John Legend Blasts
The X Factor Judges

John Legend isn't a fan of Britney Spears and Demi Lovato. The "Ordinary People" singer blasted their new jobs as judges on The X Factor. Do you agree with him?

Oh, no he didn't! Singer John Legend blasted Simon Cowell and The X Factor team for casting Britney Spears and Demi Lovato as judges, saying the pair aren't fit to judge others because they can't sing.

"You know it's interesting. It should be very interesting. I don't have much to say," the Duets judge told E! News at the ABC upfront presentations this week. "It's interesting when people, you know, are judging singing competitions when they aren't really singers."

Ouch! Spears might be known for her dance moves, but Lovato has a set of pipes on her. Legend's co-star on the show, Robin Thicke, stuck up for the two pop princesses.

"Oh, come on, everything Britney does, she excels at," Thicke said. "Demi is a lovely young lady, and I'm sure they'll do nothing but make the show a lot more fun to watch."

Kelly Clarkson — the only one of the group with actual singing competition experience — agreed with Thicke, saying they're what the show needs to make up for the first snoozefest of a season.

"Obviously they are both performers so... I think that show really needs it I don't think everybody latched onto that show like they thought they would," she said.

"I'm excited for both of them. I'm a big fan of both of them. Both of those girls are super sweet," she added. "I think it's fun for them too to just be more out in the public eye again. I think those two are two you really want to root for and you really want them to succeed, so I think that's exciting."

Image courtesy Judy Eddy/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "John Legend thinks Britney Spears and Demi Lovato suck"

Derick March 17, 2014 | 11:42 AM

Wow this happened awhile back. I never did watch the show anyway and it would not have made a difference whoever they cast, because i don't like any of those talent shows. John Legend was right in what he said. He wasn't going out of his way to be mean, but what he said is true. I don't know who Demi is, but I know Britney Spears is not fit to judge any type of singing or musical competition. It don';t matter if you like or or dislike her. That is just the truth plain and simple.

@ricardo August 14, 2013 | 7:54 PM

part 2: you accuse him of given an unfavorable opinion of an artist just to get his name in the press. You are an example of why the entertainment industry and music sucks now....too many overly sensitive ppl who get offended when someone says something negative/critical about their favorite artist. no one can take criticism or make critical thinking intelligent arguements anymore. If you say something bad about an artist: "youz a hater!" If the unpopular opinion comes from an artist who isn't a mega popstar, somehow their lack of popularity invalidates their criticism. All i got left to say to is: grow a pair, do something to simulate your brain cells so you can think better and get better taste in music cause john is right, they can't sing...and their music is pure garbage!

@ricardo August 14, 2013 | 7:41 PM

you know you are butthurt when you try to pretend that an obviously successful artist has no fans just because they aren't a generic mega pop star with a huge fanbase full of teen girls, and accuses that said artist when they give their honest opinion/answer about an artist you like..and the answer/opinion they give is the one you dont like XD

response to ppl who suck at making good arguements August 14, 2013 | 7:27 PM

@Marie its not hating, hes just giving his true honest opinion. only a butthurt fangirl will say john is being a hater. @Geri "john who?" really?? you probably said that cause you couldn't come up with an ORIGINAL legitimate response to john haha @Richard spoken like a true butthurt brainwashed drone and is probably no older than 16 :)

Corey December 19, 2012 | 8:37 PM

I'll agree that Britney shouldn't be on the show, 1. She cant sing live, 2. All she likes to do is Bash the other groups performances. Demi on the other hand can sing, now to have her as a judge she has done ok and could get better. Its a better choice then paula the drunk. Personally all fo them have had there bad moments but to be truthful they should have actual producers judge and mentor because they will be the real ones working with these people. Simon doesn't do ---- for anyone he has found.

george November 07, 2012 | 9:05 PM

Who cares what he has to say?

Lex October 31, 2012 | 4:25 PM

I agree with John Legend, it's a joke to have someone who uses auto tune and lip-syncs as a judge. I completely agree that once upon a time Britney Spears was a phenomenal performer. That is not the Britney Spears of today, if you have been paying attention the last few years. I realize it's difficult to let go of "Old Britney" but she's not the teeny bopper with great moves anymore. She's gotten lazy both in her records and "performances". I have been watching the show and she lacks substance with her critiques. I'm sorry, but she's in no position to judge other singers. Simon Cowell says she's got great instincts, let's not kid ourselves, we all know she has a team of people making her career decisions for her, she simply adds her name to it. It is however a brilliant move on the producers part to cast her for her popularity, but I think it makes the whole competition a big fat JOKE.

mallory September 28, 2012 | 5:40 AM

I agree with John. We have watched the shows so far. The big mistake was hiring britney. She has nothing valuable to say...3 words in a sentence is about all she can put together - she is useless in this role. I think with time and some experience Demi will improve and should prove to be a good judge. She is very young. I was hoping for someone with more experience. Her hairstylist needs to kick it up a notch...too many colours and weird styles...

Mike September 10, 2012 | 11:59 PM

John is right, Britney and Demi are not good singers. Britney is just a good "performer" and puts on interesting shows, and Demi is an off-key singer that needs pitch correction and auto-tune to make her music sound good (check out her live performances if you don't believe me.) However, this show is not about each judges talents, but ratings. Britney is HUGELY popular and well-known, and Demi has captured the next generation of Disney kids. John Legend is easily a much better singer and musician than both but doesn't have the fan base to bring in viewers so he would never be cast as a judge for this show. Higher ratings equals more ad revenue; money is ALWAYS the main factor.

Ricardo May 22, 2012 | 2:05 PM

Well you know you're on top when you have haters. John Legend is practically a nobody. He's just trying to get his name in the press by talking trash about stars that are actually relevant.

Aaliyah May 21, 2012 | 10:44 AM

I think Legend makes a good point. If, and I might be reaching here, if The X Factor is supposed to find real talent and give those people the opportunity to break into the music biz, don't you want someone on the panel who knows what they're doing? Don't get me wrong, I have been a Britney-aholic since she was a little school-girl in the Mickey Mouse club, but lets be real, a lot of her music isn't written by her and she has had a few embarrassing lip-synching malfunctions. If I'm a contestant looking to make it big on a TV talent show, that's not really the person I'd want deciding if I have talent or not. No disrespect though Brit, still your #1 fan over here. And Lovato is how old? Nineteen? That’s not someone I think even knows herself yet, never mind would be able to judge someone else’s level of talent. I’m in the same boat as Legend with this one though; I’ve never even heard Lovato’s voice, so I suppose I don’t know how talented she is. But this definitely seems like a move to boost ratings, not do much for the content of the show.

Christina May 19, 2012 | 9:31 PM

It's pretty obvious that X Factor is going for style over substance here. It would be nice if the judges had some genuine talent, rather than just being who everybody talks about. But then, who needs respect? It's all about ratings! Which, after the first week, will probably suck. A lot.

Tammy May 19, 2012 | 7:18 PM

John is right Britney has NO talent at all and Demi is just an ok singer. But I also believe it was rude of him to say that in public.

Geri May 19, 2012 | 4:48 PM

John who?

Jenn May 19, 2012 | 4:37 PM

I agree with John. What is Britney gonna judge the lip syncing part of the show. And Demi is all of 19 what experience does she have in judging others singing. Simon will be looking for two more judges next season

marie May 19, 2012 | 1:46 PM

I think john legend needs to stop hating just because simon cowell did not ask him to be a judge i think britney and demi are going to be good judges.