Bourdain To Deen:
Break A Leg!

As news of Paula Deen's Type 2 diabetes diagnosis spread, followers of the Southern cooking maven awaited a response from nemesis Anthony Bourdain. See just what the fellow chef had to say Tuesday!

Anthony BourdainWhen word broke Tuesday of Paula Deen's diabetes announcement fans of celebrity chefs knew it was only a matter of time before her sworn enemy, Anthony Bourdain, responded. True to form, the man who once called Deen the most dangerous person in America, took to Twitter to share his thinly veiled opinion.

Early Tuesday morning Paula Deen appeared on the Today show to announce her Type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Though rumors have circulated the celebrity chef has been dealing with the disease for years, this was the first time she made any admission.

An admission that, much to the irking of Anthony Bourdain, came right along with a promotional deal. Paula Deen, out and proud Type 2 diabetes sufferer, is now the spokesperson for Diabetes in a New Light -- a site run by pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk.

Barely masking his response to Paula Deen's diabetes admission and ensuing endorsement deal, Anthony Bourdain tweeted Tuesday afternoon, "Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later."

Response from the public to Paula Deen's diabetes diagnosis has been mixed.

Siding with Bourdain one person wrote Tuesday, "I would never make any of her recipes! Butter, Cream, High Fat, High Calorie Sugary Recipes. NO WAY, love yourself and your family enough to never cook like she does. It is like putting a loaded gun to your head. I think what she is doing is hypocritical and hurtful to those with diabetes. I think she hid it because she cares more about her next endorsement and her bottom line then she does about her viewing audience or cookbook buyers."

Defending the cooking queen one gossip reader commented, "Don't like the food don't got to watch the show or follow the recipe. This is like people suing McDonald's. Bourdain needs to STFU."

Still another commenter, apparently no fan of Deen or Bourdain wrote, "They're both charlatans for their respective fields. Six of one, half dozen of the other."

Whose side are you on? Team Anthony Bourdain or team Paula Deen?

Image via WENN

Comments

Comments on "Paula Deen diabetes backlash led by Anthony Bourdain"

Marie March 07, 2012 | 10:09 AM

I am so sick of that Bourdain -------! He glorifies illegal drugs and drinks like a fish!!! He's complaining about her!!! I've always watched No Reservations and Layover....but now I'm done. I hope HE breaks a leg!!

Mary January 21, 2012 | 7:48 AM

Don't you people think for yourselves. So Paula Dean is diabetic and Bourdain smokes. They each have shows that people like to watch. You don't have to watch them. Bourdine should shut up and the rest of you who are against one side or the other should thank God we still have the freedom to watch what we want and eat what we want. Last time I looked there were much more pressing problems facing our nation than this.

Lee January 20, 2012 | 10:23 AM

Yes, Anthony Bourdain smokes! AND, SO DOES PAULA DEEN!!! I believe she smokes almost two packs a day. Just think of all the good she could have done. Three years. She could have taught us all. That is the only reason I am done with her. And, I AM DONE WITH HER!!!

Ohbequiet January 19, 2012 | 8:16 PM

All you soccer momish posters trashing Paula need to stfu.. Nobody is forcing anyone to eat gobs of sugar and butter-ppl do have choices, last time I checked. There are plenty of chefs showcased on the Food Network channel who specialize in healthier cooking lifestyles. Paula is no different from any other of celebrities benefitting from endorsements. You all sound so stupid!

bwebb January 19, 2012 | 5:56 PM

Paula's cooking has been over the top and makes her look like a dinosaur in this day and age of smarter cooking. I never understood why she continued to be on. Her day has passed for sure. We are all wising up and taking better care of our health. people need to take tv for what it is. Mindless entertainment, not everything on it is truthful, or good for you. Everyone is just out trying to make money .

c January 19, 2012 | 1:04 PM

What's weird is that noone is talking about her son Bobby's sudden spin off show call "Not My Mamas Meals" on the Cooking Channel in which he dissects Paula's recipes and cuts the fat, calories and sugar. Hmmmmmm..?!

John2438 January 19, 2012 | 11:35 AM

People that live in glass houses . . . . . . the "real" problem is us, the consumer, because we have elevated people like this to celebrity status on TV networks. Do we really need 400 channels of nothing to watch thus providing more and more ridiculous people hosting ridiculous programs?

Goofy January 19, 2012 | 9:24 AM

Paula Deen developing diabetes is about as shocking as Charlie Sheen contracting and STD!

Oldsalt January 19, 2012 | 6:59 AM

Hey Yaaaallll, I have to say that if WE could all just take care of ourselves and stop living our lives by what some DA on TV says or does....we would all be better off. WE have choices, you eat bad food - bad things happen. You eat good food - not as many bad things happen. Hey guess what - bad things are going to happen, so start living your own life - the way you want. Take care!

Joan January 19, 2012 | 6:14 AM

Anthony Bourdain is a smoker. Does he care if his cigarette smoke bothers people? Of course not. You don't have to eat Paula's food, but you have to inhale Bourdain's second hand smoke.

Ocean January 19, 2012 | 6:09 AM

I'm NOT defending Paula Deen . . . But . . . I've only watched Bourdain's show one time and in every-other scene he was smoking . . . so while his disdain for Deen is understandadble - he is an EQUALLY bad influence on the American public by promoting SMOKING !!!! So what would be wrong if he quit smoking & began profiting from promoting a company that sells a nicotine patch ?!?!?!?!

grow up people January 18, 2012 | 11:07 PM

Everyone who is blaming Paula for cooking southern style food with butter, cream and sugar is missing the point that this is how many regular people in the south have cooked for years. Long before Paula had a show or was giving anyone recipes sweet tea and sweet cornbread and decadent deserts were common. Heavy rich dishes were and sometimes ARE considered normal family dinner for people who have never seen a single Paula show or purchased one of her cookbooks. She showcases one of many cooking styles, it is up to the viewer to choose the styles, flavors and lifestyles they prefer. That is one of the great things about America, just because it's bad for you doesn't make it illegal (yet).

Carol January 18, 2012 | 10:17 PM

Paula Deen has no obligation to reveal her health history. She is not claiming to be anyone's personal health guru, and is not required to live her life as someone's "role model". Yes, her recipes are full of butter and calories, but people have you never heard of moderation and common sense? I prefer Paula and her recipes to those ego driven drips on the Iron Chef-type shows, making meals out of seaweed and pigeon gizzards.

Former Dialysis Patient January 18, 2012 | 7:32 PM

I always said Paula Deen was going to get type 2 Diabetes. I also Joked that she was going to lose her kidneys, and end up on dialysis. She is over 65, and I figure it will take her 5 years to lose her kidney. She will be 70 years old. That is the cutoff for getting a transplant. Paula will be on dialysis till she dies

irishcreme1980 January 18, 2012 | 7:03 PM

I'm so tired of everyone ripping on Paula Dean! So what if she waited 3 years to announce that she has diabetes? She has no obligation to tell anyone anything about her personal medical conditions. Critics are implying that she didn't reveal this for fear of damage to her cooking show. (maybe) Other's are saying that because she prepares such un-healthy food items on her show, that she has an "obligation" to educate people on the consequences of poor eating habbits. Ummm...I'm pretty sure that anyone with the least bit of common sense is fully aware that eating un-healthy foods on a consistent basis can lead to health problems including diabetes. I don't think that Paula Dean has the power to make anyone change their eating habbits if they don't want to. Furthermore, it's not her responsibility to do so. I get so irritated when people try to turn public figures/entertainers into role models. This wouldn't be an issue if everyone took responsibility for their own actions and choices. Entertainers are paid to do just that...entertain! Paula said it best "I'm your cook, not your doctor". If you don't agree...you can always take advantage of the cutting edge invention known as the remote control...and guess what...these amazing devices even give you the option to change the channell! Wow- technology is awesome!

cheryle sanders January 18, 2012 | 4:42 PM

If I were diabetic I would not go anywhere near butter. I am a health nut and I don't do 'treat' meals ever, but I still would not consider myself anywhere near to 99% getting it right. Anyone getting it 99% right would be in peak condition and would not consider fatty food as treats. A treat to someone getting it 99% right would be a carrot juice or a handful of nuts and berries. Half the problem with peoples diets these days is that they tend to show love, affection and praise with fatty or sweet foods. I have man v food playing right now and that guy is heading for trouble. Heart attack or diabetics take your pick. But you know what, if someone wants to make a living and maybe even kill their self by eating fatty food then go right ahead, freedom of choice, even the dumbest amongst us get that right.

SR January 18, 2012 | 4:04 PM

Ms Dean has made a career out of basically hawking a ridiculous over the top persona who shows you how to cook a certain type of food that is basically very bad for your health and well being, but probably very tasty, as most foods of that type are. The results of eating that type of food are evident by looking at Ms. Dean herself, and the fact that she is diabetic is really too bad. However, it is deplorable that she was diagnosed 3 years ago and continued to promulgate eating the type of foods that most experts agree can cause diabetes and other ailments. The reason why? MONEY! Her whole southern ditzy broad routine is tied to the cooking empire she has built, which could have been seriously impacted if anyone tied her condition to the bad stuff she used to eat and continues to suggest we eat on her show and in her books. Why did she come out now? I suspect the fact that the rumor mill was in full swing had something to do with it. She states she withheld the information about her diabetes until “she had something to say”. Like there wasn’t information on healthy eating habits 3 years ago? Like it wasn’t known that her recipes can cause diabetes and other things 3 years ago? Like she didn’t personally change anything as a result of her diagnosis 3 years ago (and didn’t bother to tell the rest of us about those changes or the lurking dangers in her recipes)? Sorry – her drastic “giving up sweet tea” sacrifice is meaningless and an attempt at diverting attention away from everything else. I would not be surprised if she actually sought out an endorsement deal to profit from her condition! I suspect the financial incentive from the drug company is a good reason to “come out”, and the fact that the TMZs of the world would out her anyway was probably another factor. Even now she backpedals and downplays her role in promulgating unhealthy eating habits, more or less blaming her audience because she always preaches "moderation" and her garbage recipes are not the only cause of diabetes. No? Well they certainly don't help! Grow up, Ms. Dean, and kudos to Mr. Bourdain for his insights on this phony.

Mary January 18, 2012 | 3:51 PM

I am an INSULIN DIABETIC and have been for 4 years. I was a type 2 Diabetic for 14 years. I see nothing wrong with Paula being a spokeswoman for this RX company and being compensated for doing so. What about all the stars that represent these different Weight Loss Clinics - ie Weight-Watchers, Nutri-System, etc. - stars like Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson and Valerie Bertinelli - i'm sure they are making big bucks for their work. I like Paula Deen - love her humor and entertaining ways and just love to watch her and listen to her Southern accent! I don't cook like that, but i do things in moderation - when a recipe calls for 4 T of butter, i use maybe 1 or 2. I am very careful how my food is prepared and watch my portions = rule No. 1 - use a smaller plate!! I'm sure her show will change somewhat and have some "Light Versions" of her cooking. Anthony, eat your heart out - Paula, take the stage - change America's ways of prepping/eating sensible food. PEACE!

foodlover January 18, 2012 | 2:16 PM

I make Paula Deen's recipes IN MODERATION (which doesn't make me fat), I watch Bourdain and laugh at his smarminess (which doesn't make me an a__hole). I also choose to work out and eat healthy 99% of the time - the result of responsible moderation? A fit, healthy, and happy- to-have-a-piece-of-gooey-butter-cake-once-a-month gal! We all get to choose free will and live life in moderation.

cheryle sanders January 18, 2012 | 12:19 PM

I have no interest in chefs or the recipes of those that are over weight. I am a chef and I feel a huge responsibility towards those that eat my food. There is so much highly processed food full of fat sugar and salt about, when you eat a chef's food you should be getting better than all the fast food crap. Paula's food is worst for you than fast food and that's saying something!