Performance Leaves Fans Perplexed

Rap star Nicki Minaj is making headlines after delivering a spooky performance of her latest song, "Roman Holiday," at the 2012 Grammy Awards. Minaj hit the Grammy stage for a live number that included a faux pope and an apparent exorcism.

Lady Gaga has infuriated the Catholic Church and died on stage since bursting onto the pop scene in 2008. So for her performance at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards, Nicki Minaj decided to up the ante by doing both at the same time!

Take that, Mother Monster!

The First Lady of Young Money is the talk of the blogosphere the morning after the prize-giving, after a chilling performance of her new single "Roman Holiday," which came complete with an on-stage exorcism, religious imagery and even a Pope impersonator.

The hip-hop star arrived at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles draped head-to-toe in a scarlet Versace creation designed especially for her. And if anyone doubted what she was supposed to be dressed up as, the Pope Benedict lookalike who walked the red carpet with her offered an additional clue.

The "Super Bass" singer kicked off her Grammys appearance with a performance she labeled "The Exorcism of Roman." Minaj's show began in a confessional, with the hip-hopster singing excerpts from her hit single "Roman's Revenge" and West Side Story's "I Feel Pretty" to a priest.

BET doesn't want anything to do with Nicki Minaj's new video >>

The performance then transitioned into a pre-recorded video, in which the femcee -- in character as her alter ego Roman Zolanski -- was visited by another priest, who came to perform an exorcism. The video then switched back to the live performance, which featured Minaj chained to a slab for a grisly demise.

Minaj -- who lost the Best New Artist prize to Bon Iver -- was suspended in the air at one point during her eclectic performance.

Minaj released her debut album, Pink Friday, in November 2010. Her second studio album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded -- featuring the lead single "Roman Holiday" -- drops on April 3.

Keep your ears open for Ryan Seacrest's world premiere of Minaj's new single, "Starships." The song will impact iTunes immediately thereafter.

Thoughts on Nicki's Grammys showing?

Photo credit: WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Nicki Minaj courts ire of Catholics with Grammys exorcism"

L.ohio February 15, 2012 | 7:22 AM

I'm catholic as one if I let something stupid upset me my wouldbein termoil. People to go forth and add kids to my family. I don't do that every twevle months ya nuts. Songs l like that are a part of life plus it falls under her right to write whatever she wants we all have right to speak our minds no matter how they are exppressed.

luvmyfaith February 14, 2012 | 9:03 PM

Simply disgusting, blasphemous, obscene, and beyond what any decent person should enjoy. There are some things in life that are literally sacred and to profane the Catholic Church in this way calls for outrage at every level.

PAM February 14, 2012 | 5:31 AM

I GUESS THE JESUS IS ABOUT TO UNLEASH HIS ANGER... NICKI U SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!!!

meshadayz February 14, 2012 | 2:18 AM

omg. this sucked wat a waste of money it truely shows that she has some mental demonic issues. and its funny how she look like lil kim with the heavy make-up and lace front wig.

Tim February 13, 2012 | 7:40 PM

The fact is that Minaj has a form of talent (that word is used VERY loosely) that attracts attention from a wide array of listeners. It's very new and different from everything else on the radio. Bam. She has all she needs. So why did she have to disrespect God, the church, or Christians?

jane February 13, 2012 | 6:46 PM

Nicki needs to careful what is playing with. It is shameful that this was allowed to be viewed on tv. I am ashame of the Grammys and Nicki. The WORST performance EVER!!!

M. Pez February 13, 2012 | 6:22 PM

Yes Jim, I agree with u totally n everyonelse on here just as outraged as I am. It just goes 2 show u how much hollywood glorifies satan. I was so shocked, never in the history of tv has their been such a disgraceful performance at the grammys ??? Like I don't agree with this buuut if she made or makes a vid like that, whatever but did she really have 2 bring that 2 live tv ?! I'm just appalled at the whole situation and everyone who's ok with it !! Now u know 4 sure the days 2 come shouldn't be takin lightly n this marks the beginnin of some hellish events 2 come.. May God bless & keep His children !!

Nellie Loughton February 13, 2012 | 5:49 PM

Why is it okay for perormers to attack Catholics on international television? Freedom of expression is one thing. Absolute disrespect and degradation of the Catholic or any faith is totally unacceptable. I haven't watched the garmmy's in years and if this is what passes for the best in music, I won't be watching anytime soon again.

Jim February 13, 2012 | 5:45 PM

Selling her soul to satan and his workers the Illuminati, it look like her initiation perforamce. Illuminati and 666 symbolism.

Keyani February 13, 2012 | 3:35 PM

I didn't find it personally offensive but I thought it was a terrible performance.

That was nothing February 13, 2012 | 3:30 PM

the hell? that wasn't bad at all, people making a fuss again

Chloe February 13, 2012 | 9:38 AM

I watched my favorite awards show with my 3 daughters last night. My youngest was pretty excited to watch Nicki Minaj but since Minaj came on late, my daughter agreed to tape the act and went to bed instead. Thank God she did. I was never so offended by an musical act on the Grammys. Nicki Minaj is a disgusting performer who shows no respect for anyone or herself. Shame on her and the Grammys for providing such a tasteless performance.

Andrew February 13, 2012 | 8:33 AM

The worst performance ever and she shouldn't be PROUD of this at all. Shame on Grammy. p/s Thank God she did not tribute this performance to Whitney Houston.

Neil February 13, 2012 | 7:30 AM

That was arguably the worst 'performance' I've ever seen in my life. Minaj can't sing, can't dance, and doesn't have a lick of talent in her entire body. I would rather have seen Country Music. It's a shame that the Grammys have to stoop that low to get viewers. I personally will never watch again. Oh- and anyone who buys her crap (Or Kanyes) is a straight SUCKER.