"My Haters Are
My Motivators"

Since the announcement that Ellen DeGeneres would be the new spokesperson for JCPenney, the Emmy winner has been at the center of a campaign to boycott the retailer. Ellen addressed the "haters" head-on in the opening monologue of Wednesday's edition of The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Ellen DeGeneres is firing back at a conservative interest group that launched a campaign to convince JCPenney (sometimes simply called Penney's) to drop the daytime gabber as a celebrity spokesmodel.

In case you aren't in-the-know, One Million Moms raised the ire of gay rights proponents last week, when it ordered its supporters to boycott the retailer following its appointment of the "openly gay" Ellen as the face of the clothing and household brand. The group, a division of the socially right-wing American Family Association, argued that Penney's was trying to gain a new target market by "jumping on the pro-gay bandwagon" with its hiring of one of the nation's best-known gay celebrities.

One Million Moms -- which also famously spoke out against the debut of the polygamist TLC soap Sister Wives -- demanded that Ellen be replaced in a controversial posting to its website.

JCPenney spokesgal Ellen under fire from "American families" >>

"Funny that JCPenney thinks hiring an open homosexual person will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families. DeGeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store. The majority of JCPenney shoppers will be offended and choose to no longer shop there," the message read.

Ellen broke her silence on the furor during a taping for Wednesday's episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show. She confessed that she normally prefers to avoid talking about such matters on her show. But this time she made an exception… just this once.

"Normally I try not to pay attention to my haters, but this time I'd like to talk about it because my haters are my motivators."

She poked fun at the One Million Moms group, but said she was "proud and happy" that the department store has stood by her in the face of the anti-gay campaign.

JCPenney to boycott group: We're sticking with Ellen >>

"This organization doesn't think I should be the spokesperson because I'm gay. For those of you who are just tuning in for the first time, it's true. I'm gay. I hope you were sitting down. I hate to break it to you this way, but anyway," cracked the star, who wed love Portia de Rossi in August 2008.

"They [One Million Moms] wanted to get me fired and I am proud and happy to say that JCPenney stuck by their decision to make me their spokesperson," Ellen continued.

"Being gay or pro-gay isn't a bandwagon. You don't get a free ride anywhere. There's no music. And occasionally we'll sing 'We Are Family,' but that's about it," she joked.

DeGeneres then noted that the One Million Moms group only has " 40,000 members on their (Facebook) page. So they're rounding up to the nearest million and I get that."

Ellen, who is also an ambassador for CoverGirl cosmetics, pointed to other -- far more offensive -- celebrity spokesfolks that the organization could badger.

"I mean, if they have a problem with spokespeople, what about the Pillsbury Doughboy? He runs around without any pants on, basically begging for people to poke his belly. What kind of message is that?"

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player
Photo credit: WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Ellen DeGeneres fires back at One Million Moms"

Dan Burress April 02, 2014 | 10:14 PM

I disagree with Ellen's lifestyle, but in order to talk about that we need to show love and compassion. Christ is only interested in one thing, and that is the reclamation of all of us who have missed the mark,or gotten off the path through sin. Do I disagree with same relations? Yes, but I also know that lying, adultery, or mistreating the weak and poor also grieve the heart of God just as much. Christians are to administer spiritual medicine and balm to those who are confused and lost.We are to warn, comfort, and bind up the broken hearted,and let Christ do the rest, and leave the spiritual house cleaning to His merciful hands which only He can do.

Toby Sanch March 24, 2014 | 4:43 PM

It amazes me how homouals don't allow people to have their own personal beliefs. I, for one, am sick and tired of having ual orientation forced down my throat. I don't want to know if you are a ---. Oh, is that the new N word?

MrWonder July 16, 2012 | 4:28 PM

I don't hate people; I hate the lifestyle that is against God's commands (see the New Testament--the Old was written for Israel as a theocracy). I should hate a wrong lifestyle; it harms the very people it claims to set free. True freedom is the freedom to live pleasing to God. Homouality discriminates against the opposite and against children. Penney's can do what it wants to, just as I also do. I started my boycott of them without ever being "ordered" to do so. I boycott them because they are promoting perversion and it's my right, privilege, and responsibility to God and to society to promote decency, morality, and normalcy. Penney's, I was a lifelong customer but I will not shop there while degeneracy is your advertiser.

Promote Truth July 16, 2012 | 9:43 AM

Ellen DeGeneres and J.C. Penney are free, of course, to enter into any business agreement they want to, just as I am free to buy or not buy from J.C. Penney for any reason I want to. J.C. Penney has been going downhill lately. I don't know what they're trying to accomplish by hiring DeGeneres, but I'm not going to kid myself and say it has nothing to do with her being a , and trying to capture the and crowd. Fine. But don't expect that you will not lose Christians as customers in the bargain, who will be offended that you are trying to "normalize" something that isn't normal by showcasing a in a "mainstream" American store. Trying to imply that DeGeneres and Christians are on the "same level" is ridiculous. To many Christians, the and lifestyle is not only abnormal, but an abomination to God. It is as abominable as pedophilia and bestiality. Why not put a pedophile in one of your ads? Many Christians will follow their conscience and not buy from a place that believes the sin of homouality is non-existent, and that is their right.

Nynah July 15, 2012 | 6:59 PM

Hatred is not a family value; it is not one I taught my family. Hatred is the "abomination" of which you speak and it is sadly rampant in the world. When a friend came out to me years ago I answered her, "It's all right honey; at least you're not a Republican. I still love you!!" If hatred is a "Christian value" then they certainly are part of the problem. Wake up, love is the antidote to the poison hatred spreads - don't blame it on "God" - you have to own it if you feel it.

Mya July 12, 2012 | 7:59 AM

I love Ellen since I found out she did Dory in Finding Nemo.Who she chooses to love is not anybodies business. Just leave her alone, at least she has more love and respect than lot's of straight people I know.

loversrule July 06, 2012 | 10:03 PM

I Never shopped at JC Penney,now I will definitely shop there to support their fresh positive attitude! I like their new logo and clean ads. If you believe in a God, God is only Good with one letter removed.

redhead 1960 July 04, 2012 | 7:15 AM

I love Ellen,and her being does not bother me in the slightest,some people are so small minded....You go ELLEN!!!

Garyd July 02, 2012 | 6:09 AM

If your going to use a bible verse to condem s you'd better keep reading. Leviticus also says not to wear garments of mixed materials, don't eat or touch pork, football boycot anyone? Don't eat shellfish! Jez folks louisiana is all going to hell! You million mothers better find somewhere to by hats and scarfs to cover your heads...... Had enough? ..... So have we!

AnneMarie July 01, 2012 | 5:02 PM

For Kathleen: Kathleen, I will pray for your children and all the children of those like you, that they will never be judged an abomination in your God's eyes. I am certain that they will not be judged so in my God's eyes. When you turn them out of your home for a choice that nature has made for them, me and those like me will welcome them with love and patience and kindness. I will pray for you too, for the ones that will hurt themselves mentally and physically or live lives full of lies for fear of not measuring up. Don't worry a moment for their souls because the one God, God of love, hope, and light, will welcome all of his children. In the meantime, he sent Mothers here like myself and many of my friends to take care of the children you would cast aside.

Cynda Lee July 01, 2012 | 8:24 AM

I am a strong believer in the Word and the 10 Commandments and I believe we should love people, be kind to them, pray for them, never judge them, don't cast stones, set good examples in every way we can... This hate stuff is so very wrong... Where is all the LOVE?

Heather July 01, 2012 | 8:21 AM

I keep hearing the word "abomination" and that the bible says being is an abomination. Well the bible lists many things in that section as being an abomination - touching the skin of a dead pig (guess that means no more football! I don't see you being inordinately outraged with the NFL), eating shellfish (mmm, I bet you love shrimp!), women entering the temple without their heads covered (when is the last time you went to church with a hat?), etc. you can make up all kinds of excuses for the decrees I the bible you choose to ignore but you have no problem latching on to the edicts which make you uncomfortable. Such Hipocracy.

Mother of Five June 30, 2012 | 1:13 PM

I haven't shopped at Penney's for years. However, since I learned of the company's response to the boycott over the choice of using Ellen DeGeneres as a spokesperson, I am now actively seeking anything I need to purchase at JCPenney's before I look elsewhere. How refreshing, in this time when so much hatred, violence and vindictiveness is expressed because of others' values or beliefs or life choices, to find a company whose leaders put ethics ahead of the possibility that they might lose a few sales. That's All-American in my book.

Brenda Reger June 25, 2012 | 3:55 PM

Hate the sin, love the sinner. I am not so in any case, Ellen is not my type. I don't like JCP anyway.

Kathleen June 25, 2012 | 11:00 AM

If Ellen is allowed to be by the open minded, then I'm allowed to be opinionated, I'm not angry, I work outside the home plus inside, I have a happy love and family life. I believe in God and his commandments, I believe in not judging. But I won't support a nor will I patronize their business, she wants to be openly then she can be to all who accept her, I don't, she should have kept quiet, I don't go running around or advertising I'm straight. This is a private matter and should stay private, but since she opened her big mouth, she allowed me to opine. I don't shop at JCPenney's anymore, I go where they are family minded, I watch family minded shows and I talk to family minded people, not s nor lovers, that my opine, love it or leave it or critique it. I'm not anymore of hater of Ellen then she is a hater of men. Period.

pbc June 24, 2012 | 1:48 PM

I do not judge -- I'll leave that to God -- but I do have opinions. I really don't know if having parents will harm a child or not. This is something relatively new and there has not been enough time to come to a conclusion on the subject. I do feel that it is God's perfect plan that every child have a mom and a dad and that one should be a male and one a female. If that is God's plan I don't believe that it can be improved on by humans just because it feels right and it is what they want.All this being said I am not opposed to Ellen being their spokesperson as long as all she talks about is the JCP product and does not get into the subject of being or giving any advice on lifestyle choices.

Lance June 10, 2012 | 1:49 PM

I'm not sure if this uproar is really anything more than a few misguided, pathetic, angry housewives with nothing better to do. I'm sorry, ladies: your dysfunctional marriages and family lives are no one else's fault but yours and your husband's. Spend more time making yourself more attractive to your hubby and less time worrying about those people who really, truly, have no impact on your life. I do know that a great number of people need to get their heads outta their butts and need not concern themselves with what goes on in other people's bedrooms. There are those who say that homouals have "chosen" their lifestyle. Please tell me when you "decided" you would be straight. Others say that is only for procreation. That is your business; I will not tell you otherwise. For those decrying sodomy, well, just remember that sodomy also includes oral and other acts that do not result in procreation. Again, I will pass no judgment on your lives. But I will say that the anti- full-of-hate posturing just makes me sad for those who are active participants. How terribly lonely your life must be with all that hate, leaving so little room for love, tolerance, and peace.

JH June 06, 2012 | 7:08 AM

what is the big deal? there are a lot of divorced spokespeople out there in the world too and no one seems to mind that they too are supposedly living life as a sinner. After all wedding vows do state "for worse or for better, in sickness and in health", etc. Everybody has their own lifestyle and beliefs, and as long as they are not pushing those beliefs on anyone else what difference does it make to anybody else? Like one of the commenters said, how is the fact that Ellen is openly going to affect her decision to buy a blouse? If you want to buy something you are going to buy it not because someone supposedly influenced you to make that decision but because you like that item and you want it - plain and simple!! This is just another form of bullying and I personally am happy that no one gave into it. JCP will not lose their customers and the ones that they may end up losing were not really worth having anyway.

Josh June 05, 2012 | 5:27 AM

One Million Haters is what they should be called. These woman are angry stay at home moms with nothing better to do. Angry, that Ellen gets more luvin ;) then they get from their husbands.

T June 05, 2012 | 1:56 AM

Catholics DO NOT "hate s". Please read the USCCB's (United States Council of Catholic Bishops) "Letter on the Pastoral Care of Homoual Persons" and the portion of the "Catechism of the Catholic Church" on the subject. Until you do, you're in ignorance and YOU'RE judging US unfairly. To sum it: we don't expect people outside of the Church to adhere to our beliefs, but if you're going to claim to be a Catholic, then you need to actually follow the religion ("religere" being the Latin for "to link together", like "ligament", meaning that religion is something that's supposed to bind your whole life, including your life, together in a consistent ethic. For us, is for "bonding and babies" in the context of commited, sacramental marriage. So, for Catholics, fornication, contraception, sterilization, etc. are grave sins, like homoual ual contact [this would be the most accurate term, since, biologically speaking, there is no "homoual " since "" is short for "ual intercourse", which is of course impossible for a homoual couple, sodomy and mutual masturbation being their only options]). I'm sorry there are so many uncatechized Catholics out there who may actually "hate s", but our religion doesn't teach us that. Our religion does teach us a very strict ual ethic that we are to follow if we want to actually be practicing Catholics. We are to hold ourselves to this standard, not people outside the Church. As far as who's going to hell, that's not ours to judge. Jesus said, when the woman caught in adultery was brought to be stoned, that "he who has no sin can cast the first stone." He didn't say that what she did wasn't sinful, He just pointed out how level the playing field is since we've all sinned. We are concerned about same- marriage, not because we "hate s", but because such laws are often used to target Catholic organizations for being shut down, such as Catholic Charities adoption services in Massachusetts that had to shut down because they wouldn't place babies with couples. That's targeted discrimination, in my opinion - why couldn't these couples just go somewhere else? Oh no, they wanted to shut down Catholic Charities. That's hateful, IMO, why couldn't they just live and let us live too? Now, Nicole, and others like her, I hope you've learned something, and I would ask you: who taught you to judge others in your ignorance and hate Catholics?