'s The Independent, will impact the career of a hit-maker with a traditionally socially conservative fan base.

Carrie Underwood backlash

A day after Carrie Underwood's pro-gay marriage stance went viral, conservative group GOProud is giving the thumbs up to the star's own coming out of sorts on the still hot-button issue.

"Good for her," GOProud's co-founder and executive director Jimmy LaSalvia told the Los Angeles Times. "Carrie Underwood isn't any different from anyone else in America.

"The more Americans think about how issues affect their gay friends and family the more they come to realize that supporting same-sex civil marriage is the right thing to do," he added. "More and more people are coming to that conclusion -- and that includes conservative Christians."

But LaSalvia's statement may be more encouraging and optimistic than the true state of the country indicates.

In fact, if the sentiments expressed in publications such as The Christian Post are any indication, there remains a wider gulf between those organizations such as GOProud -- which pride itself in its fiscal conservative-ness and limited government positions -- and those highly socially conservative groups.

Following Underwood's stance going viral yesterday, a Christian Post report said the songstress who shot to stardom on American Idol "surprised many with her support for same-sex unions."

The publication also seemed more preoccupied than more mainstream pubs with the Oklahoma-born Baptist's choice of church, saying, "Underwood and her husband, hockey player Mike Fisher, attend a nondenominational congregation that has an unconventional understanding of God's word. She feels that the most important tenet of Christianity is love."

Responses immediately following that report included: "She is wicked, not a Christian." "I had no idea that she would fall this far…" "And hell keeps getting bigger and bigger…"

The expected backlash from a socially conservative fan base has been likened frequently in recent hours to the outcry expressed by fans when the Dixie Chicks came out against President George W. Bush and the Iraq War.

Image courtesy of Judy Eddy/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Will Carrie Underwood's coming out in support of gay marriage hurt her career?"

Ed June 20, 2012 | 10:34 AM

The reason why I will not support her in purchases or youtube hits any longer is for a few reasons. 1) God comes first and she openly contradicted Him, because she apparently thinks she is wiser than Him. 2) She claimed she stays away from controversy- but she knew speaking those words would in fact send a message 3) I am tired of celebrities using there time in the sun to damage others and follow their own ignorance. (Swift is next- you watch-quite frankly she already has come out but I know people need a "big" and obvious flaw like Ms. Underwood)

Bill June 14, 2012 | 9:28 AM

Most of these people complaining about Carrie's comments never bought an album of hers anyway. Oh sure, they *say* they did. But we know that's not true. Many country stars have come out and said they support rights from Dolly Parton to Garth Brooks to everyone in between. Oh sure, they threw away all their Dolly and Garth albums too. Yea, right.

Victoria June 13, 2012 | 9:38 PM

People today have drifted so far away from the teachings of the Holy Bible for fear of being politically incorrect that they have completely disowned their own personal beliefs. It's 'follow the crowd of the most popular' or 'ditto.....what he said' to keep from standing on your own principals. There is an old 'political' saying.....'united we stand, divided we fall'. In the Bible, it is said that if we are ashamed of God, then He will be ashamed of us. The land He so freely gave to His children has fallen. I fear that God is very much ashamed of the way politics have torn apart our once strong and undivided Christian nation and those who have chosen to walk the walk of wants and desires should surely fear the God they have turned their backs on. The faithful few will stand ready His mansions to share....and when we get to heaven, we won't be out-numbered there !!!

Sabeck June 13, 2012 | 2:28 PM

It is not what Carrie thinks or feels...it is what God says. I am not a fan of Carrie anymore. It is not judging, it is simply knowing what God says about it.

Kathy June 13, 2012 | 2:21 PM

Oh, brother. If all of you who proclaim yourselves christian really are, then why do you cherry pick what is and isn't acceptable in YOUR life, and judge others when you don't follow the bible to the letter. It's been proven that atheists know more about the bible than self-proclaimed christians, and I know what it says about who will and won't get into heaven. Keep dreaming, all of you who posted your -obsessed drivel, cuz you ain't getting in, though you think and say you will. Ain't happening.

Jane June 13, 2012 | 10:25 AM

I for one am finished with Carrie Underwood. I also am a Christian and I know what my Bible says about a man or woman lying with one another. You need to get your life in order and read the Bible more . Your music will no longer be played on my radio and I have already thrown the cd's away.God takes care of all. Mabye your records will hit a slack period, because Christian's will not support you.

Joyce June 13, 2012 | 12:31 AM

It is a very sad day when someone with a Baptist background would say something so stupid & stand for something so degrading to our God's creation--man was made higher than the animals---when animals mate they mate male & female--why would any human want to lower theirselves below what God created them to be. It has nothing to do with us loving each other or being a judge it is simply the Word of the Most High God!!

Tim June 12, 2012 | 6:25 PM

Carrie, Thank you for standing up for what you feel is right. I grew up in a Christian family and school. Ever since I was born, I have always known that I was . It is hard when people criticize other people for trying to be happy. The Bible also says, "Thou shalt not lie." Who hasn't lied? I mean, lets be real. Thank you for standing up for equality and I will always support you in your music career. Best of luck & God Bless! Tim

Emma June 12, 2012 | 4:21 PM

It has nothing to do with her being a country star and believing in marriage. It has everything to do with her proclaiming she is a Christian and that her faith has led her to this decision when the Bible clearly states it's stance on homouality and marriage. Marriage was designed for a man and a woman to honor God in all they do. The other comments say it better than I can!

eman June 12, 2012 | 4:04 PM

Realy sad that ANYONE would promote homouality in any form. Do a little research including the CDC website. You will find that homouals are many, many times more likely to carry and pass STDs then any other group of people. You are wrong Ms Underwood about the Bible too. I'm pretty sure God called it an abomination, destroyed cities, and stated over and over Old and New Testaments that His plan has always been man and woman. Will never buy another CD again.

Dennis June 12, 2012 | 2:29 PM

Carrie Underwood, like anyone else can be wrong a hundred times a day. The problem is that her lack of Biblical understanding is showing. The Bible is VERY clear that homouality is wrong, and marriage is doubly wrong. To say it was her faith in God that brought her to this decision shows her lack of faith, not abundance of faith, and her willingness to compromise God's law. I was under the impression that she was a Christian who desired to serve God instead of man... I have bought my last Carrie Underwood CD.

Donna June 12, 2012 | 2:02 PM

I think it will hurt her, as for being a born again Christian myself you can not believe the Bible in part and god tells us to love them enough to tell them the truth it is an abomination to him. Sorry Carrie your Wrong ;((((

kirk jensen June 12, 2012 | 11:31 AM

Well, what does Underwood have to say about the bible saying" man is not to lay with another man" what did God do to Sodom, he destroyed it because of homoual sin. If ur a CHRISTIAN Underwood, what bible do u read?????????????? You lost me as a fan, for sure. Even without the Bible, how medically healthy is it for a man to "enter" another man? It completly destroys the "muscle" in the anus, it's not met to "recieve"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grow up and quit kissing hollywoods ass!

Leslie June 12, 2012 | 10:10 AM

So just because she's a country music star, she can't be a supporter of marriage? That is ridiculous. Good for her for standing up for her opinion of what is right. I think Carrie is awesome and I hope the backlash doesn't last.