The mystery surrounding the death of Leslie Carter isn't such a mystery after all. A police report obtained by ABC News states that the singer most likely died of a drug overdose -- and when they interviewed her stepmother, she too was heavily under the influence.
The Leslie Carter police report states that three different types of prescription drugs were found near the body of Leslie (referred to in the report by her married last name of Ashton): Olanzapine, used for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, Cyclobenzaprine, a muscle relaxant, and Xanax.
According to the statement, Leslie was home with her stepmother, Ginger, all day and was found unresponsive by her father, Robert.
The report reads, "On 1/31/12… Ginger Carter called 911 to report that Ashton was asleep on her bed and not breathing… [Ginger and Robert] stated that Ashton has a long history of mental illness and was on medication for her depression."
Contrary to a TMZ story that Leslie had been left alone in a house cleared of meds, Ginger told EMS that she had been with the young mother all day and first sensed something was wrong when she checked on Leslie in the bathroom and found her fallen in the tub. She helped Leslie to the bed, and that's the last time anyone saw her conscious.
"Robert came home soon thereafter and around 4:16 p.m. Ashton was found in the bedroom not breathing or responding. Robert tried to perform CPR on Ashton. Then Ashton was transported to WMH [Westfield Memorial Hospital]."
But Leslie wasn't the only one popping pills that day, as it turns out.
"In regards to Leslie Ashton's overdose… Ginger appeared to be under the influence of an unknown drug at the time of the interview," the report reads. "Ginger has slurred speech, pin point pupils, glassy eyes and kept falling asleep… [She] stated that she took five to six pills for her depression (possibly Xanax). Ginger was progressively getting worse as the interview went on and [the officer] felt that Ginger may be overdosing on her medication."
Leslie Carter's official cause of death will be determined by the coroner's office pending toxicology results.
Image courtesy Noemi Torres/WENN