Sad: Davy Jones
Missed During Tribute

The Monkees' singer Davy Jones was all but forgotten last night during the Billboard Music Awards. Who was remembered during the show's tribute?

The 2012 Billboard Music Awards were full of tributes to those we lost this year, including Whitney Houston, Donna Summer and The Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch. Even recently departed Robin Gibb was included.

One person was notably missing, though: The Monkees lead singer Davy Jones. The "Daydream Believer" singer, 64, passed away on Feb. 29 after a massive heart attack. Apparently his years of hits weren't enough to warrant a place in the show -- and fans noticed.

Davy JOnes forgotten during Billboard Music Awards

"You know, Davy Jones was a music icon and the Billboard awards said NOTHING. That is a pretty big FAIL. I miss him," one tweeter wrote.

Jones wasn't the only one without a tribute: Departed musicians Levon Helm and Etta James were also missing. Overzealous producers caused serious outrage on Twitter by cutting Natasha Bedingfield's tribute to Summer short.

"Donna Summer was literally the voice of an era! they should have at least let Natasha finish the song," New York City radio personality Angie Martinez tweeted.

We have to agree, though the tributes that were performed were pretty poignant. Cee Lo Green performed the Beastie Boys' "(You Gotta) Fight for Your RIght (to Party!)" in honor of Yauch, while Jordin Sparks sang Houston's hit "I Will Always Love You" and John Legend performed "The Greatest Love of All" before Bobbi Kristina Brown took the stage to accept the Millennium Award on her mom's behalf.

Bobbi Kristina Brown accepts awards for Whitney Houston

"I really want to say thank you to everyone who supported us through it all," said Brown, flanked by her aunt, Patricia Houston. "Not just from when it was good but when it was bad, too. Thank you for showing that much love, because she deserved it... I'm just blessed to have been in such an incredible woman's life. There will never be another one, ever."

Images courtesy WENN.com

What was your favorite moment at the 2012 Billboard Music Awards?

Tags: davy jones donna summer

Comments

Comments on "Davy Jones gets the shaft during the Billboard Music Awards"

Denise Whitfield June 15, 2012 | 6:46 AM

Shame on Billboard. Whoever was over that call should lose their job.

tim gunner May 30, 2012 | 11:29 AM

To forget Davy Jones and the Monkees is unforgivable. I'm glad I don't follow "billboard!"

lovenlife4529 May 27, 2012 | 10:48 AM

I've followed Davy Jones, his life and his career, since 1966, when I first saw him on The Monkees. He's been a huge part of my life for over 45 years, and his death on Feb. 29th of this year has left a huge hole in my heart that can never be filled. He was a wonderful man who loved his family, loved his horses, and lived a clean life. He was a wonderful person and a great performer. Billboard should be ashamed to not even mention his passing. Even so, Davy will never be forgotten by his fans and the lives he touched through his music. Davy, you're written in my heart, and I'll love you forever.

Bevery Sheffer May 22, 2012 | 12:59 PM

Why am I no surprised that they did nothing to honor Davy Jones at the award show. All I heard in the advertising was about Whitney. I am surprised to hear that they did something for Donna Summer. It seems to me that the artists they did not honor were the one's to show that a decent and honorable life is not respected by the crazy media in LA. Let us just ignore these award shows and remember the wonderful music they offered to the rest of us.

Enrico Palazzo May 22, 2012 | 7:38 AM

How much of this can we really get upset about or take seriously? If you consider that the only publication that matters less than Billboard does today is Rolling Stone, you begin to see that all these award shows/honorary halls are about glorifying themselves to try and regain their "market share" and not about honoring the talent, of whom they actually know little to nothing. The public-that-matters knows what Jones, James, Helm, et al, meant to us and to popular music as a whole. The fact that a bunch of i-Pod Generation Marketing Major Hipsters who've been put in charge of these farces have no clue what they meant or who they were shouldn't surprise anyone who's in touch with reality. The way I look at it, I'm think we're better off than had they tried to do a tribute to Davy and messed it up by using tracks where Mickey, Peter or Mike sang the lead vocal and, believe me, given what I did see, that would have happened.

Del Bazemore May 22, 2012 | 5:52 AM

Whitney Houston was and IS overrated. She wasnt THAT good to begin with, and being a drug addict was her problem. She didnt want the help, and she didnt admitt she had a problem. Why waste all that time about someone when there were others that were ignored. Davy Jones IS and was a 60's pop icon. If it werent for The Beatles, The Monkees would have never been.. Who cares about Whitney Houston and what did she contribute to the music industry other than being a DRUG ADDICT!!! Shame on them for not saying anything about Davy Jones.

Sally Taverner May 22, 2012 | 4:19 AM

THIS IS A TOTAL DISGRACE by Billboard. Shame on them. Davy Jones and The Monkees brought so much joy, music and laughter to millions of people worldwide for DECADES. I am a huge lover of music, usually rock and or alternative/indie music, but it was The Monkees that "turned me onto music" at the age of 10. What more can I say???? SIMPLY STUNNED!!! Sally Taverner...

Liz May 21, 2012 | 8:58 PM

Davy Jones and Donna Summer were two of my favourite performers. Got their albums. Loved them. Donna cut short and Davy not even mentioned. It's a sad state, and both of them were around long before Whitney was even heard of. I realize Janis was a druggie, but she was a hell of a better performer than Whitney. I have a couple of Whitney's albums. They collect dust on my shelf.

guy thompson May 21, 2012 | 8:57 PM

its obvious the so called big people who run billboard , rolling stone etc have really no idea of what the public loves , not disrespecting donna summer , but i feel davy should had been mentioned above her , he was a music icon for almost 50 yrs , yes believe it or not if davy lived another 3 yrs , it would had been 50 yrs of Monkees. i miss davy .

rose May 21, 2012 | 8:43 PM

How about Donna Summer? usually they only glorify the druggies.

Grace Ilasi May 21, 2012 | 8:16 PM

I am not surprised that Davy Jones was ignored, seems only drug addicts count these days. Davy was so talented, and ignoring him was a Big Mistake,I am a long time Monkee fan, the best show I saw was last June, when The Monkees ,did there tour,sold out,2 hours on stage ,no opening act, and they were fantastic. I am sorry for the other deaths,but Davy died from a heart attack, and for all the years he performed,he should have been recognized. His fans will never forget him!!!!!!

Eve Penhollow May 21, 2012 | 6:15 PM

Personally Im am sick to death about hearing about Whitney Houston though I was not a fan of hers ENOUGH ALREADY!!! Drugs killed her she took them could have been prevented just as Michael J Elvis Joplin Hendricks and on and on let her rest other people are just as important and totally ignoring Davy Jones was a big Boner you people should be ashamed of yourselves And cutting short a tribute to Donna Summer so there could be more Whitney Well its just wrong Davy and Donna suffered from sickness not self induced sickness that could have been prevented Bad Call Guys REALLY BAD CALL