One Life To Live
Canceled Again!

All My Children and One Life to Live are dead in the water. It's been confirmed that the long-running ABC dramas won't get a new lease on life. Prospect Park has pulled the plug on their online reboot.

Prospect Park has officially halted their reboot of All My Children and One Life to Live. After five months of negotiations, they've backed down from their original plan of bringing the canceled daytime dramas to the web.

One Life to Live Cast

Despite Prospect Park's good intentions, they were unable to reach deals with the multiple acting and production guilds. According to Entertainment Weekly, without the backing of the unions, the company would be unable to sell the soaps to cable networks in the future. Also, it would be extremely hard to pay guild wages for the internet series, which would generate only a fraction of ABC's ad revenue.

In an official statement released by Prospect Park, they explain the reasoning behind their decision.

"While we narrowed in on a financial infrastructure, the contractual demands of the guilds, which regulate our industry, coupled with the program's inherent economic challenges ultimately led to this final decision. In the end, the constraints of the current marketplace, including the evolution and impact of new media on our industry simply proved too great a match for even our passion."

They continued, "After five months of negotiations with various guilds, hundreds of presentations to potential financial and technology partners, and a hope that we could pioneer a new network for the future, it is with great disappointment that we are suspending our aspirations to revive One Life to Live and All My Children via online distribution. It is now becoming clear that mounting issues make our ability to meet our deadlines to get OLTL on the air in a reasonable time period following its Jan. 13, 2012 ABC finale impossible."

This news may come as a shock to fans who have been following their cast negotiations. Prospect Park had already secured most of One Life to Live's star players including matriarch Erika Slezak, who's played Victoria Lord for 40 years. But All My Children, which went off the air in September, was at a standstill. Series' star Susan Lucci never signed on for the reboot, which was a huge blow to the production. They knew viewers would have a hard time tuning in to All My Children without the legendary Erica Kane.

Last week, One Life to Live taped their final episode, which will air Jan. 13, 2012.

Photo credit: WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Prospect Park kills All My Children reboot"

SueCub March 08, 2012 | 12:51 AM

Well it figures that somehow all the blame would go to the players (Susan Lucci) and the Guild instead of squarely where it belongs....in ABC's lap. ABC is just like the political government, when push comes to shove and they want something done they have henchmen to do it and when the blame rolls around the finger points to the lowest most vulnerable person on the totem pole. I will not and haven't watched ABC since AMC went off the air. No big deal, there wasn't anything on that channel except AMC anyway.

vicky March 06, 2012 | 6:10 PM

well since my only two favorite show are off the air...theirs nothing for me to watch on TV nothing nothing to watch....replacing it with another cooking show... we all turning to cooks and chefs these day... well i was hopping this will come true to keep my soap..... we should bring the soap to the night time nothing to watch at night any way better then the soap

vicki February 09, 2012 | 8:52 AM

Thanks alot ABC. Thats all it is is money. Never mind the loyal fans. I really hope the shows they put on FLOP!!!!

Deb February 07, 2012 | 1:02 PM

Well, well, how nice to treat your loyal watchers, AND artists so classy, not telling or discussing this idea with them long in advance. I have been a loyal watcher from the age of 18, I'm now 55 and have too made my choice.,not to be loyal to ABC.

Michelle February 06, 2012 | 2:54 PM

I've watched All My Children for 18 years. It's just so sad to see it go. I'm happy that i have some old episodes on vhs tapes from back in the day. i found i am hanging on to those. they are from the early 90's. Sara Michelle Geller was kendell at the time and Demetre was on the show..even Mona. Just miss the show..Love everyone on AMC!

Dorian January 25, 2012 | 6:59 PM

I watched AMC for over 20 years (compared to some who have watched for 40 years). I think it is an absolute disgrace that ABC left us all with that ridiculous "cliffhanger" that they thought would be resolved once it would start again on Prospect Park in January. Thanks a lot ABC! You suck and have no respect for AMC fans oh, and did I mention that you suck BIG TIME?

Debbie January 20, 2012 | 3:45 PM

just checked to see what was happening with All My Children/Prospect Park collaboration......how depressing and sad. I agree with all the others:( When I heard AMC was going off the air, I was SHOCKED and sooooo depressed. I had been watching since 1979. They were like really good friends. They would make you feel good if you had a bad day, etc.....I just really looked forward to "being with them" at the end of each day. I would unwind, get ready for bed and relax watching my favorite show...I feel like I have lost my best friends...nothing more to say.

Linda Lou December 18, 2011 | 11:45 AM

Sooooooo, All My Children got axed because they were looking for more revenue and better ratings. Went to a talk/cooking show. How innovative, never would have thought of it. Soooooo, ABC, how is that working for you? Another loyal 40 year fan who had watched AMC and patronized its sponsors down the gutter.

Nancy Wolf December 11, 2011 | 11:19 PM

I was so excited to hear that Prospect Park was going to air All My children and One Life to Live. I am very upset now. It isn't fair that my shows that I have watched since I was a child are never going to be a part of my life after January. And to replace them with such crap as that stupid The Chew and whatever other crap they are replacing One Life to Live with is just ridiculous. ABC is loosing an avid ABC viewer. I will not watch ABC again. They not only took away a part of my daily routine, they have taken away part of my life.

mona December 02, 2011 | 7:53 PM

ABC dropping One Life to Live for cooking show or health show, I will not watch. If people want to watch that stuff they have channels just for that!!! Tell abc you lost me as a view and i'm not alone. Bring the soaps back abc.

Rose December 02, 2011 | 6:29 PM

THis is for ABC. I will never watch another show on your chanel. Food shows are cheap by the dozen. Only watch the food chanel. will never buy any of your products advertise again. There are lots of other products on the market. I hope Proctor and gamble loose lots of costomers.

kelly December 01, 2011 | 12:22 PM

What a GIANT mistake it was to cancel these shows.

Lyna December 01, 2011 | 5:07 AM

I am so disappointed. I will miss these soaps so much. I hate ABC for taking them off the air for another food show and talk show. I have had enough of them. Prospect Park has let us down and I am not sure if what they say is the truth. I wished we could send messages to sponsors they wanted for the shows to let them know how much we want these shows on. Thank you to the actors and writers for all the have done.

col November 29, 2011 | 9:01 AM

Thank you Unions for being so greedy and screwing up the fans of OLTL. "According to Entertainment Weekly, without the backing of the unions, the company would be unable to sell the soaps to cable networks in the future. Also, it would be extremely hard to pay guild wages for the internet series, which would generate only a fraction of ABC's ad revenue." Nice.....

nancy weiss November 29, 2011 | 8:31 AM

why did you let everybody think you were going to do a good thing, by bring bak the soaps amc and oltl, so u dont have susan, big deal, i wouls still wath, u let it on amc with jr, shouting some-1, and now we will never know this is wrong unfair, to all the viewiers, try another way,dont give up please

cindy November 26, 2011 | 12:06 AM

looks like destiny will be pregnant with Mathew' baby for many years to come! Comments didn't save it before but a good try was given by us fans in the past. Maybe somewhere down the road they will be re-ran from the start and, people will think that it was a good idea and it will start a new family time with new shows where the food show is now. The powers that be threw them out and the loyal fans too like old trash. As long as we remember the soaps they will live on for years to come. Good-bye old friends your always alive in our hearts.