Death Becomes Her

Why would Grey's Anatomy do that? That's what many fans thought while watching last night's season finale. Creator Shonda Rhimes made good on her deadly promise and killed one the series' regulars.

Ellen Pompeo

Someone from Grey's Anatomy has gone bye-bye and it's not who you think. For weeks, we've gotten hints that Thursday's finale would bring death. We were warned that someone significant would bite they bullet, and they did.

(If you haven't watched the episode, avert your eyes. Spoilers below!)

This year's finale centered on a dramatic plane crash that put multiple lives in danger. Lots of characters were at risk, but only one met their maker. It was Little Grey! Creator and writer Shonda Rhimes killed off Lexie (Chyler Leigh), Meredith's (Ellen Pompeo) sister.

Lexie was trapped under some wreckage with her legs and pelvis in shambles. Despite the attempts by those around her, including former beau Mark (Eric Dane), she was a goner.

To say we were shocked would be an understatement. So what does Rhimes have to say about her bold decision? Shortly after the show aired (on the West Coast) she took to Twitter to explain the how and why.

"Callie said it best tonight: Life changes in an instant. Turns on a dime.

I love Chyler and I love the character of Lexie Grey. She was an important member of my Grey’s family. This was not an easy decision. But it was a decision that Chyler and I came to together. We had a lot of thoughtful discussion about it and ultimately we both decided this was the right time for her character’s journey to end. As far as I’m concerned Chyler will always remain a part of the Shondaland family and I can’t wait to work with her again in the future.

I’d write more but I’m honestly too sad. I don’t like life changing in an instant and turning on a dime."

R.I.P Little Grey.

How do you feel about Lexie's death? Did Rhimes make the right choice?

Photo credit: FayesVision/WENN

Tags: chyler leigh shonda rhimes

Comments

Comments on "Grey's Anatomy season finale: OMG, who died?!"

tyeck73 June 24, 2012 | 8:52 AM

PLEASE be a dream! I'm still in mourning, and over a freakin' tv show!? I'm a fairly intelligent person, with a life, and this has devastated me. I've invested many years in this show, and they not only killed off my favorite character, but the best love story on t.v. PLEASE be a dream! Meanwhile, Ill be in therapy.

Susan M. May 26, 2012 | 9:03 PM

No, she did not make the right choice, just like she did not make the right choice when she got rid of Burke. No one has been able to replace him and, I'm sorry, but Owen and Christina just do not have the same chemistry. There were so many others she could have dumped. Why a character that she could have done so much with. She never really developed Lexie on the show, so maybe that is why, or maybe she wants to bring back Katherine Heigl. Who knows. But Lexie? I think it was dumb. A bad move. The Grey's I knew and loved is fading away.

Allison May 25, 2012 | 7:00 PM

I have to admit the only thing that kept me watching the last couple of years was the Marc/Lexie romance. This season was mediocre but we were tossed a few crumbs of hopefulness. Unfortunately I didn't cry during the death scene as my emotions were clouded by pure disappointment and the overwhelming feeling of being cheated. I have no idea what they could do to entice me into DVRing next season. The fall previews would have to be spectacular.

shmorgs May 24, 2012 | 11:42 AM

Am I seriously the only one that caught they were doing the same procedures at seattle mercy as they were in the plane accident? Killing off lexie was reality her character can only develop so much she told mark she loves him then they would as mark said get married and have kids the end the biggest shocker for me is still back a few seasons when they killed o-malley. Now that death was a serious mistake

Grey's Fan May 24, 2012 | 10:14 AM

KEPNER...should have been killed off! She's HORRIBLE, Lexi was a fave but I admit the show has LOST it's umph. Not sure if I can keep watching...writing has gotten REAL bad.

K L May 22, 2012 | 10:20 AM

So upset. Should have gotten rid of Arizona so Karev could take her position. Teddy leaving could mean a position for Christina & maybe a reconcilation for her & Hunt. Would have loved to see Lexie & Mark develope a relationship. April was fired anyway. What's the point in keeping her? So disappointed.

MalenaNJ May 20, 2012 | 8:03 PM

I am a little --- just like the previous poster who complained the finale was advertised as 2 hours but really was just 1!.. Not only did I seriously give my husband an earful for " not programming the full 2 hours like I asked him to" but then I had to apologize for flipping because it was only an hour ANYWAY??!! WTF Seriously Greys!! Give me a effin break!! UUGGHHH .. needless to say, I will be watching next season lol Im hoping Jackson and Kepner become an item, they are cute together :)

Jenn May 20, 2012 | 2:54 PM

I honestly thought that April Kepner was going to off herself. Afterall, she was so distraught about what she had done to the relationship she had with God/Jesus and then add on failing the boards? I'd thought she'd had a mental snap. Why Lexie...can't stop shaking my head...tragic...

amber May 20, 2012 | 9:40 AM

This finale sucked. Not only did they kill of many people's favorite character, but it was also pretty predictable. The season 6 finale-while sad it was also not predictable. And it brought up so many real emotions. A patient's husband's anger, an entire hospital's fear...it was GREAT. Now she brings a plane crash? how original...NOT. The only surprising this was that Lexie in fact died b/c she was so lovable and great. I agree with a lot of people...I feel like she was one of the only normal ones. And she was somebody a lot of people could relate too. Plus mark and lexie fans have been waiting for so long for them to finally get together. It's like shonda always found something to keep them apart. First, sloan came back, then Callie gets pregnant with his kid, like COME ON. and now she wants us to believe she actually thought Slexie was "meant to be." I honestly think she's been toying with us and the finale speech was just a slap in the face..If she wanted them to be end game all she had to do was come up with a more creative way for Chyler's character to leave if chyler really wanted out. THere are just so many ways this story could've played out that didn't have to end with Slexie fans' hearts breaking all over the world. I, for one, will not be watching. And I don't think I'm not being loyal--ive put up with a lot from this show--I just don't want to watch a show that isn't loyal to its fans. I really hope that her ratings go down next season so she'll realize she can't just do stuff like this!

BigT May 18, 2012 | 9:28 PM

It's only good if they kill off someone that matters. An insignificant character would have been just that - an insignificant death. Having said that, I don't like this choice. They could have done a lot more with Lexie than they did. And enough already with building up everyone leaving the hospital only to have this silly plane crash bring them all together again. What a waste of time this season was if nothing really changes. They just don't know what to do with this show anymore. Time to end it.

Krys May 18, 2012 | 7:02 PM

I think that killing off Lexie was a mistake. I like the angle that one of the viewers posted above that this was just a REALLY bad dream. I think everyone wanted to see Lexie and Mark finally get together. We have been waiting since they broke up...Please Shonda - rethink this decision and give your loyal fans what they want!!

Tania May 18, 2012 | 6:56 PM

Not pleased with Shonda's decision. You don't kill off the family and she did this before when there was a love story in the works with Denny. SHE is the one that won't let us have any happy endings.....I keep watching faithfully every year, but now I don't know what to think.....Little Grey was a keeper.

catherine May 18, 2012 | 6:41 PM

Really??? Are you guys even going to give us an explanation of why the advertised 2 hour season finale was NOT 2 hours? Am I missing the explanation somewhere? You owe your viewers! After all, we are the people who help you make those big, fat, paychecks. Very disappointing.

Please May 18, 2012 | 6:39 PM

Everyone is so sad about Lexie but no one offers the alternative...

sally May 18, 2012 | 6:27 PM

OUTRAGED AND WILL NOT BE WATCHING; FINALLY GOT MARK AND LEXIE ADMITTING FEELINGS AND BAM ITS OVER ;ITS A TV SHOW AND WRITERS SHOULD GIVE PEOPLE SOME OF WHAT THEY WANT!

Chanita May 18, 2012 | 6:21 PM

Very sad... I didn't like it at all... I wish this is just a dream and she will come back next season, something like final destination... well greys anatomy is still one of my favorites series. I love it. I will be watching next season...

lucie May 18, 2012 | 6:17 PM

you know what i would love to see....we've been cheated of lexie and mark. but? i always loved the meredith mark friendship. and now they have both lost someone they loved a lot, but didnt always show. i'd love to see their friendship grow from this. its from sad circumstances. but i the dirty mistresses need to stick together right? :P and i cant believe lexie was gone. she was a great character that added to the show. you had the sister angle, mark, and all of that. the show will not be the same. i guess i will have to see how it goes. sad though, and i would definitely liked to have seen more meredith lexie scenes or at least them having a real good bye. i was annoyed at that but for all those who are just gunna stop watching the show is silly. see where it goes. lexie was a great character. but it was a mutual decision, and im sure shonda has some new things planned. sure it seems a bit predictable at the moment, with derek's had and all that, but still 8 seasons and still going, i cant give up now, its not as good but i still love the show and always will

nicole May 18, 2012 | 6:16 PM

Very very dissappointed. She may have not been my favorite but killing off Lexie was a mistake. She was a good character. And she finally told Mark that she loved him. It was time for them to be together finally. And we didnt even get to see that. I hate the way this episode ended. This is the only finale that has made me mad. I hope next season doesnt suck.

Dorothy May 18, 2012 | 5:58 PM

No we are from Venezuella and dissapointed a lot why Lexie please we want Lexi Back And we wanna to see her with Sloan Very sad and Angry with the death Of Lexie

disappointed! May 18, 2012 | 5:27 PM

Extremely disappointing. I think Shonda is going to lose A LOT of viewers because of Lexie being gone. The uncertainty of Lexie and Mark was what kept many viewers watching. Now that there's no hope for them there's not much to look forward to. Lexie was one of the most likable characters because she was so real. I think it was a huge mistake to get rid of her. The season finale didn't have much of a twist like you would have expected from Shonda. It was quite predictable and extremely disappointing. I am one of the many who will not be watching Grey's next season.