New Edition Statement

Bobby Brown is devastated that his ex-wife Whitney Houston died -- but he has his bandmates to lean on. Read on to find out how he reacted to the news of the shocking death, and what the rest of New Edition has to say.

Whitney Houston Bobby Brown

Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston may have ended their tumultuous 15-year marriage acrimoniously, but the New Edition singer is said to be absolutely devastated over the death of the 48-year-old legend.

Singing legend Whitney Houston dead at 48 >>

Brown is currently in Mississippi with New Edition, the singing group that made him famous, and sources say he is distraught and "in and out of crying fits."

New Edition member Johnny Gill told CNN, "Bobby is struggling and devastated," but still planned to attempt to sing with the group at a scheduled show Saturday night.

Houston and Brown were a toxic couple together, with Whitney spiraling deep into what would become a lifelong drug habit during their marriage. Bobby also struggled with drug addiction during their time together, being arrested multiple times for everything from battering his wife to drunk driving.

The couple's relationship was revealed in graphic -- and often shocking -- detail on the reality show Being Bobby Brown, the highlight of which was Bobby discussing digging a "doodie bubble" out of Whitney's posterior when she was constipated.

Whitney Houston's greatest hits: Video roundup >>

Houston later told Oprah Winfrey that she only agreed to appear on the reality show in a misguided attempt to be a supportive wife, as her career had greatly eclipsed Brown's. She also alleged that she and their daughter Bobbi Kristina suffered from physical and emotional abuse at the hands of the man who was supposed to protect them, and that Brown was a serial cheater.

The couple divorced in 2007.

New Edition released a statement in support of the family of Whitney Houston in the wake of her death.

"We are absolutely shocked and saddened by the sudden and untimely death of our dear sister Whitney," they said. "As a group, we are extremely close; when one of us hurts, we all hurt."

Whitney Houston photo gallery: A tribute to her life and career >>

"As much as we are in pain right now, we will continue to draw strength from God, as we support and comfort our brother Bobby, their daughter Bobbi Kristina and Whitney's mother Cissy Houston. Our thoughts and prayers remain with the entire Brown-Houston family today and always."

While it is too soon to know a definitive cause of death -- the singer's body had no visible injuries -- many are speculating that she overdosed, and in the coming days we can expect to see a lot of fingers pointing at Brown for allegedly starting her down the path to ruin.

Image courtesy WENN

Photos: Remembering Whitney Houston

Comments

Comments on "Bobby Brown devastated over Whitney Houston death"

Mylove February 26, 2012 | 12:45 PM

Whitney was the best singer. I think everyone wants to know what were true feelings of her life during her last days. Was she saddened? Was she still going through alot? I just pray the lord comforts her daughter, mother, family and loved ones. I just wish Bobby Brown feels guilty for all the "what ifs" that is probably running through his head right now.Hopefully he doesn't try to make money on writing something about his ex-wife.

Betty February 15, 2012 | 5:17 PM

The girl had it all, at one time in her life, and if she would have put God first in her life she could have over come all demon's she is really going to be miss I know that God has forgiven her for all the things that was not right in her life what every you do allways put God first and you can beat any demon she fought back but she did not have a leader put God first.

nettamae February 14, 2012 | 12:03 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with this family. Whitney may you rest in HEAVEBLY PEACE NOW!!!! No more pain, nomore negativity, nomore woondering what they gonna say about you next. And I dont blame Bobby her death. But he is the reason for her getting on the drugs. Yes it was up to her to stop but HE introduced it to her. She just didnt have the will power to stop. But who are we to judge??? RIP Whitney. Beautiful lady and singer gone to soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelley February 14, 2012 | 5:04 AM

Seriously people..It disgusts me that people are so naive in their thinking. Unless Bobby Brown physically held Whitney down everyday, several times a day and forced drugs into her body, he is in no way to blame. For all any of us know, she could have gotten him started on drugs, or could have been using before they even got together. How do any of us know for sure what happened in their lives, together or separate? She made a choice, what her reasoning behind her choices were are only hers to know,but none the less, she chose to take drugs...The person to blame for her untimely death is HER. I smoke.. I started smoking in high school because my friends did. I don't blame them for my smoking habit.. Im the one who put that cigarette to my mouth and I AM THE ONE who continued doing so. I MAKE MY OWN DECISIONS as did whitney!!!

charita February 13, 2012 | 12:34 PM

First let me say R.I.P Whitney nobody know what it is like to have someone tooking away from them no matter how twisted taht person was in the head its people tnat go threw wit the stuff she went thru with bobby dont judge him now is not the time if you are a real fan and you love her let her rest in peace and stop pointing fingers My love and support go out to her onli child Bobbie keep your head up and you have more than enough love around you

Iron February 13, 2012 | 11:44 AM

Yes, Bobby Brown is the cause. Whitney had a beautiful career until he came into her life. He was abusive, controlling and a drug addict. He got her hooked on drugs. Some of us....have been around and devasted when it all began when she married the idiot drug-addict. For him to be devasted is a scam. Maybe she was paying him alimony or something and he's devasted because he is no longer going to get money.

Iron February 13, 2012 | 11:41 AM

Bobby Brown got Whitney hooked on drugs. Where have you all been? After she married the jerk, she went downhill. Why would ANYONE give condolences to the jerk that was the cause. I think you all need to start doing some researching to the past and see how Bobby Brown ruined her life!

grace banda February 13, 2012 | 11:08 AM

to bobbi i say your mum was an inspiration, to bobby your wife was one of a kind. May God give the comfort you need and deserve. Witney may your soul est in eternal peace

Justice February 13, 2012 | 10:22 AM

No Bobby is not to blame for her death, but their marriage (one in which she out shined him)was the beginning of her need to lesson herself so that he could stand out. She married someone beneath her (talent) and for a woman (particularly a Black woman) this is always a challenge. I truly believe that she begun taking drugs to prove that she could lower herself to his level, then the drugs took over. Lesson here: "Let no man drag you so low to make you hate yourself". She is gone...gone and he is still here.

Sarah February 13, 2012 | 8:56 AM

RIP WHITNEY you will be sadly missed my prayers go out to the family

JACKIE February 13, 2012 | 7:59 AM

R.I.P. May God Be with her Family!

Finischa February 13, 2012 | 7:16 AM

Love her she was the Best Singer in the world. My Prayer go out to the family Mother Houston and Daughter God is Good All the time We Love You Whitney.

RAY February 13, 2012 | 5:44 AM

What a sad lost the world have to deal with! She was too perfect when she started her singing career, she grew into a beautiful woman, mother and Diva, she is a legend and we will sadly miss her! I am from Cape Town and remeber the day she had her live show down here, an experience never to forget! She is just the kind that appears once who made her mark, RIP and my heart goes out to her daughter and fam.

Tanika February 13, 2012 | 5:32 AM

This is very heartbreaking. However, we can not blame Bobby for a grown person's actions's. The focus now shoul be that God is trying to get our attention. We should not be so focused on a person being a celebrity and their status more than we are concerned about the position of their souls. Let's take heed people. Tanika

Anita February 13, 2012 | 12:37 AM

Whitney Houston was the greatest singer of all time.RIP Whitney Our family Loves your family .She was our babygirl and sister We will continue to rejoice when we hear your beautiful and Soulful Voice. Missing you already.To bobby Kristina your Mom loved you.For Mrs.Cissy Houston you were a great Mother to A great Daughter.Giving you the best of our Love and Prayers Anita from Glendale AZ...To Bobby Brown my condolescence.

Jeff February 13, 2012 | 12:26 AM

am sadden by Whitney death, its time to focus on God and get our hearts right

Chase February 12, 2012 | 9:53 PM

All I have to say is about the people gonna be blaming bobby for her drug abuse she was a grown --- woman I mean I hate she died but its not his fault she died rip whitney

sarah February 12, 2012 | 2:06 PM

Prays and my love goes to the Houston family she's in a betta place

barbara February 12, 2012 | 12:20 PM

Thanks for bringing joy to our hearts whitney. How will Bobby live with the guilt of treating her so abusively .STOP ABUSE !!!!! R.I.P my queen

nella February 12, 2012 | 10:58 AM

sorry about the lost rip whitney