Kelly Clarkson's Political Faux Pas

Kelly Clarkson learned it doesn't pay to get political after her fans turned against her when she endorsed presidential candidate Ron Paul on Facebook.

Kelly ClarksonEveryone is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes celebrities learn the hard way that when it comes to controversial subjects like politics and religion it is often better to keep those opinions to yourselves. Kelly Clarkson learned that lesson today.

The American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson threw her support in the direction of Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul today, writing on Facebook, "I love Ron Paul. I liked him a lot during the last Republican nomination and no one gave him a chance. If he wins the nomination for the Republican party in 2012 he's got my vote. Too bad he probably won't."

Sounds sensible until you look at Ron Paul's political positions: Against birthright citizenship, pro-life, against federal oversight of health care, marriage, drug laws and pretty much everything else because he says state governments should decide them. He has also spoken out against the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Basically he is one of the most conservative members of Congress and believes that the federal government should have little role in actually running the country.

Kelly Clarkson: "I have no boobs but they're coming out!" >>

Paul is also considered the grandfather of the Tea Party Movement and many hold him up as the only hope for true change in the U.S. Needless to say, the dude can be a pretty polarizing figure.

After receiving a huge backlash on her position from fans who believe Ron Paul would destroy equality and freedom in America, Clarkson wrote, "I am really sorry if I have offended anyone. Obviously that was not my intent. I do not support racism. I support gay rights, straight rights, women's rights, men's rights, white/black/purple/orange rights. I like Ron Paul because he believes in less government and letting the people (all of us) make the decisions and mold our country. That is all. Out of all of the Republican nominees, he's my favorite."

Apparently the fans just wouldn't let up, because Clarkson later updated on her blog, "Man my eyes have been opened to so much hate tonight. If y'all ever disagree with something I say please don't feel the need to attack me."

Kelly Clarkson: "I've never been in love" >>

"I will listen to what you say and any articles or viewpoints you have when you say it with respect. Being hateful is not a healthy way to get people to see or hear you," she wrote. "I was raised to respect people and their decisions and beliefs and I hope you will grant me the same decency. If you don't agree with me simply unfollow me. It's really that easy. I hope you don't because I would love the chance to hear what you have to say but if you're so blinded by hate you can't seek peace and progress then that is your unfortunate prerogative."

We expect one of two things to come of this: Either Kelly Clarkson never opens her mouth about politics again or she is hired to sing the theme song of Ron Paul's election campaign.

Image courtesy WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Kelly Clarkson enrages fans with Ron Paul endorsement"

mel January 05, 2012 | 6:09 PM

Why is it so wrong when a celeb endorses a republican? Yet when a celeb endorses a democrat : example oprah and obama. Its glorified in the media? I just don't understand the complete bias and republican bashing....its really absurd. Good for you kelly for not being afraid to express your opinion in a very biased and one sided mainstream media:)

FrankieHLL January 03, 2012 | 3:03 PM

Last I heard we are still living in America where a person can express their opinion about their preference in anything. So just because she is not embracing the typical left ideology right now like most celebrities who are now dissolutioned with the present government, she has to apologize for her beliefs? Come on people, it's things like this that's causing the great divide in this country. If you do not prefer one side over the other, there's something wrong with you? Grow up America.

jcro December 30, 2011 | 9:03 PM

why should she keep it to herself when all the other singers and actors speak on the same subjects all the time....or is it bc she isnt for obama that she should shut up??????????????????

No December 30, 2011 | 12:39 PM

Oh, honey, I've done my research. But no, I'm not going to continue discussing this with you, because talking to a Paul supported is like talking to a brick wall. You view government as the enemy, and I think the real enemy is a government full of people who insist government is the enemy and will try their damndest to prove it. You won't convince me and I won't convince you. I am my brother's keeper and I care about people other than myself. Suffice it to say that I want to live in a country where women have the right to choose when or if they become mothers without being subject to the whim, people can marry as easily as straight people, no one dies because they have an uninsurable pre-existing condition and the ER won't treat chronic illnesses, students who weren't born wealthy can get college degrees with the help of student loan programs that Ron Paul wants to end, and senior citizens who aren't rich don't starve or go without necessary medications hoping for charity. I believe that the Constitution is a living document with valid interpretations not focused simply on what a group of men living in a very different world wrote. I agree with you about detainment without trial, and I also agree with Paul about entanglement in foreign wars and ending the war on drugs, but beyond that? No. His plans would do far more harm than good, from where I see it.

MrSnrub December 30, 2011 | 12:45 AM

Hey "No" "Paultards?" do you have anything relevant to add to the discussion? You obviously have some issues with change, and have no willingness to do your research on Ron Paul. He will set us back a century? You mean like when we had no income tax, no federal reserve, the dollar wasn't devalued by 97%, oh and our government couldn't detain us indefinitely without a trial?

No December 29, 2011 | 10:53 PM

Blah blah more Paultards comment-bombing every article that mentions him. He's Ayn Rand and her sociopathic followers' wet dream. He will set this country back a century.

Enal Droffits December 29, 2011 | 8:12 PM

I remember when liberals said "you have to have an open mind." They were the new kids on the block and wanted everyone to give the liberals a chance. Well, we have done so with George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and now Barack Hussein Obama. Some more liberal than others agreed and all with liberal or RINO republican controlled congresses. Now look how far we have come. So lets all vote for the RINO Romney, or the Money grubbing influence peddling Newt Gingrich, or one of the lessor known RINOs. Please don't look at Ron Paul his is unelectable, he has only been elected a dozen times in the past. He is too old, it seems an elder statesman is needed right now besides he is over 36 isn't he? What happened to the open minds, did their brains fall out?

ivykid December 29, 2011 | 6:32 PM

They sure hope that the 7 or 8 bad things in thousands of letters that were published during the thirty years of letters will make people think that they are Ron Paul’s views. These people are the same ones that think that Ron Paul is wrong about blowback. Watch this until the end, it’ll send chills down your spine. http://www.youtube/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XguvMUUtTtI