Vaughn's Rockford Reveal

The Rockford Files has found its new ace detective. Vince Vaughn has landed the lead role in the big screen remake of the defunct TV series. The actor will take over the role originally and famously played by James Garner.

Vince VaughnUniversal Pictures is producing another remake and this time it's for an old TV show. The studio is bringing the former NBC drama The Rockford Files to the big screen.

Retro TV shows: Memories of the '60s and '70s >>

The series originally ran from 1974-1980 and starred James Garner as Jim Rockford.

Is Hollywood creativity really dead? >>

According to Deadline, Vince Vaughn will headline the film version, which will center on the down and out private investigator.

On the original series, Jim had a shady past, which consisted of a short stint in prison. During the days where good-looking and fashion savvy detectives ruled the airwaves, Jim was slightly rough around the edges.

Hot trailer: Stiller and Vaughn in Neighborhood Watch >>

He lived in a trailer, dressed sloppy and used his gift of gab to get information. Two years ago, NBC tried their hand at a TV reboot starring Dermot Mulroney but decided to scrap the idea after testing it with audiences. Since it won't work on TV (again), they're trying their hand at film.

James Garner talks pot smoking, punching his stepmother >>

The series was created by Stephen J. Cannell and Roy Huggins and was a commercial and critical success. It earned Garner a Primetime Emmy for best lead actor, while Stuart Margolin and Rita Moreno scored wins in the best supporting and guest star categories.

Before tackling Garner's famous role, Vaughn will appear in the upcoming comedy, Neighborhood Watch (July 27). The film co-stars frequent collaborator Ben Stiller and Oscar-nominee Jonah Hill.

Can Vince Vaughn fill James Garner's shoes?

Photo credit: Nikki Nelson / WENN

Comments

Comments on "Rockford Files remake: Vince Vaughn's on the case!"

Loudon August 09, 2013 | 10:35 AM

My problem isn't with Vince Vaughn. It's with the fact they'll probably try to make this a pure comedy. Rockford was a crime drama -- with lots of excellent humor and sharp wit -- but not a comedy. And when I say comedy, I mean stupid because for some reason Hollywood thinks stupid is funny. Rockford was always smart and charming -- never stupid.

Jan July 31, 2012 | 1:11 PM

What about Will Smith playing James West on Wild Wild West? That was like having a Chinese guy play "Shaft" ! NOBODY can replace James Garner! Forget about it!

Michael June 19, 2012 | 1:18 PM

This can't be done- James Garner portrayed Jim Rockford so perfectly and Tom Selleck, who guest-starred on The Rockford Files, before he starred in the title role of Magnum, P.I., made it very clear to NBC, James Garner is Jim Rockford and no one else can succeed him in that role. Sorry, Vince Vaughn, it won't work and Universal needs to drop the idea, too. Tom made it clear, The Rockford Files cannot under any circumstances, be remade with anyone other than James Garner, and at the same time, who's going to be producer? Yes, Universal owns Rockford, but the late great Stephen J. Cannell co-created, so without Cannell's input, a remake is going nowhere.

Larry May 30, 2012 | 8:07 PM

I can fondly remember watching "The Rockford Files" every Friday night without fail. As fans we just have to remember that as long as we have DVD sets we can have our Rockford anytime we want. I think it would be hard to find any actor that could deliver a line with the finesse that James Garner can. That said, I think if ever there was an actor out there that could pull off the hero/anti-hero it is Vince Vaughn. As long as the casting and writing is good Vince can do it. Albeit he has some big shoes to fill with this one. I say knock it out of the park Vince. In the meantime I will anxiously waiting for the first night I can get my ticket.

Bruce April 19, 2012 | 10:58 PM

As a self proclaimed Rockford "Super Fan" I would give my blessing to the casting decision. It's easy to say leave well enough alone but then the character of "Jim Rockford" fades away. Vaughn is a big dude with a quick wit, I say give him a chance!

norcal April 19, 2012 | 9:48 PM

i think i just threw up a lil... another show about to be ruined! :/

Simon Nite April 19, 2012 | 8:55 PM

Vince Vaughn casted to play Jimbo Rockford ...... nahhhhhhh NO Wayyyy James Garner embodied the character which fit him a glove plus the great supportiing cast. I watched The Rockford Files every Friday at 9 p.m. on NBC and never missed an episode. Also, I have the entire show on DVD box set. Tell you what let Vince Vaughn hitch a ride on the hub cap of Jimbo's Firebird.

Patty April 19, 2012 | 8:04 PM

I think the people speak-LEAVE ROCKFORD ALONE. Is is James Garner alone who should remain Jim Rockford forever. Just as they talked about a Magnum remake, please leave well enough alone. James Garner and Tom Selleck, leave their legacies alone.

jael April 19, 2012 | 7:25 PM

Vince Vaughn as Rockford -- HORRIBLE!!!! YES, AN ABSOLUTE TRAVESTY! Hollywood should leave ROCKFORD alone because all that its producers and writers know how to do anymore is ruin good ideas. The original Rockford worked because of James Garner and the actors gathered around him who interacted well with him. James Garner and the recurring-roles actors and actresses made it work. Vince Vaughn? Barf!!!

Pokerjoe April 19, 2012 | 7:00 PM

I think the networks should dump the reality shows and put back on 70s shows. NBC could put The Rockford Files on as reruns. I bet it would stick.

JJF April 19, 2012 | 6:59 PM

It's official, folks! Imagination and innovation is DEAD in H'wood!! If it wasn't for remakes the movie industry would collapse!

Kevin April 19, 2012 | 6:33 PM

There will only be one James Garner and one Rockford files Dont even try

Prodad April 19, 2012 | 5:59 PM

You have to be kidding , The Rockford File was a true classic and can not be remade with half witt actors like these. Give me a break.

larry April 19, 2012 | 3:37 PM

The Rockford Files was a unique series not just because of Garner's caracterization but also because of the supporting cast. Noah Beery Jr as his dad was terrific and Joe Santos as the exasperated cop were terrific in their own right. Vaughn doesn't really seem a fit but his supporting caracters will go a long way in helping him make this a hit or a miss!

Ralph April 19, 2012 | 3:18 PM

Worse yet, who could possibly play Angel?

Steve April 19, 2012 | 1:09 PM

Well, if Tom Cruise can play 6'5" 250 lb Jack Reacher..I guess VV can play Rockford..maybe they'll get Jim Garner to play Rocky..and of course Jennifer Aniston will play Beth Davenport....and Cheech Marin will play Dennis Becker..wonder who'll they get to play the trailer??

PAC April 19, 2012 | 12:14 PM

No one can replaced James Garner! Don,t waste your time and momey.

Hamilton Chandler April 19, 2012 | 9:29 AM

On the plus side maybe it will inspire a whole new audience to watch the original Rockford Files and come to appreciate this classic show. It possibly could generate some income for Mr. Garner if this increases sales of the series DVD's. On the negative side...Vince Vaughn and his gibberish style?

Debbie Maulding April 19, 2012 | 8:39 AM

Hollywood will you ever learn? I don't think you will. Vince Vaugn?? you must be kidding. This guy has never impressed me. He can't talk or walk and as for acting? Please! Vince you need to forget about it. For Mr James Garner sir I apologize to you now. This is an affront,an insult to you and if I were you I'd think about suing.

Get Real April 19, 2012 | 12:56 AM

When I saw they were planning a remake I thought, Oh no, they are going to ruin another one of the classic shows from the old days like they did with Starksy and Hutch. Then I saw they were casting it with Vince Vaughn and almost threw up. I didn't think they could do anything worse than Starsky and Hutch, but I was wrong, TOTALLY WRONG they can and are! If they want him for a remake of somthing why don't they cast him in a remake of Mr. Ed, either the owner or the horse would be fine.