Lovato Says She Was "Self-Medicating"

Demi Lovato graces the February issue of Seventeen magazine and reveals for the first time her struggle with drugs and alcohol.

Demi Lovato admits drug use to Seventeen magazine.

These past few years were not easy on Disney star Demi Lovato. Back in October 2010, Lovato left her music tour and entered rehab for what her camp cited then as emotional and physical issues.

Her rep released a statement at the time, "Demi has decided to take personal responsibility for her actions… she is doing just that." TMZ reported Lovato was not seeking treatment for substance abuse but for self-injury and an eating disorder.

In February's issue of Seventeen magazine, Lovato tells the explicit truth behind her emotional breakdown and rehab stay in a shocking interview. Lovato admits to drug and alcohol abuse for the first time and stays she was suffering emotionally.

"I'm not gonna lie. I was self-medicating. I was doing things like drinking and using [drugs], like a lot of teens do to numb their pain."

This is the first public admission of substance abuse from the 19-year-old Sonny with a Chance star. Previous reports of Lovato's alleged cocaine use surfaced around the time she entered rehab. Life and Style claimed they spoke with eyewitnesses who saw Lovato use cocaine and alcohol while in Texas in December 2009.

"She was doing line after line like a pro -- and she was 17 at the time. I just remember her doing it as if she had been doing it for a long time. It didn't seem like something new to her."

Lovato checked out of rehab in late January 2011. Since she left treatment, Lovato has been extremely vocal about her struggles and desire to be emotionally and physically healthy. She tells Seventeen she has new outlook on life today.

"I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't throw up after my meals, I don't starve myself. There's nothing that I do that I feel ashamed of."

Demi Lovato is extremely grateful to those who supported her decision to enter treatment. Demi explains she and good friend Miley Cyrus hit some rough patches during Lovato's recovery process but remain close. Best-friend Selena Gomez has always stuck by her side.

"There were two people [who were there for me]. No matter how many times we fight, we will always be in each others' lives. [Miley Cyrus and I] are very strong-headed, so when we fight, it's brutal and we're like, 'We're never going to be friends again!' Then two days later, we're like, 'I love you and I miss you!' Selena [Gomez] and I, we never fight. She's not a confrontational person at all. Both of them will never leave my life no matter what happens, because we've been through so much together."

Photo: Seventeen

Comments

Comments on "Demi Lovato finally admits drug use"

demirox July 21, 2013 | 8:06 PM

I am so glad she got the help she needed. She is such an inspiration and a role model. I love u Demi!

eden March 24, 2013 | 5:05 PM

when Demi does it she's inspirational, brave, strong and honest. When Amy Winehouse does it and dies nobody cares and all she gets labelled as is a 'crackhead' she was just as honest if not more, than Demi and both should be inspirational for going through the things they did

paola March 01, 2013 | 11:08 AM

idk if this is happening to me cus their are times when i feel like this , and demi is such an inspiration to me

Taylor December 26, 2012 | 12:01 AM

Demi lovato is such an inspiration because I've struggled with eating disorders and cutting my whole life! On top of that abusing pills! Demi is so strong to say she's not ashamed of her past! She is inspiration to me in which I know I can get through this dark time in my life and come out happy and full of joy! So props to u Demi:)

jade garrnet April 19, 2012 | 4:15 PM

demi you are a hot mess you need to get some help are you will die. PLEASE STOP YOU NEED TO!

Jeff March 14, 2012 | 10:06 AM

Actually respect...they did. Through their twitter account they recanted their story. This is a known fact.

resspect March 13, 2012 | 6:35 PM

actually, they never admitted to exaggerating about the cocaine thing.

ana January 06, 2012 | 6:10 PM

Ups to demi she is an insipration, now that I have severe anxiety i know how emotionally disabling mental illeness can be. It is horrible people dont get you sometimes and sometimes well eventually you can fall in drugs and in dangerous habits, but she is an inspiration to me if she is getting through it so can i love you demi!

SavedByDemi January 05, 2012 | 2:50 AM

Demi is the strongest, bravest, and most beautiful girl I have ever known. Props to her for her honesty. Virtually all other celebrities would deny, or at least downplay their issues, but not Demi - she came out with her story, and saved lives, just as she did my own. It's no huge surprise that Demi experimented with and self-medicated with drugs and alcohol. That being said, this article leaves out the fact that the "eyewitness" from the party in Dec. 2009 later owned up to exaggerating in regards to the cocaine use. Regardless, Demi is beyond all of that. She stands tall, strong, and proud (like a skyscraper), and owns up to her mistakes, honestly exposing her difficult past, and changing the lives of millions. I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for Demi. Thank God, she came into my life at a very dark time, and has since then not only inspired me to seek help, but has girls like me who deal with eating disorders and self-harm. Furthermore, I love her unconditionally, infinitely, and eternally. Thank you, Ms. Lovato, for your courage and honesty, and for being my greatest inspiration in life. You are my hero. LOVE, just another LOVATiC ???

jeff January 04, 2012 | 10:55 AM

Actually this isn't the first time she admitted to substance abuse. She admitted this in people magazine last year as well as in an Ellen Interview as well. Don't you guys keep up with the news or something?