Kirk Cameron Changes His Show Tune

Kirk Cameron says he loves everyone -- even the gays. But just because he thinks they shouldn't be bullied doesn't mean he thinks they should be able to get married.

Kirk CameronKirk Cameron is shocked -- shocked he says! -- over the firestorm of controversy his anti-gay comments created. Even more shocking is that he now says he doesn't hate gays after all, in his own self-serving, roundabout way.

In an interview on The Today Show, the former Growing Pains actor said we shouldn't be surprised that he feels the way he does considering his hardcore religious beliefs -- but despite how it sounded, he doesn't have an ounce of hate in him for anyone.

Tracey Gold has NOH8 for Kirk Cameron >>

"I was surprised, frankly, that people were surprised by the things that I've said," he said. "I have been consistent for 15 years as a Christian. I'm a Bible-believing Christian. What I would have thought was more newsworthy is if I had said something that contradicted the word of God, if I had contradicted my faith."

"I love all people, I hate no one," Cameron claimed. "When you take a subject and reduce it to something like a four-second sound bite and a check mark on a ballot, I think that that's inappropriate and insensitive… To edit it down to that, it certainly didn't reflect my full heart on the matter."

Piers Morgan is no longer Team Kirk Cameron >>

"Nobody should mistreat anybody," he continued. "We all have our convictions formed by different things and mine are informed by my faith. They're formed by the word of God, and I found that to be an anchor for me, a compass and a guide for me. When people start bullying one another and calling each other names for those different convictions, then I think you get into problems."

Watch Kirk Cameron on The Today Show:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Tell us: Is Kirk Cameron hiding his hate behind religion?

Image courtesy WENN

Tags: growing pains

Comments

Comments on "Kirk Cameron loves gay people all of a sudden"

JohnCougar'sMelonCamp March 21, 2012 | 8:55 AM

Yawn!!!WTF cares about what Kirk Cameron says?? Problem with Fundamentalist/Evangelical Protestants is they love to exploit their Persecution Complex whenever they say something about a minority group then cry"FOUL!!"whenever the offended bite back!! Yes,Kirk has his right to the First Amendment just as GLAAD does,but quite personally,I wish both sides would quit whining"VICTIM!!"and quit getting so personally offended about everything!! "Do you have any idea how unhappy I was before I met you? I was thinking of leaving my wife."-Roger Sterling(John Slattery):"Mad Men".

Quinn March 21, 2012 | 4:42 AM

Kirk says he's a "Bible-believing Christian." My question: Where does he hide his slaves?!?

Dave March 20, 2012 | 10:53 PM

In response to Ella... I understand where you are coming from and what you are trying to say. But comments like you made are what people get confused with. It sounds as if you are talking about s and christians like they are two separate groups, when you say "insist on portraying us as people who hate s." There are christians you know. And they are no more sinners than you or I. The bible says a lot of things are wrong. Things I am sure you yourself do. it also says mentions drunks in the one of the same passages about homouality. However we don't have such debates on drunks going to burn. I am not saying you are a bigot, I agree with what you are saying. It is the way these messages are put across that is the problem. How many people are going to worship a God that they have been told hates them and doesn't want them in heaven. Comments like Kirk's, while aren't meant to be hurtful, can turn people away from God. Thats not the correct way to preach the word of God. I do think he was baited by pearce though because he wasn't there to talk about that. Just remember another thing the bible says. Those who judge without mercy shall receive judgement without mercy.

Chris Vogel March 20, 2012 | 3:59 PM

Being religious doesn't disqualify you from being a bigot or your beliefs being irrational, malicious, ignorant hatred. Conservative Christians, over the centuries, demonised and massacred millions of Jews and homouals and everybody else who believed differently. It may be that all religion is not bigotry, but Cameron's certainly is, and it is despicable. And, obviously, his claim that his comments were somehow distorted, is a lie.

Pamala March 20, 2012 | 1:26 PM

Elle, I agree and could not have said it any better. I think Kirk handled the questions well and I was proud to hear him answer them as he did. Bravo, Kirk!

Ella March 20, 2012 | 12:01 PM

How is he hiding his hate behind his religion? I'm a Christian too, and it's true. I don't hate s at all, I just don't agree with their lifestyle. Good grief, why do people insist on portraying us as people who hate s.? Why can't we disagree with their lifestyle? Why do you insist we hate them? It's part of our faith. The Bible says homouality is wrong. We're not killing anyone. (At least a true believer wouldn't. There are people who have done horrible things in the name of Jesus, but that doesn't mean they actually followed Jesus. Hitler called himself a Christian and I'm pretty sure we can all agree he wasn't) It's simply a part of our faith, and are we not allowed our faith? I was under the impression the United States was still entitled to freedom of speech and religion. In fact, our forefathers WERE believers in God. This country was founded on faith. The pilgrims came here so that they could practice their faith in freedom. Why is that now snatched away, as we are mocked for our beliefs?