Depp Takes Aim At American Culture

Johnny Depp might be in hot water again for taking aim at his homeland by suggesting that Americans are unintelligent in his latest interview.

Actor Johnny Depp had another deep-thinking moment during an interview with Britain's Guardian newspaper when he suggested that the reason why his latest film, The Rum Diary, hasn't done too well in his homeland is because it's too much of an "intelligent film."

Depp, who is currently in London promoting the flick, reflected on why he thinks his film will fare better in Europe saying, "Most definitely. It's something that will be more appreciated over here, I think. Cos' it's -- well, I think it's an intelligent film." He then paused before saying, "And a lot of times, outside the big cities in the States, they don't want that."

This isn't the first time Depp, who lives in France with his partner Vanessa Paradis and their two children, has taken a jab at Americans and American culture. In 2003, the actor described the United States as "dumb," saying in an interview with Reuters, "America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive."

During his interview with the Guardian, the Kentucky native also added that even though he lives mostly in France, he won't be giving up his American citizenship because of tax purposes and that there are some things he likes better about European culture compared to American ways.

Asked if there's anything he dislikes about Europe, Depp said, "No. Not that I can think of, no. It's a very old and beautiful culture, people know how to live. You know, here you have Sunday roast or the pub lunch, that kind of thing. It's comforting. We don't have that in our culture in the States. Sunday is football day, so it's chicken wings and pizza."

So, tell us ladies, what would you rather do? Have pizza and watch Sunday football or have dinner in Paris with Depp? Pretty easy answer, right?

Image courtesy WENN

Tags: the rum dairy

Comments

Comments on "Did Johnny Depp say Americans were stupid?"

Rebecca February 02, 2013 | 6:53 PM

First of all, the U.S.A. is still a young country compared to any other country. And, honestly, it's been forever since Americans have contributed much in the arts: poetry and literature, for example. I can see why it's been labeled as "ignorant." For crying out loud, people enjoy Lil Wayne and Snoop Dog or Jason Aldeean and Kenny Chesney. No one wants to think about other, more pressing issues. But, really, who cares what Depp thinks? It's his opinion, and that's okay. He's just being honest. Do I agree with it all? No, but I'm not going to trash him for voicing his opinion. More than likely the media's played it up, anyway.

lee November 30, 2012 | 9:23 PM

Johnny seems a little high & mighty, he's only rich and lives over seas because of us.

Lena July 18, 2012 | 11:25 PM

I have seen the Rum Diaries. I would in no way describe this to be an "intelligent" film. Looks like all the time spent across the pond has givrn Johnny an inferiority complex. What with the 9th grade education and all, maybe it's understandable. Sad... But Puleeze, don't drag a whole nation along with you. A charming actor, yes, but not very wise to indict a whole country because you didn't want an education!

tracy Gallagher November 16, 2011 | 8:32 AM

to Katy- what are you even saying? I've read your comment three times and still can't follow what you are saying. I don't know if it's the lack of punctuation or just the random words like "how many US newspapers i write here and films made against other countries total false claims in them" that still have me shaking my head. As for Johnny Depp I can understand that he prefers living his life out of the limelight in some small French village, but when he implies that his entire homeland is unintelligent it just shows how ignorant he is.

anon November 11, 2011 | 2:58 PM

Jessica your comments prove Depp right, "He flat out calls an entire continent of people stupid" He doesn't he calls a country stupid. And Sherilyn he can own many first editions of books as it is well known that English literature is much better then the US's.

katy November 10, 2011 | 1:07 AM

i think Johnny Depp is an American who is saying that to his country not some European if he is saying that it means he is frustrated with it for something ..and Americans brag a lot that we believe in freedom of speech and other countries lack this then why such a cry baby when someone says something about their country ..how many US newspapers i write here and films made against other countries total false claims in them which mock other countries in a rude way don't these country fellow men feel bad

Sherilyn November 08, 2011 | 5:20 PM

Let me also add, here is an example of Depp's intelligence. The film The Tourist. He was quoted as the one that added the professor speaking Spanish. I don't think that an educated math professor, taking an anticipated trip of a life time, wouldn't know at least hello and thank you in the native tongue. I sure do when I travel to foreign countries. I think it is insulting not to. There is where the education of a ninth grader is able to call us Americans unintelligent. I don't know why I even bother to comment, probably because I am furious.

Sherilyn November 08, 2011 | 4:49 PM

Easy answer. I would rather have my usual Sunday roast with my husband any day over Johnny Depp. I was once a fan, admiring his success from small town boy to what he is, but not after such lewd comments, past and present, about American people and their culture. If it weren't for the support of his American fans he wouldn't have the pleasure of guzzling $1500 bottles of Haut Brion and read any, much less, own first editions of anything. All the while frolicking on his private island. If he loves the European culture so much then I say stay over there. I for one, will not support you or any future endeavors while you negate me. I hope you have been "enjoying the ride while it lasts" because I will be getting off the Depp merry-go-round as a supporting fan. I hope other American citizens are also as offended and disgusted as I, and will do the same.

miley November 08, 2011 | 10:47 AM

i think Depp is fond of living a simpler life ..don't get me wrong but America's life is more modernized than Europe..note depp doesn't live in a city in France but in some villiage ..of course he should not degrade his homeland whatever the reason he has but if you Americans consider yourself intelligent why you are degrading Europe just for revenge purpose from what Depp has said like miss jessica has done at one point she is saying why should anyone be concerned about what Depp says or thinks at the same point writing comments against Europe ..if you believe in freedom of speech then it's Depp's freedom of speech whatever he says ...

Jessica November 08, 2011 | 2:09 AM

I'll take those chicken wings and pizza at home on a Sunday with family any day over that "pub lunch" with Depp's condescension and snotty value judgments. Having been to several countries in Europe and lived in a couple I can safely say that Europeans do not "know how to live" simply by virtue of being Europeans, from "an old and beautiful culture" as he implies. He indicates that because American culture is different from and younger than European (if there is such a thing as a pan-European culture), it is inferior. So much for his supposed enlightened multiculturalism and pluralistic liberal worldview. He flat out calls an entire continent of people stupid, and singles out American people outside the big cities as categorically incapable of appreciating an "intelligent" film whereas in his view all Europeans, regardless of their socioeconomic and geopolitical background would have this ability. That is just plain "dumb". And yet he is perfectly happy to remain an American to enjoy the benefits of citizenship and for tax purposes while denigrating his homeland every opportunity he gets. What a snot. If I were to pass on the wondrous variety of chicken wings and pizza out there, and head over to Paris, I can definitely think of better company. Why does anyone care what Depp thinks again?