Whitney Houston Dead In Bathtub

Whitney Houston was reportedly found dead in a bathtub with pill bottles scattered nearby. Did drugs kill this music legend?

Whitney Houston's body is removed from the Beverly Hilton Hotel

New details are coming to light in the death of Whitney Houston -- and if true, this tragedy was 100 percent preventable.

Houston was found dead at the Beverly Hilton hotel yesterday and a law enforcement source told RadarOnline the singer had "a plethora of sedatives including Lorazepam, Valium, Xanax and a sleeping medication that was found in her hotel room."

Other sources told TMZ that the singer was found underwater in the bathtub.

Bobby Brown devastated over Whitney Houston death >>

Houston was seen drinking heavily at the hotel bar with friends the night before her death, and mixing alcohol with Xanax could have sedated her, either causing her death directly from acute drug intoxication or causing her to fall unconscious and slip underwater, drowning.

The singer was reportedly found by her hairdresser. Her bodyguard pulled her out of the water and attempted CPR until paramedics arrived, but it was already too late. Houston was pronounced dead at 3:55 PM; her body was removed from the Beverly Hilton around midnight.

Clive Davis mourns Whitney Houston at Grammy party >>

An autopsy is scheduled for today, but toxicology results could take weeks to come back. Until then, an official cause of death will be deferred, although it would be obvious if Houston drowned.

What is clear is that her death was not a deliberate suicide and there doesn't seem to be any foul play involved. "There were no obvious signs of criminal intent," the Beverly Hills Police said in a statement.

Image courtesy WENN

Photos: Remembering Whitney Houston

Read on for more Whitney Houston

Whitney Houston and other shocking celebrity deaths
Whitney Houston dead at 48: Celebrities react
Whitney Houston's greatest hits: Video roundup
A tribute to Whitney Houston: Photo gallery

Comments

Comments on "Whitney Houston cause of death: Xanax and drowning?"

Tebogo February 21, 2012 | 7:36 AM

We thank God for the blessing whitney Houston! We will always miss & love her. May the grace of our Lord jesus christ, The love of God and the sweet fellowship of the Holy spirit be with the family amen.

bernie February 14, 2012 | 7:37 PM

I really believe this was avoidable, no one checked on her the way they should have. By the time everyone noticed, it was to late. The world has lost the greatest singer of all times. No one has stepped up to the plate as yet. Most of them are just performers on stage . Whitney was all music.She will be missed for her music. I was really looking for her come back.

Jana February 14, 2012 | 1:41 PM

Go Rest High On The Mountain Beautiful Soul~ We have lost another amazing singer/actress far too soon. God Be With Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the Houston family.....I Will Always Love You~

Jana February 14, 2012 | 1:38 PM

You do not realize how much one person impacts your life whether you know them personally or not. I have cried many times over the loss of such an amazing singer/actress. She will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family especially her daughter. Dear God! Give her strength to carry on~ I Will Always Love You Ms. Whitney E Houston!

Dee February 13, 2012 | 11:33 AM

An accident???? Wow how preventable!! How does someone with so many people around them that love them not get help??? I just dont understand. First Mike then Whitney..... People step up!!! Such a great loss...........................

Andrew February 13, 2012 | 11:03 AM

We will always love you Whitney. RIP.

PBlak February 13, 2012 | 10:55 AM

There really needs to be some controls in place when these so called doctors are prescribing seditive medications. All of those meds did not have to be taken by one individual. What in the world is going on here. Money...the ultimate root in all this evil. The world will miss Whitney very deeply and I pray that your loved ones will heal and go forward.I am really concerned about Whitney's daughter. Please God give her strength and guidance in this delicate time. Bobbi Kristina we are praying for you dear heart.

Lianne February 13, 2012 | 8:10 AM

So sad! The use of prescription drugs needs to be controlled. How does the system all for one person to have that many prescriptions?!

christy,myrtlebeach,s.c February 13, 2012 | 8:07 AM

I just couldn't believe this when I heard.she will be missed dearly,it took until today for me to realize that it could have been me a hundred times over,even if she was use to taking this heavy mixture of seditives,her time was here to home with the lord.we never know when our time is here,god bless her family,may the good lord be with them.

christy,myrtlebeach,s.c February 13, 2012 | 8:01 AM

BEWARE February 13, 2012 | 5:52 AM

How sad! This death could have been avoided! There needs to be tighter controls on prescribing medications-which in reality are DANGEROUS DRUGS! Just because an M.D. prescribes medications, patients (consumers) need to be their own best judge of what they ingest. Patients need to become educated on anything they are prescribed! Learn all you can about side effects, and call for help if these drugs are not working! Less medications (drugs) are always better than more! How sad!

Nick February 13, 2012 | 5:43 AM

Let this be a lesson that Fame and Money cannot make one happy. Without the Lord Jesus in ones life all else is meaningless. She was great singer . I hope she new the Lord.

Robert February 13, 2012 | 4:28 AM

I will miss her so her voice will be missed deeply,at the same time if her death is caused by her drinking and taking the medication that was not such a good idea I agree someone might be facing michael jacksons killer in jail.RIP whitney we love and miss u.

T February 12, 2012 | 11:46 PM

gone too soon...Whitney E Huston

David D February 12, 2012 | 11:17 PM

Heaven has opened up to embrace you in eternal paradise. RIP Whitney Houston

Fezz February 12, 2012 | 10:56 PM

Why are they saying it was caused by alcohol and xanax alone? If they found Lorazepam, Valium, and Xanax (which btw, are ALL benzodiazepines that should not be taken with alcohol), AND sleeping pills. That mixture right there could have been the cause of death. I'm not understanding why any doctor would prescribe THREE benzos at the same time, and add sleeping pills on top of it. I'm guessing there's going to be someone joining Michael Jackson's doctor in jail, if that's the case. Such a sad thing to have happened to such a beautiful woman, with an amazing voice! RIP Whitney, you will be missed by many. Looks like Heaven has a new angel to sing in the quoir. I hope she finds the peace that she was desperately searching for here on earth....

Tracey H. February 12, 2012 | 8:54 PM

What a tragic loss. We look at these icons and think that they are so lucky and have it all. What a life to have to be on all of those meds even if it wasn't the cause of her death. Having it all means nothing if your not happy. My thoughts a prayers go out to her family. She will be missed dearly.

Tina Curry February 12, 2012 | 8:31 PM

Whitney will be missed by many,she left us with a lot of good music,we love you whitney,may your good soul R.I.P

Kristina February 12, 2012 | 8:26 PM

Taking XANAX /Sleeping pills while indulging in a FULL bathtub of BUBBLE BATH WATER is TOO STUPID & very BAD Judgement on Whitney's part

joanne fauteux February 12, 2012 | 8:01 PM

R.I.P.Whitney I loved you. You offered this world a lot and I for one am very Grateful xoxoxo