Second Week Drop
For Chelsea!

Chelsea Handler's Are You There, Chelsea? premiered with colorful euphemisms like "dry humping" and "handy" that left some wondering if the show was nothing more than bad jokes. With a so-so ratings start, things don't look any better after the sitcom's second week showing.

We weren't overly excited by the premiere of Are You There, Chelsea?, but we weren't hating it either. It just felt like we've seen it before and we were expecting a little more than throw away jokes and vulgar references.

There were the redundant "lady parts" chuckles and references to a red head's "carpet" and "drapes" that we knew would smack us in the face, but there was something about Laura Prepon's take on Chelsea that made us want to give the second episode a chance -- but did everyone else want to give it a second look?

It looks like the answer is no, according to a slight dip in ratings.

Based upon the fact that the second episode was all about swapping exes, we figured we'd have to sit through another half-hour of sexual innuendoes -- and we were right.

According to TVLine, a mere 4.3 million viewers tuned in to watch Chelsea take a shine to Sloane's (Chelsea Handler) old high school boyfriend, Matt. That's a drop from the show's okay start last week, which managed to pull in 6.4 million viewers.

We had a feeling the show would start seeing a decrease in viewers, but it's just sad it started with the second episode. Time will tell if it has anything to do with the premiere of American Idol, but we're going to chalk this up to what it is -- a good sitcom by NBC standards, but not for the overall viewer population.

TV to heat up your winter >>

Here's our stance: We want Are You There, Chelsea to garner more grin than cringe for the simple fact that Laura Prepon as Chelsea is the silver lining and she deserves to be recognized.

There's something about her. She makes us want to watch and root for this show without even realizing it -- too bad not everyone agrees.

There's no doubt that fans of Chelsea Handler will probably get this show and be its saving grace -- if there is a saving grace.

Hit up our comments section and tell us what you think…

Thumbs up or down for Are You There, Chelsea?

Photo credit: NBC

Tags: are you there chelsea

Comments

Comments on "Chelsea Handler's sitcom: Are you there, ratings?"

CHELSEA FAN June 02, 2012 | 8:46 PM

i love chelsea, but this is the worst show i've ever seen. laugh track? WTF network tv blows

kris March 28, 2012 | 8:39 PM

VERY bad show. I wanted to like it (I like Chelsea Handler and Laura Prepon from That 70's Show) but there's nothing redeeming about this show. One of the WORST sitcoms to hit tv in years. Not funny, terrible writing, actors don't connect.

louis March 02, 2012 | 7:06 AM

That show is crap.

Jim February 01, 2012 | 10:05 PM

Are You There Chelsea? If she is smart she'll answer No! This show is beyond bad, its pure crap! Things like this can kill a career. Who wants to listen to a comedian from a unfunny sitcom?

Martha February 01, 2012 | 6:01 AM

You must be watching the wrong show Chrissy or you are easily amused. This show is terrible on every level!!

Chrissy January 31, 2012 | 7:11 PM

Yes the first episode was akward but the 25ths episode was much much better.

Martha January 28, 2012 | 2:26 PM

WOW...if raspberry awards were given to sitcoms, this one would win it hands down!! Chelsea, you can't act and the jokes are really old, crude and stupid. Was this really your life? If so, I would down lots of vodka too! And what's with your sidekick Chuy on Chelsea Lately? He's cute and all but he adds nothing to the show and can never get his lines straight....the midget has got to go!! The next time I tune in, I hope you're not there Chelsea.

Malcolm January 27, 2012 | 10:36 AM

Hey come on, its pretty funny. It is not supposed to be a highbrow show. Certainly above the average mediocre fare on the networks. I think it will get better as well! Dee Dee rocks.

catt January 25, 2012 | 9:37 PM

To say this show is a train wreak is an understatement! I can't believe it's even on. Chelsea cannot deliver a line at all! The cast looks like a bunch of people pulled off the street. Double OMG! It's never taken me so little time to know this show is a waste of space and time. Sorry, Chelsea, Get off my TV! Please!

cheryl January 25, 2012 | 6:18 AM

It's horrible! Along with Whitney. WTH are they? Nwever heard of either one of them. They took off Friday Night Lights and Chuck 's final is this Friday...they were good. So tired of these dumb sitcoms!

Cheryl January 25, 2012 | 6:11 AM

It just sucks! Whitney isn't much better. It's crude and wth is she anyway? Never even heard of her (or Whitney for that matter)....

Geno January 25, 2012 | 5:34 AM

It will last. They cancel all the good shows and keep the crap. Two Broke Girls gets raves and it's as lame as they come. The producers seem to pander to the crowd that can't even spell MENSA.

Joey January 25, 2012 | 4:22 AM

Worst sitcom ever. My standards are pretty low (I watch Gossip Girl and consider Lindsay Lohan a decent actress) but this is beyond awful. And god is Chelsea a bad actress, she's okay in her show but as an actress she is the worst thing i've ever seen. Please cancel now!

Natalie January 24, 2012 | 10:53 AM

I love Chelsea Handler. However, I could not get into the show only because I am more of a book person when it comes to certain types of comedy. People need to understand that Chelsea is known for her brutal honesty and her attitude is the reason why she is where she is now. People fail to notice the good she does for people and let’s not forget her awards (Glamour’s – Women of the Year). Miss Handler is a person with big opinions with a pretty rational personality. I feel that she means well and I enjoy her and all the funny she brings. I wish her nothing but luck with Are You There, Chelsea.

Tina January 24, 2012 | 7:47 AM

I can't stand Chelsea Handler. Who gave this narcissistic, rude, obnoxious person a show?? She thinks criticizing and making fun of people is funny but the fact is, she isn't the least bit funny. Go away and drink until your pancreas decides to give you a wake up call saying it's time to grow the eff up!

Monkey Brain January 21, 2012 | 10:58 AM

The problems with Chelsea are: 1. She cannot act. At all. 2. She's thinks she's the only person in the room who is funny. She's obnoxious, crude, and egotistical. And it shows the more she is on the air. When you're not as funny as you think you are, can't act and look like the lovechild of David Letterman and Alfred E. Neuman, the outlook for a successful TV show is grim.

Tony January 20, 2012 | 5:32 PM

God awful, each actor is worse than the last.

Rick January 20, 2012 | 5:11 AM

This is one of the saddest shows I've seen in the 50+ years of watching TV. Chelsea is too old to play the part....pull the camera back farther, she has too many wrinkles for the part. I have a feeling that "Donna" is uncomfortable with her character. I don't think she really wants to be a drunk . The rest of the actors are like little gnats buzzing around your head that just bug you and you want to swat them away. This show seems to be a cry for help by a self abusing woman that can't figure a way out of her life style.......best if they just put a bullet in it's head and called it quits.....

Mary Jo January 19, 2012 | 4:45 PM

I'm with Theresa (above): "Chelsea Lately" works for what it is, in the late night biz, but this show is one of the worst I've ever seen. I gave it the 2nd episode to be sure it didn't get better-- it didn't. Filthy, crude and full of bad acting. Yuck. Not me.

robyn January 19, 2012 | 4:27 PM

Whitney is a terrible show and Chelsea is even worse.If it makes it to 5 episodes its a miracle