The 2012 Academy Awards are just a few hours away. Who will take home the golden statues in the big categories? We won't know for sure until Sunday, but we have some ideas. Read on for our predictions.
It's the question on every movie fan's mind this weekend: Who will take home the gold at this weekend's Academy Awards ceremony? The 84th edition of Hollywood's biggest night will happen on Sunday night, and all of our favorite celebrities are set to grace us with their presence.
Sadly, we don't have the inside scoop on the winners, but we do have some ideas on who will take home the prize. Follow along with us on Sunday night and see how our predictions fare.
Best Actor in a Leading Role
- Demian Bichir, A Better Life
- George Clooney, The Descendants
- Jean Dujardin, The Artist
- Brad Pitt, Moneyball
- Gary Oldman, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
The best actor category has some pretty formidable competition, with Jean Dujardin and George Clooney neck and neck for the award. We want to say that our boyfriend (Clooney) will win his second Oscar, but the Academy likes to honor the underdogs, making Dujardin the natural choice.
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
- Kenneth Branagh, My Week with Marilyn
- Nick Nolte, Warrior
- Christopher Plummer, Beginners
- Max von Sydow, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
- Jonah Hill, Moneyball
This is probably the most difficult category to predict. We're sort of hoping Jonah Hill will pull out the win for Moneyball, but the award is likely to go to Christopher Plummer for Beginners.
Best Actress in a Leading Role
- Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
- Viola Davis, The Help
- Rooney Mara, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
- Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
- Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn
The best actress in a leading role category has some strong competitors, with Viola Davis, Meryl Streep and Michelle Williams all vying for the prize. We love both Streep and Williams, but Davis will take home the best actress nod for her role in The Help.
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
- Bérénice Bejo, The Artist
- Jessica Chastain, The Help
- Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
- Octavia Spencer, The Help
- Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs
The best actress in a supporting role award will go to Octavia Spencer for her role as Minny Jackson in The Help. We can't wait to see her snag the prize, saggy cleavage and all.
- Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
- Alexander Payne, The Descendants
- Martin Scorsese, Hugo
- Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
- Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life
The best director category is a toss-up between Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist and Alexander Payne for The Descendants. This writer hopes the fellow Nebraska-born director (Payne) takes home the prize, but Hazanavicius will get it.
- The Artist
- The Descendants
- The Help
- Midnight in Paris
- War Horse
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
- The Tree of Life
The best picture category is filled with incredible movies this year. It's all about The Artist though, so we expect the homage to silent films of the past to take home the award for best picture.
Who do you think will win this weekend at the Oscars?
Images courtesy WENN.com and Splash News