Ai Saved The Best
For Last!

As American Idol began wrapping up its season 11 premiere Wednesday night, we wondered if we'd see a raw talent so bold they'd be good enough to be labeled the star of the night. Thank heavens Phillip Phillips walked through the door!

No, you don't have to run to your nearest eye doctor, our breakout star of American Idol's season 11 premiere is Phillip Phillips -- yes, that's really his name -- spelling and all.

Steven Tyler, Randy Jackson and Jennifer Lopez returned for the season 11 premiere of American Idol Wednesday night, tamer than usual we might add, but what wasn't tame was the singer who they cleverly saved for last.

How Steven Tyler fell for his girl >>

There were a handful of talented singers sprinkled throughout the Savannah, Georgia auditions, but none like 20-year-old Phillip Phillips.

The hottie with a voice hails from Leesburg, Georgia and happens to have a job as unique as his voice -- pawn shop employee.

His pure voice captivated Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson with Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" and, of course, managed to get him three "yes" votes to advance to Hollywood.

You have to check out this one-of-a-kind performance that sent the judges into a frenzy...

What you didn't see in the video is Phillip Phillips grab his guitar upon the judges' request and jam out to Michael Jackson's "Thriller!"

We're not going to lie, we were not overly excited by the talent so far -- aside from Phillips, of course. The singers seemed very cookie cutter and the judges seemed to be missing the mojo we saw during season 10.

Did you check out the season 11 premiere of American Idol?

Head over to our comments section and tell us if you saw any standouts. We also want to hear what you thought of Phillip Phillips!

Is Phillip Phillips the one to watch?

Photo credit: FOX

Comments

Comments on "Phillip Phillips: The American Idol audition you have to see!"

Lee Long June 20, 2012 | 10:16 AM

Wow, I am in my 80's and have never been so excited about any talent like wonderful new talented Phillip Phillips. I am going to live for a long time just so I can listen to Phillip and watch him sing. Looking forward to July 4th. like never before and his new cd's. Keep doing what your are doing Phillip!!!!!! I'll be here-LOL!

toby June 14, 2012 | 8:19 AM

philip you are a great singer and i wish you the best of every thing in life you deserve it i casn't wait till you get a cd out i want one and i hope you have a quick recovery from your operation and may god be with you

Jon June 05, 2012 | 5:33 PM

Phillip I think your great and always be you! Best of luck dude.

lib miles June 03, 2012 | 9:57 AM

I just can't wait for your concert here in San Jose. I feel that Jesus electrifies your wholebeing whenever you perform. I can't wait for your CDs to be released and I' m gonna treasure all of them...God speed your recovery...He will always be with you in every footprint you make on your journey to success...

rrrrrrrzzzzzz May 30, 2012 | 7:19 AM

he makes me cry he is so good!

Bev Szalkowski May 29, 2012 | 12:12 PM

I love your humbleness and wittiness. You are a great singer. God has blessed you with a awesome voice. Hope you have a speedy recovery and don't change your ways. God bless you and your family.

Lata May 26, 2012 | 7:46 PM

Phillip, your humility with your originality in your beautiful singing adds a layer, no one brings to the stage. God Bless You Always. No matter how high you go, and that you will, don't lose your humble self and your art will never tarnish.

Victoria Boswell May 24, 2012 | 8:57 AM

This young man is AWESOME !! He is true to himself and that's what makes him so special. Good luck Phillip and may GOD continue to bless you.

janice grinstead May 24, 2012 | 6:19 AM

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!cant wait to see you in concert.i hope you have a speedy recovery....praying

Hannah May 23, 2012 | 11:30 AM

I'm rooting for Phillip Phillips! He's unique, humble and a true musician.

emmett austin May 23, 2012 | 9:38 AM

Phillip, you are AWESOME, I KNEW THAT FROM THE FIRST TIME YOU AUDITIONED! YOU ARE UNIQUE AND SELDOM DOES SOMEONE LIKE YOU COME ALONG IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS. I HAVE WATCHED EVERY PERFORMANCE AND I REALLY HOPE PEOPLE REALIZE HOW GOOD YOU ARE AND VOTED FOR YOU. YOU HAVE THE TALENT, PERSONALITY....YOU HAVE IT ALL!!! EVEN YOU DON'T WIN(WHICH YOU SHOULD) YOU WILL BE AROUND A LONG TIME, CAN'T WANT TO SEE YOU PERFORM IN PERSON...GOD BLESS YOU AND HAVE A FANTASTIC CAREER....

Laurie May 23, 2012 | 9:30 AM

Phillip WILL WIN American Idol Season 11, but even in the rare off-chance he doesn't, he will without any doubt, sell more CD's than Jessica can ever dream of selling! She has a great voice but there's no originality, just another female diva who is emulating every other female singer out there; but Phillips is HIMSELF and unique! Go Phillip!!!

Fergdorf May 20, 2012 | 10:31 AM

Relax people. Phillip is good. He's not the second coming of Christ!

kathy May 19, 2012 | 4:08 PM

Love his voice and the way he moves when he sings.He is so simply and so talented. Wishes him the best and yes am voting for him....

yvette grageda May 19, 2012 | 8:05 AM

WOW!!! I'm in my 60's and never been as excited as this. Waiting weekly just to hear what Phillip Phillips is going to sing. I know that he is going to have a fantistic career. Even I will be buying PP's music. Can't wait! Best of luck to you PP's!!!

Hilary May 19, 2012 | 6:26 AM

I am a Phillip Phillips fan. I have been watching at least 1 American Idol competition per season and have never voted. Until this year and this guy. He is that good. My only complaint is the final contestant fight between Jessica, the "lounge singer" and Phillip... it should be good, but nothing like what it would have been had America voted in Joshua Ledet. Ledet is the best singer and probably the best entertainer of the final 3. He really never "missed" a performance he just got a bit repetitive. The two men would have given us a showdown. Oh well, now I only hope American doesn't blow it and choose the lounge singer over the finest talent Idol has seen in a long, long time. Go Phillip!

seejimmy May 18, 2012 | 9:09 PM

I also had kidney stones busted up 5 times between dec.2008 and apr.2010 all stones were calcium oxalate. Phillip,get tested for hyperparathyroidism>If your PTH level is high ..your blood calcium should be on the very lowest end of the scale..and vice versa dont be fooled with high PTH and calcium levels ...but still within normal range..if this happens,YOU ARE PROBABLY SICK...This desease untreated will suck all the calcium out of ur bones and produce osteoporosis!!! I have suffered 3 spinal fractures and 5 stone removeals before anyone thought to test me.

Brenda Harding May 18, 2012 | 10:13 AM

I loved it and surprised I missed it oh well it was awesome good luck Phillip Phillips you have my vote

Margaret Reeves May 17, 2012 | 3:51 PM

Good Luck Phillip. Its funny,i used to go to the pawn shop and buy fish bait from you for my son.If i only knew then what i knew now,i would have saved my receipts. GOD bless and the best of luck.

Bryn May 17, 2012 | 11:54 AM

I adore Phillip Phillips! He has something special from day one, and it is so exciting to see how far he has come in the competition! I don't usually call in to vote, but I have twice now for him because he is SO GOOD! I love his voice and he I love that he can do much more than sing. He definitely has a unique sound, and I love it.