One Million Moms
Vs. Ellen

One Million Moms, a family values group, is taking JCPenney to task over the retailer's decision to appoint lesbian talk show goddess Ellen DeGeneres its newest brand ambassador.

The "activists" are coming after Ellen! A family values group has demanded that clothing chain JCPenney fire Ellen DeGeneres, the brand's newest celebrity ambassador, for being "openly gay."

Last week, the chain proudly unveiled the Emmy-winning talk show tycoon as their latest partner.

It isn't the first time she's worked for the store. Ellen is a former JCPenney employee, having landed her first job there as a teenager in the 1970s.

"One of my first jobs ever was working at the JCPenney in Louisiana in ladies' apparel. It was the '70s, so if you were looking for tube tops or flared trousers then I was your girl," Ellen cracked to her audience last month.

She also promised big changes at the company (more on that later).

"This is a full circle moment, because I am excited to announce my partnership with JCPenney. And most importantly, I'm gonna get my employee discount again. Hello new pillows!"

But not everyone is pleased by the appointment. DeGeneres is now being targeted by controversial interest group One Million Moms.

The group, one faction of the American Family Association, is urging supporters to petition against Ellen being named the new spokesmodel for the chain store and demand that she be replaced by someone a wee bit more "traditional." One Million Moms made a similar argument when they rallied against TLC's decision to air the polygamist reality hit Sister Wives in 2011.

The conservative protesters made their case against the beloved TV personality in a open letter featured on their website this week.

"Funny that JCPenney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families," the statement reads. "DeGeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store. The majority of JCPenney shoppers will be offended and choose to no longer shop there."

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has come out fighting in support of DeGeneres.

"While designated hate groups try to start 'culture wars,' it's clear that a vast majority of Americans today support Ellen as well as their LGBT friends and family members," Herndon Graddick, GLAAD's Senior Director of Programs and Communications, told Radar Online Wednesday.

"Selecting an out performer who has inspired and entertained millions, is not only a smart business practice, but a reflection of how LGBT Americans today are an integral and valued part of the fabric of our culture."

JCPenney is standing behind its decision to hire Ellen.

"I think Ellen is someone we all trust. She's lovable, likable, honest and funny, but at her soul, we trust her," JCPenney CEO and former Apple executive Ron Johnson explains.

JCPenney is revamping its sales strategy. Instead of offering its traditional "door buster" deals and weekly sales, the company is ditching the idea of sales altogether. From now on, JCPenney will always offer the lowest price available on a particular piece of merchandise.

Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen are among the designers who helped announce the news in New York last month. Other JCPenney design partners, including Cindy Crawford, Martha Stewart and Nanette Lepore, joined the retailer's executives for the official unveiling of the brand's new look.

What do you think of JCPenney's decision to hire Ellen?

Photo credits: RHS/WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "JCPenney spokesgal Ellen under fire from "American families""

sadie June 04, 2012 | 10:14 PM

Goodbye JC Penney's....I am taking a stand against immorality in ALL it's forms and against all who promote it no matter what form they are promoting. Our nation has become a nation of weak people lead to slaughter by the media and those who shout the loudest! Our children are being brainwashed to accept immorality as the norm! Wake up people and see what is happening to you and your family! Where you spend your hard earned dollars does make a difference!! If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything, be willing to stand up for the future of this country and your children and their children. Wake up and be counted.

jenmedia February 12, 2012 | 2:55 PM

Good for her! It's 2012, people. Wake up!

PrincessKrissy February 09, 2012 | 6:21 AM

To RJJ and all the others here spewing hate speech: I hope when your children grow up and enter the real world, they don't hate you for how you tried to ruin them with fear and intimidation of a God who may or may not exist. I hope they realize that your closed minded, bigot, views are not the only way, and in fact are the wrong way. I hope that by then it will not be too late for them, and that they will not already be like you, angry and afraid. I hope that someday your eyes will be opened to the negative impact people like you have on our society today, not just from bull like this but because you choose to project your fears and your ignorance onto your children. You choose raise your innocent children in a hateful, exclusive lifestyle founded on fear. You should be ashamed of yourself for treating your children like this. You make me sick. I'm not religious, and I'll tell you why: The God that all you bible-thumpers and -bashers worship? He's a hypocrite: Love thy neighbour? But only if he's straight, right? God either loves us all, or none of us. Oh, and how about this: DON'T MISUSE THE NAME OF GOD. I think that based on the whole "peace, love, and forgiveness" message Jesus was all about, using God as an excuse for blatant hate speech and homophobia? Remove the pathetically thick wool from over your eyes, please.

j. k. giles February 08, 2012 | 6:23 PM

hey, it'll take more than a million anything to bring ELLEN or j.c. pennys down!!

Donna February 08, 2012 | 4:13 PM

Karen: oh good, I can shop without a bunch of bigots! Stay away - or like Big Block said: Walmart will love you have you back! This just convinced me to shop MORE at Penneys!

sharon February 08, 2012 | 3:03 PM

LOVE Ellen.....I will be shopping at JCPenny more often.....!! Why are some people so ignorant. WAY TO GO JCPENNY !! I am not sure the people speaking badly about anyone should call themselves christian.

RJJ February 06, 2012 | 8:45 PM

I agree with OMM. "Openly " people merely are trying to advocate and recuit others into their perversion. Good for OMM... I'm glad they have a back bone to stand up to disgusting, perverted behavior Ellen Degenerate has been pushing. In fact, I won't even allow my kids to see cartoons with ED's voice overs-- and I tell them why... people are sick, evil and need to be avoided in their lives... like pedophiles, murderers and rapists-- quiet often they come to you with a sweet smile but in the end it is their want to harm you.

robin February 06, 2012 | 10:04 AM

Karen, I am proud to be . I have also read the Bible, cover to cover dozens of times. I could turn this in to a religious debate about interpretation, but I won't. if you choose what you do based on who a company employees, you must live a boring life, or do you just not realize how many people you come in contact with daily!

GoodLuckNatalie February 06, 2012 | 8:06 AM

I tried to live the lie of a straight life. All it did was wound my ex-husband and myself. Ellen was a spark of light in the darkness of that world, because I recognized in her an authenticity I couldn't yet express in myself. I am tired of self-proclaimed Christians using their religion to oppress me and others like me. It's sick and it has nothing to do with Christ's instructions or words.

chris gonzales February 04, 2012 | 5:55 PM

I am a Catholic, and I was always taught to live and let live. I was told once that asking someone to change their uality is like asking them to change their Skin Color. I will always shop at JC Pennys, and Continue to watch the Ellen Show. She a very smart bueatiful person inside and out. This group has to much time on there hands. You have girls or boys, and one day they will have their Perferance.

BIGBLOCK472 February 02, 2012 | 2:58 PM

Well Karen, I bet JCP will be devastated to see you go. I'm pretty sure Walmart will have you back.

JR February 02, 2012 | 1:50 PM

I too am a Christian and believe in marriage. So much so that I tried 3 times before I found the right partner. Yes, I am a woman with a man for a husband; however that was my choice - not because it is "right". I believe a person's partner is their own choice - not decided by anyone or anything else. As far as Penney's, I have shopped there in the past and will continue to do so. By the way, I love Ellen!!

KG February 02, 2012 | 11:05 AM

I think our culture is obsessed with uality. I am a Christian and I love the Bible- yet I don't see why Ellen's ual life has to do with whether or not she should do commercials with JCPenny or why it's anyone's business. I also think it's not very kind for groups to make trouble for her or cause grief with personal insults. I hope those of us who have found Love will affect our culture with that Love and kindness.

karen williams February 02, 2012 | 10:15 AM

I probably won't shop Pennys anymore and I have been a customer for over 40 years .She is not a image i would want for my Store. I an a christian and can't belive in her life style which she is so proud of. She needs to read the Bible and see what God has to say about it all.