Amandla Stenberg Addresses THG Haters

Amandla Stenberg, currently on a rocket to fame thanks to her role as Rue in The Hunger Games, is holding her young head high amidst a controversy about race.

Amandla Stenberg

Amandla Stenberg has spoken out to address racist comments that have appeared on Twitter in response to her role as Rue in The Hunger Games. The young star has been attacked for her skin color despite author Suzanne Collins describing the character as "having dark brown skin and eyes" in her hit novel.

One such racist Hunger Games tweet stated, "Why does rue have to be black not gonna lie kinda ruined the movie."

Another tweeted, "Why did the producer make all the good characters black?"

The Hunger Games scorches at the box office >>

In response to the controversy, 13-year-old Amandla Stenberg told Us Weekly in a statement, "As a fan of the books, I feel fortunate to be part of The Hunger Games family."

"It was an amazing experience; I am proud of the film and my performance," the actress went on to say. "I want to thank all of my fans and the entire Hunger Games community for their support and loyalty."

Racist HG fans attack Lenny Kravitz and Amandla Stenberg >>

Veteran actor and musician Lenny Kravitz, who took on the role of stylist Cinna, has also been mentioned in the controversy, though Suzanne Collins did not describe the character's race in The Hunger Games book.

A rep for Dayo Okeniyi, who took on the role of District 11's Thresh, said the Nigerian actor had no comment on the The Hunger Games controversy over race.

Despite the hateful tweets sent by a few, many more fans are speaking out in support of the actors. One such Twitter user commented Wednesday, "You are a racist & should be ashamed if you have a problem with the casting of Rue in The Hunger Games."

How do you think young Amandla Stenberg did responding to the hate tweets?

Image via WENN

Tags: amandla stenberg

Comments

Comments on "The Hunger Games racism: Rue responds"

Gypsy-Maria December 22, 2013 | 8:55 PM

Amandla was perfect as Rue. She was exactly how I imagined her from the books-- because yeah, I actually payed attention to the character descriptions. :P She was sweet and clever and everything Rue was supposed to be, and I cried like a baby at her death scene. It was so nice to see her in Sleepy Hollow as Orlando Jones' daughter. What a talent! Lenny as Cinna was also phenomenal-- not many men can pull off gold eyeliner and look that flippin' amazing, but Lenny was perfection. Dayo did a great job as Thresh, too-- for as brief a speaking part as he had, he nailed the character's intensity and I was seriously bummed when he died even though I saw it coming. People-- especially white people-- just need to get over this racist crap. And I say this as a white person. Hating on kids, no matter their color or anything else, is pretty low.

Quin Harp September 18, 2013 | 9:50 PM

You know that part in the book where Rue was described as dark "skinned?" I didn't, so when the movie came out, so I was like Huh, that's odd. Let me go see if I missed her description....oh, okay. My picture of Rue is a lie." I did not attack the actress. She did an amazing job playing the character, and my only complaint is that they didn't go deeper into the relationship between Katniss and Rue. People are different colors than you. Get used to it.

Anon July 15, 2013 | 5:52 AM

I love Amandla Stenberg as Rue. It made the movie perfect! And all the haters are gonna hate, but keep your head high girl, you are amazing

jumpjack July 07, 2013 | 5:54 AM

As Michael Moore taught everybody in Farenheit 9/11, USA is a Nation based on terror for the other and fear of the other (in one word: racism). It's even accepted and encouraged by the 1st emendement of American Constitution. If sometimes you don't see it, it's just because it's like embers under the ashes. You don't see, but it's there, and it'll burn you if you try removing the ash.

Yuri March 21, 2013 | 2:53 PM

WOW soo many racists!! how can anyone hate the adorable little rue, it makes me sad that racism is still alive in 2013, being in NA the most diverse country and yet the most racist, what are the schools and parents teaching their kids? When i saw the movie, i thought the actress who played rue was so adorable and lovable! YOU RACIST ALL NEED TO GROW UP, YOUR HATE IS NOT HELPING ANYONE.

Jeweled January 08, 2013 | 10:52 AM

This is horrible. That girl should ignore everything them people say. She is an amazing actress and people should never judge somebodys talent by their race. Eddie Murphy, Will smith and Whoopie Goldburg are all black aren't they! They are really sucessful! So Amandla should keep in her mind that she is Amazing.

Polene January 07, 2013 | 6:11 AM

I'am 15 years old girl, Filipino, i was so confused why does other white people criticized the black people., it sucks., you are so RACIST.., RUE, CINNA and THRESH did it very good in the movie., they are awesome actors/actress, RACIST people are just insecure of them, I was so disappointed when i saw the tweets of other people criticizing rue, cinna and thresh., I HATE IT., why are you judging like that., It doesn't matter in their skins, what matter most is that they really act well in the movie., >:(

Cynasia November 11, 2012 | 7:05 PM

I liked Rues character it made the movie more interesting because she was shadowing Katniss and she was sweet because she took care of her when she had got stung Im about to be 13 on Tuesday, November 13 . I love Rue and thats my role Model and yes she is sneaky, I laughed when she took the boys knife and cried when the spear went into her chest and it seemed Like I knew the song that Katniss sung to her as she died,! After the movie I kept singing. The song,! Lol I love Rue

Manon September 11, 2012 | 6:13 PM

I thought she was the perfect actress to play Rue. Even though I saw the movie before reading the book, color didn't make a difference. Personally I thought it was better the way it was.

andie July 31, 2012 | 11:57 PM

wow people are just stupid IF you read the books and actually PAID ATTENTION the author does describe Rue as dark skinned. when i heard about casting the first time i was like what? but when i went back and reread the books it does say that. i don't know why people make it such a big deal the actress did a wonderful job and when she died (in the book and the movie) i totally snot cried! i don't know why people have to be so stupid

Camille April 14, 2012 | 12:01 AM

Amandla Stenberg is awesome. She is an amazing actress and really strong as a person. All along, as I read the books, she was EXACTLY how I pictured Rue. I saw the movie and thought she played the part really well. All the racist people should try and play Rue the way Amandla did, and I bet they couldn't do it half as well as she.

Jake April 12, 2012 | 11:37 AM

She's a brilliant actress. There will always be ignorant, terrible racist people. Just ignore them. Racism will die out(: RUE KICKED ASS IN THAT MOVIE! :D

RYH April 02, 2012 | 11:02 PM

I am a 40 year old black female, and I have to say that when I saw the movie I was pleased; it was a very entertaining movie as well as exciting. The one thing I did notice, because I had read some of the tweets before I saw the movie, was that race did not effect the movie at all. All the characters seemed to fit together naturally. Everything seemed as it should be. I thought all the characters were great, and I thought little precious Rue was just beautiful. Her acting was beautiful and she looked beautiful. What is this world coming to when we are attacking kids; especially attacking something they have no control over, the color of their skin. Anyhow much support to the movie and the cast. One last thing, Lenny is awesome in whatever he does. I can see why some would hate on him. He's not a child and he is not as cute as Rue. So for him I am not that outraged, he's got broad shoulders. He also has a lot to hate on: talented, handsome, and smart, so I can see haters coming out to hate. He was wonderful in the movie.

Heather March 29, 2012 | 9:45 AM

What a great response! So glad she didn't lower herself to their level! What a strong girl, to keep her head held high in the midst of all that crap. It was clearly stated in the book that Rue had dark skin, dark hair, dark eyes. I pictured her as a dark skinned girl with curly black hair. Haven't seen the movie yet, but after this, I'll definitely go see it.