Bella's Dress:
"It Took Six Months!"

Carolina Herrera revealed that it took her over six months to create Bella Swan's wedding dress for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1. Find out why she's so nervous for fans to see it!

Carolina Herrera talks Breaking Dawn wedding dress

Raise your hands: Who camped out to see a midnight showing of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1? Don't be shy, we're raising our hands, too!

Sure, all Twilight fans know what happens in the movie — marriage, sexy time between Edward and Bella and a half vampire/half human baby. However, there's one thing we couldn't wait to find out about: Bella Swan's wedding dress!

The Breaking Dawn wedding dress has been the talk of Twilight fans for months — including leaked sketches and teaser photos — but now we finally got our look. We assume official photos of the dress will hit the web at some point today, but for now we can't ruin the surprise.

Designer Carolina Herrera can't wait for fans to see Bella's wedding dress on the big screen — she designed it, after all!

"I worked on that dress for like six months going back and forth," the iconic designer told E! News at the film's world premiere this week. "I still have all the sketches and everything because it was so special."

A drawn illustration published in Entertainment Weekly earlier this year left many speculating about what Bella's wedding dress would look like. So, where did Herrera get her inspiration for the gown?

"It was a combination of things," Herrera said. "I got inspiration from the book and descriptions from Stephenie Meyer. You had to really take in consideration the whole story — which was this innocent girl with the first true love of her life. It had to be magical."

Fans are waiting to see Bella's wedding dress

Meyer first described the dress earlier this year in an interview with USA Today.

"It's such an interesting mix," Meyer told the newspaper. "It has a vintage feel, but at the same time, there's an edge to it. It's really beautiful. And then on Kristen — oh, she looks amazing in clothes — and in that dress she's so lithe and unbelievable."

Herrera said designing such an anticipated dress was one of the more stressful events of her career. "There's so much expectations," she said. "I hope [the fans] like it."

Images courtesy WENN

Tell us, Breaking Dawn fans: What did you think of Bella Swan's wedding dress? Did it live up to your expectations?

Read on for more Breaking Dawn

Robert Pattinson's butt crack too spicy for Breaking Dawn
Breaking Dawn's Kristen Stewart and Nikki Reed not BFFs
Kellan Lutz brings new love to Breaking Dawn premiere

Tags: carolina herrera

Comments

Comments on "Carolina Herrera talks Breaking Dawn wedding dress"

Mary November 25, 2011 | 4:55 PM

I agree 100% with Dana. The dress was a major disappointment. It certainly didn't look anything like an Edwardian dress as described in the book. I thought it was downright boring.

Nikki November 21, 2011 | 12:35 PM

The dress was AH-MAZING!!! Every shot leading up to the big reveal was awe inspiring...I gasped when I got the full effect. The dress from the dream sequence was too predictable...everyone wears lace. To all you naysers out there...get a clue!!!

Caroline November 21, 2011 | 10:24 AM

I agree with Heather. I preferred the dress from the nightmare sequence! Anyone know who designed it?

doris November 21, 2011 | 8:54 AM

I love the dress it is beautiful the back of the dress very dramatic and on Kristen's body absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

Dana November 21, 2011 | 8:51 AM

The gown was absolutely NOTHING like the gown described in the book. How disappointing. Carolina Herrera had a real chance to step out of the box and be a real fashion trendsetter with this gown - possibly take the crown from Vera Wang as the wedding fashion trendsetter for this decade, but instead, we get a rather boring and nondescript sheath dress with a little detail at the back. The book described the gown as being from the Edwardian period but a little updated. You know - the Edwardian period - like what Kate Winslet wore in Titanic - so it should have had layered fabric, beautifully tailored, a shorter train, possibly short sleeves, a vintage feel with lace and/or a bit of subtle beading. With all the amazing type of gowns and incredible details available from the Edwardian period, something stunning and unforgettable could have been done that would have set wedding gown trends for years to come in the same way Vera Wang set trends with her strapless ballgown wedding gowns. Instead we get a very average, ho-hum/boring and usual gown. It's been done to death and it's not even a good version of it. I predict this boring gown will sell about as good as the copies of Bella's fugly engagement ring(another design disappointment from this series.) Very disappointed.

Babs November 21, 2011 | 8:29 AM

The dress was perfect!!! You have created a masterpiece in my opinion! The dress was slightly understated, which is appropriate since the attention is suppose to be on the bride. The dress was not overly tight nor too accessorized. The modest front and the gorgeous lace in the back were perfect for Kristen's diminutive frame. When the camera panned down the back of the dress, it did take my breath away.

dalaurya November 21, 2011 | 5:45 AM

Hererra must have some sort of learning disability or a huge case of carpal tunnel if it took her six months to make a nightgown. Way to under-dress someone to make it look like they didn't give a CRAP about their own wedding! Bella for the fail, as per usual.

Rosie November 21, 2011 | 2:51 AM

Really??? Was the fabric rocketed down from the moon??? Making so much ado bout nothing!! Didnt like the dress

Celticdee November 20, 2011 | 2:14 PM

I was delighted with Ms. Herrera's rendering. Very beautiful. The front was simple, but nothing like the boring strapless gowns 90% of brides seem to favor today. The back was exquisitely elegant and I found myself sighing with pleasure as I watched Bella approach Edward and the minister. Bella was stunning in it. Kudos Ms. Herrera. It was well worth the wait!

Twi-Hard Fan November 19, 2011 | 11:51 AM

Got so excited when I saw the back, then they showed the front and I wanted to love it so badly, but it just didn't do it for me. I'm a wedding photographer, so I've seen a lot of dresses, and as far as this one goes I have to agree with the nightgown statement.

JP November 19, 2011 | 11:43 AM

If you don't like the dress that is fine, everyone is different. BUT LOL at Kara, do a litle research on Carolina Herrera, I don't think she will be giving up her career because you don't like a fictional characters wedding dress.

Jo November 19, 2011 | 8:11 AM

I loved it, especially the lace at the back and the long flow to the drape at the base. As previously stated in other comments, some will like some will hate, at the end of the day everyone has their own opinion. I consider the back view to be more important as it is the one the guests look at the majority of the time so the front should be designed to please only the bride.

Cee November 19, 2011 | 7:46 AM

I almost waited a few extra months to buy my own wedding dress because I wanted to wait and see what this dress looked like. Once I received news that Alfred Angelo is the official retailer of Bella's dress, I got even more anxious to see what it looked like. They usually do an AMAZING job on their dresses. After watching that wedding scene, Herrera did a great job designing it, however, to me it was not at all portrayed like the book had it. Herrera's craftsmanship of the dress was amazing in the back, I think it looked perfect, the front, to me was plain. Is it timeless for our time? Yes. Is it something that was portrayed in the book? No. Needless to say, I am very happy of picking my wedding dress when I did and not waiting the extra months to see what this would look like.

Coco November 19, 2011 | 6:25 AM

Anyone who has a bad word to say about Bella's dress knows nothing at all about fashion. Nor do they know anything about weddings. A womans wedding dress is very personnal. It may or may not be to your taste but its about you at the end f the day. It is important to give credit where credit is due. I thought the dress was absolutely breath taking. Simple, understated. The craftmaship of the back shows simply how talented Carolina Herrera is. I'm a big fan of twillight and now an even bigger fan of Ms Herrera. Kudos to all parties involved.A job very well done.

Heather November 19, 2011 | 5:36 AM

it fit the way it was described in the book and i guess suited the wedding an everything, it could of done with something on the front more too plain, but then bella is plain to a point other then fact of the marrying into vampire family and a wolf as a best friend, but i personally didn't like i thought the one she wore in the dream, the night before the wedding was a lot better i was like omg i love that dress, then i saw it had the blood on it lol, still i liked i was like omg i want it with out the blood of course lol

Mimi November 18, 2011 | 11:05 PM

It was breathtaking....I'm getting married in two years and I want that dress!!!

Bella November 18, 2011 | 6:33 PM

The dress was an amazingly artistic design. It captured Bella's simplicities and Edward's Era. Touche to Carolina. The mixture of fabric and the cut in the front of the gown was not easy to create and it was done so with much care and experience. It truly was perfect.

Natalie November 18, 2011 | 6:02 PM

Any real fan of the series knows that the theme of Bella's wedding is Edward himself. The dress was to represent 1918, the year that he died and was transformed. She is to be the bride he was never supposed to have. A white satin sheath was perfect and looked amazing on Ms. Stewart. The daring back with the lace gave it just the right edge. The dress was also simple which would be Bella's taste. All in all it was a perfect design. Bravo.

Samantha November 18, 2011 | 5:45 PM

I didn't like it one bit. The back made it look like her spine was sticking out and it looked like a nightgown.

Cazza November 18, 2011 | 5:20 PM

The wedding dress was truly stunning. The back was exquisite and the front was stunning to the eye. A wedding dress is a very personal thing and not everyone is going to like it. However, everyone I have spoken to, has just ooooed and aghhhhhed over it. Let's face it, Kristen can make any dress look fabulous.